Post Thanks / Like

Question Charge Primary Vehicle Battery through 7 Pin Tow Plug?

Is it possible to trickle charge / maintain battery voltage through the 7 pin towing connector on a vehicle? I am not trying to charge a tow vehicle. I'm trying to charge the main battery through the 7 pin connector on the back as a convenient plug.

I don't drive my 2006 Magnum SRT8 very much and would like to keep the battery from going flat.

I also have this problem with my 2010 Dodge RAM 1500.

Both vehicles have 7 pin trailer plugs, so it would be great if I could wire up a solar powered battery charger that would keep the batteries of these vehicles topped off.

A simple magnetic break away cable would keep my wife from forgetting to disconnect and driving off damaging the equipment.

Searches on this topic so far have only yielded people wanting to charge their tow vehicle with the lead vehicle. I am trying to charge the lead vehicle with something that is easily disconnected and reconnected. I do not have an outlet anywhere near where I park these vehicles.

@fnkychkn can you see, without too much trouble, if these circuits are diode protected to prevent charging the main battery through these plugs?
    Did the radiator cap mod: SRT8 is here....
    The Hemi says, "VROOOM!" Hemi Registry #00420

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there are any circuits hot all the time on the plug when the key is off, perhaps when the brake pedal is pressed but you don't want to back feed like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    A 7 pin towing connector has a 12V hot and a ground wire.

I am not talking about back feeding through a lighting circuit but rather trickle charging through the 12V+ and the GND wires.

Post Thanks / Like
    I stand corrected thanks. Then it looks like you can do it. Just make up a pigtail.
    You will need to make sure it doesn't talk to your CANBUS and keep waking up your cluster DIC and such.
    I connected a radar detector (RD) to a circuit in the overhead console and experienced this. I cannot remember all the details but it had to do with if I setup the RD to auto on or not.

Will be interested in how you make come out on this.

Post Thanks / Like
    I put a solar panel suction cupped to the rear quarter window, ran the leads direct to the battery

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gapi View Post
    I stand corrected thanks. Then it looks like you can do it. Just make up a pigtail.
    You will need to make sure it doesn't talk to your CANBUS and keep waking up your cluster DIC and such.
    I connected a radar detector (RD) to a circuit in the overhead console and experienced this. I cannot remember all the details but it had to do with if I setup the RD to auto on or not.

Will be interested in how you make come out on this.
    I've got some stuff on order. I'll give it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
    I put a solar panel suction cupped to the rear quarter window, ran the leads direct to the battery
    Yeah, I wanted to avoid something that required opening the hood. Being able to charge from an external connector on the car / truck in this case would be preferred, for me. Glad you have a good solution though. I tried one of those solar panel trickle chargers and it was draining more power from my battery at night than it was creating during the day. (Cheap **** solar panels aren't diode protected... even decent diode protected ones can still cause a tiny bit of drain if they aren't disconnected from the circuit. I'm pretty sure the one I had was the cheapest garbage quality trickle charger available at the time. One of those: I should have bought a better one situations.)

So I'm making my own now.

Post Thanks / Like
    My trickle charger came with a cig lighter adapter, since the plug in the center console is hot I plug it in there, hard to drive away with the cord coming out the drivers door and only takes a second to plug/unplug
    2006 Charger SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joekd View Post
    My trickle charger came with a cig lighter adapter, since the plug in the center console is hot I plug it in there, hard to drive away with the cord coming out the drivers door and only takes a second to plug/unplug

Is your trickle charger plugged into an outlet? I don't have an outlet anywhere near where my 2 vehicles are parked. I need to trickle charge the batteries via a solar panel and charge controller that can do "float".

Also, regarding: "Hard to drive away with the cord coming out the driver's door". For my truck, the cord would be coming out the passenger's door. My wife would absolutely drive away with it still connected.