Post Thanks / Like

Removing Front Axle Shafts

Removing axle halfshafts on front of AWD, R/T.
    Do I need to release both top and bottom of knuckle, or will it swing far enough out of the way, to let the axle come out, by just removing lower end?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven't downloaded a copy of the service manual, do it. To remove and replace the front axles, you need to remove the shock clevis, and separate the ball joint on the upper control arm.
    2006 Black Magnum RT AWD - Sidewinder Cam * Ported Heads * Edelbrock Shorty Headers * Cherry Bomb Vortex Cat Back * SLP Dual-Wall tips * Volant CAI * Diablo Trinity * Johan Tune * KW V2 * 2013 Dodge Charger 19" AWD Wheels *

2010 Black Jeep Commander Limited

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a manual, and it states you have to remove the knuckle, but manuals are written by engineers, and not mechanics. They seldom cover shortcuts. looking for someone who has actually done it.

Post Thanks / Like
    You will at a minimum have to remove the lower ball joint on the knuckle and the shock clevis bolt and bracket. I did this last week to replace the lower control arms again for the second time. I left the upper control arm and tie rod end link attached to the knuckle. I know I had enough room for the axel to move but don't know if I had the room to remove and replace. If you had a helper you may be able to create enough room if you removed the tie rod end from the knuckle.

Best of luck and go step by step to see how much room you need to make. Be cautious not to rip or tear any of the boots on the upper ball/lower ball/tie rod or you will bet replacing more items.

I replaced my left drivers side axel with a CARDONE SELECT Part No. 663557. its been trouble free and installed at 88k. I now have 104k on the car. I am still rocking the stock factory original axel on the passenger side.

Cheers...
    Likes beirutbob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    For those who may be following, the upper ball joint does NOT need to be separated to remove CV shafts. I just removed caliper bracket and caliper, upper swaybar link, and the strut fork. Then, release lower ball joint, and the knuckle swings out of the way.