Post Thanks / Like

2009 Gear Ratios For SCCA Road Racer

I have a "2009" Dodge Challenger with the 5.7L TR6060, 3.91 H226 Getrag Rear end. The car is used exclusively for road racing (not road legal). I run Hoosier R7 295/30R18 tires.

I have found over the years of running the car that the 3.91 with smaller tires, while pulling well out of the corner, lends itself to either awkward shifts mid-corner, more shifting than my competitors, or sitting on the redline (6200, in my case) until the braking zone.

With big race plans and a motor upgrade planned for next year, I was hoping to find a more driveable final drive. 3.73 might work, but apparently people gone done lost their minds and think it's worth it's weight in gold. The 3.55 that was available in the aftermarket gets me closest to "stock" ratios, but I'm having trouble finding it anymore. And I'd really like to find a place that superfinishes the gears as well.

Any thoughts/leads on where I could get 3.55 SF gears for the H226? Or even leads on 3.73s for a less-than-obscene price? Are there anyplaces in central/east coast areas that are trusted for the H226 rebuilds?

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Us gear has some sf gear sets. I use their 4.10 set for my challenger in drag racing. I don’t know what other ratios they offer for the h226. Check their catalog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    You could always swap the cradle and convert to a Hellcat ZF 3.70.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group

Post Thanks / Like
    Or maybe just a transmission swap would be better, have to run the numbers to see. What gear are you redlining in?

TR-6060

TR-6060 Hellcat

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group

Post Thanks / Like
    Long-time LXF member Hemi31 (Erik) runs BFNY Performance near Cleveland, OH. He knows the Getrag very well and probably well worth a call.
    FURIOUS FUCHSIA 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
    WHOA RideTech coilovers, Hotchkis sways, PowerGrid endlinks, REM & Petty braces, CTP/BFNY bushings, AAD harness bar w/ Sabelt 6pts // SLOW SMF SRT 14.2 front & Pursuit BR9 13.8 rear rotors, Carbotech pads, Russell lines // FLOW LMI F-IV intake, Belanger Tri-Y headers, Zoomers catback, Joelvan's p/s pulley & dual-pass radiator, Russell p/s cooler // GO 215mm Wavetrac diff, AMG diff cooler & BlueTops, B&M pan, Tranzformer & NoESP // AERO 392 front clip // SHOW WebElectric, Hurst, Billet Tech, RiderGraphix, Performance Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    I went thru this in the spring. I called everyone I could find for a 3.55 for my Getrag. Finally found a 3.73. Unitrax may have 3.23s. Slidd may have good point in Hellcat cradle. The Getrag seems to be red headed step child. Even the dealer where I work cant get any internal parts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all for the info, there's at least some leads to follow up on. I saw the US Gear stuff, but was bummed when I saw the ratios go from 3.23 to 4.10... maybe the only stock they have left? I've started doing some of the sawtooth/tractive effort curves, but I think 4.10 will just make my issues worse, and the 3.23 would be too tall. 3.23 would also probably force a 2nd gear start, and gear changes at the green flag can be...problematic.

The Getrag is for sure a red-headed step child. I've also run against CTS-Vs with the same diff that said there were thermal concerns when racing, but my diff oil always looks pretty good at the end of the year. I've pondered the swap to the 15+ rear cradle (not technically legal at this point, but we're developing the rules as we go). Concerns are money (always), the current cradle was "customized" to remove the bushings and weld in steel inserts, and I currently have two 08-14 TR6060s with the 3 bolt flange... I'd have to get the new flange that mates to the new CV propshaft. The ZF units do seem better in every way though.

The Hellcat TR6060 is another consideration, especially since it comes with the internal pump I could connect to a cooler. But, again, my trans oil looks great every year and Blackstone is wondering why the hell I change it. FYI, right now my car is primarly a 3-4 gear car, 5th at mid-ohio. If I do Indy next year with current ratios, 6th might actually come into play. I'd rather keep it mostly in the 3-4 ballpark.