Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to me though that oil that probably leaks past the connecting rod bearings would get slung around?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005rtmag View Post
    Seems to me though that oil that probably leaks past the connecting rod bearings would get slung around?
    There is some. But this is more oil being slinged off the crank vs splashed.

Even then, there would only be a few degrees in that rotation that oil would fly up hit the cam, and it would be kinda difficult from a physics standpoint for oil to hit the cam, while it is rotating- stay attached and some how work itself up on to the roller and into the roller bearings that are shielded from any oil slinging from crank by said cam while also moving up and down. Oil does not flow better up hill than down oddly enough.

I would also point out that the oil coming out isn't as much as one would think, otherwise if there was enough then why would the SRT hemis have the piston squirters when crank sling would do it?
    2011 Dodge Charger Pursuit 113K Miles. Stock for Now.
    Cop Brakes, Cop Exhaust, Cop Suspension,
    It's the model with the big bull bar so pedestrians get out of the way.

Likes GTSDart340 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe some pics to help folks understand might help...

These pics are from the 445 Al build. Originally, I took the pics to demonstrate how useless the piston oil squirters really are on stroked engines (even stock SRTs where they are often found in the bottom of the oil pan). You can see the tubes have been cut and pinched closed to ensure oil flow is reverted back to the main oil galley to assist elsewhere throughout the engine. If you look carefully, the camshaft is barely visible (line-of-sight) through a very small window between the main oil galley and the lower (machined) casting that supports the bottom of the barrels. It should be obvious that indirect oiling (non-pressurized / indirect lubrication) by-way of oil sling - is foolhardy mindset:

Lifter lubrication:
    - The top of each pair of lifters is a cast-in oil pool created as upper lubrication returns to the sump (indirect oiling - in fact the oil return holes have been found to be a restriction at very high rpm)
    - Without getting into lifter function; the waisted area supplies direct (pressurized) oil to fill the plunger to address dynamic valve lash
    - The same waisted area on the lifter opens to the bottom of the lifter casting while travelling the heel area to lubricate the rollers / camshaft lobe interface and needle bearing assemblies.

Finally, the aforementioned 2nd video meant to defend the original video is pretty lame on most of the points presented. Whoever mentioned the ancient days and still being married to the mindset of oil bathing-style (indirect - non-pressurized lubrication systems) - needs to migrate forward into the 20th / 21st century of engine design...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 10-14-2020 at 08:10 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Thanks CE9311 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well said Hemi.

Also, glad to see your ability to get photos and post them are well beyond a bucket of lifters capabilities.

Thanks Hemissary thanked for this post
    Likes someotherguy, GTSDart340, Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CE9311 View Post
    Well said Hemi.

Also, glad to see your ability to get photos and post them are well beyond a bucket of lifters capabilities.
    ‚ÄčThat made me laugh out loud :^D
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    BUCKETS OF THEM tho
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CE9311 View Post
    I would also point out that the oil coming out isn't as much as one would think, otherwise if there was enough then why would the SRT hemis have the piston squirters when crank sling would do it?

Oil squirters are for temperature control of the pistons, not for lubrication. 5.7L didn't show a temperature benefit from them, but the 6.1, 6.4 did. You see them more and more on high c/r and turbo engines to help manage piston temps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm7 View Post
    Oil squirters are for temperature control of the pistons, not for lubrication. 5.7L didn't show a temperature benefit from them, but the 6.1, 6.4 did. You see them more and more on high c/r and turbo engines to help manage piston temps.
    We understand oil squirter functionality, especially their effectivity or lack thereof in this application...what's your point here?
    Last edited by Hemissary; 10-16-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    We understand oil squirter functionality, especially their effectivity or lack thereof in this application...what's your point here?
    Please re-read my original post - I quoted another post that implied oil squirters added extra lubrication to the SRT engines. I was simply trying to correct that. There are people with all kinds of skill and knowledge levels on this site so what is the harm in correcting misunderstandings?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jdm7 View Post
    Please re-read my original post - I quoted another post that implied oil squirters added extra lubrication to the SRT engines. I was simply trying to correct that. There are people with all kinds of skill and knowledge levels on this site so what is the harm in correcting misunderstandings?
    No, you mis-understood the post. Re read it. I never said oil squirters were used for Lubrication in any way. I used them as a supplemental device for proving a point having a shared region of use.

I basically said, if the oil being slingged off a crank is suppose to be enough to lube a cam, and lifter set, than surely within the degree range of the throws it has a higher chance/amount of hitting said piston bottoms vs the cam. Seeing that SRT put the oil squirters in there it would stand to reason that oil sling is in no way any viable form of cooling, or even lubrication for the cam. Except I said this in a shorten laymans terms that assumed other would understand what I was getting at.

Hence why the argument that crank splash or sling is the key to lifter failure is total BS argument on GEN III Hemis.

Likes Hemissary liked this post

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345