Thread: Fluid leak

Post Thanks / Like

Fluid leak

I searched and did not find my specific issue. My 06 Magnum RT developed a pretty bad leak between the TC and transmission recently. The fluid is brownish and doesn't smell like ATF, so I'm guessing the TC is leaking. Is it likely just the input seal that went out or did something like a worn bushing cause this? I didn't see any mention of common failures in that regard.

My second question relates to the TSB for the friction plate removal. I haven't noticed the shudder in low speed turns with this car, but do notice at low speeds, like in a traffic jam, I get a feeling in the front end as if I have an out of round wheel where one side of the car seems to rise and drop. I've replaced my wheels/tires and it still does that. No vibration is felt at speed. I'm wondering if that is related as I'd like to do that TSB procedure if I have the TC out of the car (if it needs it of course)

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    If tc = tranny cooler then yeah probably a bad o ring or loose fitting on the cooler end, which you pretty much have to remove the front bumper cover to get to without cussing it out every 30 sec. The lines are mostly metal minus a small rubber section but I can't remember since my tranny swap. Never heard anything about the rubber parts failing or o rings but it's worth a check

But if you meant torque converter, the seal around the shaft might be failing, yes. Also neither tranny likes water in the converters so they shudder even with very tiny amounts.

Can't say anything about the friction plate tsb never heard about it

Also brown (burned) ATF smells different than normal and indicates it probably needs changed and possible damage internally.
    Last edited by Ultimagic5; 10-16-2019 at 09:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant transfer case when I said TC

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moldymac View Post
    I meant transfer case when I said TC
    Ah, don't have the AWD so can't comment there
    Hopefully someone else can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moldymac View Post
    I searched and did not find my specific issue. My 06 Magnum RT developed a pretty bad leak between the TC and transmission recently.
    It might be the seal in the transfer case where the passenger side axle goes into the transfer case. My Magnum was making a kind of a rubbing sound for one or two seconds if I floored it from a stand still. It sounded like it was coming from the driver side so I replaced the cv axle and wheel bearing on that side and that didn't do anything. When I replaced my transfer case fluid, it started leaking out from the inner cv axle boot when it was nearly full. I have a new seal, but haven't replaced it yet. I've never replaced a seal before so anyone with experience replacing seals, please throw your two cents in.
    2006 Black Magnum RT AWD - Sidewinder Cam * Ported Heads * Edelbrock Shorty Headers * Cherry Bomb Vortex Cat Back * SLP Dual-Wall tips * Volant CAI * Diablo Trinity * Johan Tune * KW V2 * 2013 Dodge Charger 19" AWD Wheels *

2010 Black Jeep Commander Limited