Thread: EGR Delete

Post Thanks / Like

EGR Delete

Hi,

So I finally got the car all buttoned up and I'm experiencing some surging at Idle (about a 300 RPM Surge) while in drive, and about 100 while in park.

I went thru the archives of the site and saw a bunch of people pointing to the EGR and just deleting it because of vacuum issues.

Can I just delete the EGR by blocking it off (apparently billet doesn't make them anymore) and not using a tuner to turn it off on the computer? I want to test it and see if the surging goes away and I don't want to bother the guy who tuned it too much.

I have a 2005 Dodge Magnum AWD and when changing the oil the other day (just rebuilt it and ran 100 miles) and noticed it took a different oil filter than before all the problems. Turns out the old block was too banged up to do quickly and the machine shop gave me a 2011 or newer 5.7 block with new pistons and everything, with my cam popped into it.

From what I researched, the 2010 and up did not have the EGR on the motor. So I'm thinking of deleting the EGR.

Long Story short, can I just delete the EGR and not turn it off in the computer.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    At the very least you'll have a check engine light on if you dont turn it off on the computer. Not a huge deal if you dont need to pass an emissions test like we do in CA. There may be other issues I dont know of as well though.

2006 Magnum RT, eagle heads, 6.1 cam, 6.4 intake, SRT headers, Magnaflow catback, custom tune, SRT rims... and more
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T: K&N CAI, SRT headers, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, 180 degree t-stat, Diablo Trinity T1000, 300 SRT rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can live with a light on until I get it back to him, no emissions in Miami. I just don’t want to harass the poor guy for something like deleting the egr. I also want to just test if the surge issue goes away.

thanks for the quick reply! Now I just need to find a egr delete kit as billet stopped selling them from what I saw.

Post Thanks / Like
    You are running a VVT block?

Post Thanks / Like
    Apparently. Not how I wanted it to happen. Anything I should be concerned about?
    the rest of the car is all parts from my regular engine. The heads intake and the like.

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I’m gathering.

5.7 2011 and up block
    5.7 2005 heads
    2005 6.1 timing set
    2005 6.1 oil pump
    268 comp cam camshaft
    2005 Intake manifold and air filter box, spark plugs, Taylor shorty wires
    The ever popular eBay headers

is this thing going to run like ****? I already had it tuned and am making adjustments here and there but with the rpm surging and it wanting to sometimes bug out it had me looking for solutions. Never once did I think it could be a block problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Having a hard time figuring out how this works: It seems like the later block would need a VVT cam, as I have heard the journals are different and cam is slightly longer(yes?, no?) The early computer is not going to run VVT. Is the cam a custom non-VVT grind onto a VVT blank? Or is this why it is surging. I don’t know for sure, but throwing it out there for the experts to weigh in.
    Eibach Pro-kit springs and sway bars, Koni dampeners, K&N Intake, Predator tune by Stu, 180 T-stat, BT park lock replacement, catch can, and dipstick handle Pedders tension strut bushings & bump-steer kit, Blastin' Bob's 4db resonator kit, Inertia Super Spartan cam,6.1 springs & pushrods, JBA shorties, 6.1 pulley, '08 Charger 18's with Yokohama YK580's 235/55/18 front 255/55/18 rear, R1 Concepts premium front & rear rotors,B&M trans dipstick, Mercedes trans pan, Energy Suspension diff and subframe bushings, 3.06 Getrag

Post Thanks / Like
    Called the machine shop that supplied and did the work on the block. He said everything that was in my motor bolted right up so it can’t be vvt. I’m paraphrasing but from what he said my comp wouldn’t have even fit if it was the wrong block. Plus it does have the egr and everything did bolt up properly.

maybe this is a Durango block. I saw something on knowyourparts that mentioned Durango’s couldn’t get the vvt block at first because of the pcm. Might explain why there was a hole where the truck dipstick was supposed to go when we first got it back.

it did take a penzoil p173 filter as opposed to the 2005 pz19

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaMagnum View Post
    Called the machine shop that supplied and did the work on the block. He said everything that was in my motor bolted right up so it can’t be vvt. I’m paraphrasing but from what he said my comp wouldn’t have even fit if it was the wrong block. Plus it does have the egr and everything did bolt up properly.

maybe this is a Durango block. I saw something on knowyourparts that mentioned Durango’s couldn’t get the vvt block at first because of the pcm. Might explain why there was a hole where the truck dipstick was supposed to go when we first got it back.

it did take a penzoil p173 filter as opposed to the 2005 pz19
    VVT started with the 5.7(Eagle series) in 2009. As you already noted there is no way they used an Eagle block with your pre Eagle non VVT cam. Anything that was 09'+ with a 5.7 got the Eagle 5.7 cars, RAMS, Durango's, Jeeps everything. Front covers are different. You won't find a pre Eagle engine in a 09 or newer vehicle. TRUCK based engines had the dip stick on the other side than cars.
    2005 Chrysler 300C 5.7 SBE, ported big valved heads, 784ac lifters, SRT 6.1 intake manifold, SRT shorties, custom grind Billy Drakeford cam, SLP LM1, MTCM and GETRAG 3.06 swap.

Post Thanks / Like
    A buddy of mine at work were discussing the model years. He stated up 2010 had non Eagle in the WK old Jeep Grand Cherokee. The model before the 3.6. Either way glad you got a new block and pistons!