Thread: Turbo 3.5

Post Thanks / Like

LX Turbo 3.5

Hey guys finally gonna drop a turbo in my 09’ 3.5 charger. I’m going with a k04 turbo cause of the cheapness and size of them. I’ve been looking at these forums for a while and can’t find anyone that’s done it before. If anyone does know someone please let me know. I know a lot of people did superchargers back when tidal wave was still a thing, does anyone know how much boost those things where pushing out? I remember talk of 15 psi being max on these engines but I can’t seem to find the old post. If anyone has any info please help a brother out. Will keep this updated with build progress
    Likes agoristmike liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t know the 3.5’s really, but 15psi sounds a bit high to me. Don’t they have a compression ratio of 10:1 or 10.5:1? That might be doable on e85, but I’d be pretty worried about that boost on pump gas.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like
    They have a 9.9:1 compression, but they got forged rods and and cranks from the factory, so it should be good to handle higher boost. I was planning on keeping it around 8-10 for reliability

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B5_3.5 View Post
    They have a 9.9:1 compression, but they got forged rods and and cranks from the factory, so it should be good to handle higher boost. I was planning on keeping it around 8-10 for reliability
    Wow really? That's surprising since the 5.7 didn't even get a forged crank. Is there somewhere I can read up on that, cause it sounds fun.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my full build at worldsfastesthemi.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out allpar.com they got a really nice article on all the info and the development of it. I was just as surprised when I saw it
    Here’s the link:
    Chrysler/Dodge 3.5 liter V6 engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out allpar.com they got a really nice article on all the info and the development of it. I was just as surprised when I saw it
    Here’s the link:
    Chrysler/Dodge 3.5 liter V6 engines
    I see where it mentions the crankshaft being forged, and the iron sleeved cylinders, but I don't see any indication of forged pistons or rods?

also, regarding compression ratio, there's this quote on the 'third gen' 1999-2010 section:

“the new high output 3.5-liter engine is the best performing V6 available today in terms of total horsepower and torque ~ with 250 horsepower at 6600 rpm, 250 pound-feet of torque and a compression ratio of 10.1:1 The high output 3.5-liter also is among the leaders in specific torque and the only one to optimally run using mid-grade fuel.”

Not trying to be a jerk, just trying to drill down to the facts of the motor. If I can scoop a 3.5 maggie and twin turbo it, you better believe I will.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my full build at worldsfastesthemi.com

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go all the way down to the allpar arrival, there’s a chart that says the 3.5 they put in the LXs where 9.9:1, but that says it’s from 98-07? So it seems like some information conflict? But the dates don’t make sense either so who knows what’s actually right. Also I found where I heard the rods where forgerd.

Its a thread on a form called challengertalk.com
    that was very useful! so the crank and rods are forged and the cylinder liners are cast iron, nothing about the pistons”
    sadly the link to the article they are responding to is broken, and the article isn’t it’s full length :( so again, who knows what’s right and wrong.

Also remembered a SC kit by Modern Mucle that pushes 10psi, with higher numbers planned
    “V-3 Vortech S -Trim Head unit in your choice of 8 PSI, 10 PSI, Or H.O. with details coming on PSI output”
    Modern Muscle 3.5 V6 Supercharger Kit

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by tf34mech; 06-06-2019 at 11:44 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you go all the way down to the allpar arrival, there’s a chart that says the 3.5 they put in the LXs where 9.9:1, but that says it’s from 98-07? So it seems like some information conflict? But the dates don’t make sense either so who knows what’s actually right. Also I found where I heard the rods where forgerd.

Its a thread on a form called challengertalk.com
    that was very useful! so the crank and rods are forged and the cylinder liners are cast iron, nothing about the pistons”
    sadly the link to the article they are responding to is broken, and the article isn’t it’s full length :( so again, who knows what’s right and wrong.

Also remembered a SC kit by Modern Mucle that pushes 10psi, with higher numbers planned
    “V-3 Vortech S -Trim Head unit in your choice of 8 PSI, 10 PSI, Or H.O. with details coming on PSI output”
    Modern Muscle 3.5 V6 Supercharger Kit

I would assume that 9:9:1 is for 300M 3.5L engines since they had them and they're not the same as the gen 1. Gen 1 is 2005-2010 (300 wise). OR Maybe that's the difference between the HO version? I know the Plenum has an extra actuator on it ?