Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    DFW-Texas
    Posts
    1,365
    Post Thanks / Like

    Front strut question

    Have a 2008 Challenger, (SRT8 only option that year) with about 85,000 miles.

    Roads down here in the DFW metroplex have been under heavy construction in my area for the better part of 5 years. TBH, they're crap right now. I've got another front end clunk, that only happens when it's closer to freezing temps, and goes away after about 15min of driving. Sway bar bushings, end links, and upper control arms were all replaced last year. Upper control arm was the culprit last time, but doubt this time as it's not presenting the same way.

    My thoughts on what it could be:

    1)Strut isolator has deteriorated after 13 years, but engine heat causes it to expand enough to be quiet,
    2)Strut is on its way out, but after usage the fluid heats up and it quiets down,
    3)I have a lower control arm/tension strut ball joint or rubber bushing going out.

    I'm thinking of just rehabbing the entire front suspension minus the year old parts, but I have a question about the struts:

    Is the spring assembly on top of the strut a separate piece, or do all replacement struts come with a new spring assembly attached? If I went with the stock sized B6 Bilsteins, do I need a spring compressor to swap that assembly over from the old strut to the newer one? Are new isolators typically included, or is that a separate purchase?

    It's my daily driver, and I have a full week coming up for spring break in March, but I need to be sure I have all the parts there ready to go, because ordering and shipping could cause me a problem getting it in time to return to service.


    Thanks boys!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    10,651
    Post Thanks / Like
    The strut cap is usually not included so you'll either have to swap over or buy new ones. They're not that expensive so I'd say buy new ones with your new setup.

    2006 300 SRT8 / 2012 300 SRT8

    Thanks aim4squirrels thanked for this post
    Likes aim4squirrels liked this post

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BryGuy View Post
    The strut cap is usually not included so you'll either have to swap over or buy new ones. They're not that expensive so I'd say buy new ones with your new setup.
    And after 13 years it's time to change them, they're rubber and have probably degraded by now.

    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto
    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

    Oh Drat! Racing
    Likes BryGuy liked this post

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    DFW-Texas
    Posts
    1,365
    Post Thanks / Like
    So does the rubber isolator come right off the top of the spring assembly, or do I need a spring compressor to hold the spring while I replace the cap b/c it's all one piece?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    So does the rubber isolator come right off the top of the spring assembly, or do I need a spring compressor to hold the spring while I replace the cap b/c it's all one piece?
    You'll need a compressor to take the spring off the old strut. The rubber isolator assembly holds the spring in place. I believe there's one nut to remove AFTER you've safely compressed the spring. You must remove all pressure from the mount or your going to have a bad day...

    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto
    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

    Oh Drat! Racing

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    DFW-Texas
    Posts
    1,365
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    You must remove all pressure from the mount or your going to have a bad day...

    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto
    LOL, yes. That would make for an interesting trip to the hospital. I didn't know if the 3 strut tower mounting bolts were fused to the cap and the rubber piece was lift off almost like a gasket, or if it was fused to the cap. Appears it's fused to the cap

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    286
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aim4squirrels View Post
    LOL, yes. That would make for an interesting trip to the hospital. I didn't know if the 3 strut tower mounting bolts were fused to the cap and the rubber piece was lift off almost like a gasket, or if it was fused to the cap. Appears it's fused to the cap
    Yeah the whole cap is the strut mount. The 3 bolts hold it to the car, and the large nut in the middle holds the mount to the strut.

    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto
    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

    1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

    2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

    Oh Drat! Racing
    Thanks aim4squirrels thanked for this post
    Likes aim4squirrels liked this post

Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •