Post Thanks / Like

Wrong rotor size?

Looking for some help on the brakes my 16 R/T Shaker.
    I did a set of pads and rotors on my car and used the slotted and drilled rotors from power stop (AR8359XPR)
    the pad has full contact with the rotor, but the contact patch does not cover the full surface of the rotor.
    I contacted a dealer to get the correct rotor matched to my vin (5154118AD) and they look visually the same and I'm using oem pads. So I'm stumped to my issue. Is it just a visual annoyance I have to live with?

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

un73CEe.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    What size rotor? Maybe it's right but something looks off. Stock R/T is 13.6" but that part number came up as 12.6". Also supposed to be drilled and slotted but pic shows otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I got these rotors through RockAuto and they say they are 13.6 More Information for POWER STOP AR8359XPR

They are drilled as well, its just the wheel spoke is covering them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have the correct rotors, or the pads wouldn't go all the way over the outer lip. I think they sent you the pads for the 12.6 rotors instead of the 13.6. that would explain the 1" of no contact towards the hat.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    I think you have the correct rotors, or the pads wouldn't go all the way over the outer lip. I think they sent you the pads for the 12.6 rotors instead of the 13.6. that would explain the 1" of no contact towards the hat.

That would make sense, although I got the set of pads through my dealer and apparently it was for my vin. Anyone know what the correct OEM pad P/N should be?

Also, I got a set of StopTech pads that I was going to use for the track (p/n: 309.10580) and they look to be the the same size as what's on the car now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AllenSunnyD View Post
    That would make sense, although I got the set of pads through my dealer and apparently it was for my vin. Anyone know what the correct OEM pad P/N should be?

Also, I got a set of StopTech pads that I was going to use for the track (p/n: 309.10580) and they look to be the the same size as what's on the car now.
    Go to AutoZone or Advance and ask to compare the pads from the 12.6 and the 13.6 rotors. That will tell you for sure without disassembling your car or spending money. Then you can take measurements of both style pads and go from there.

Likes KYUUBI liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This may not apply... Just a FYI.

When I put the big brake kit on my 10 Challenger (SRT rotors up front and Daytona Police in the rear) I used Corvette C6 Base Pads on my stock calipers. The only thing I needed to was grind off the C6 center tab on the pad.

2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site

Post Thanks / Like
    I just looked at my 05 RT's rear brakes and if it means anything, my pads go closer to the hat. So, I would guess you have the wrong pads.

HWDan is offline 2005 Magnum RT amd 2017 Charger SRT 392!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think that's normal. I remember looking over a bunch of resales at my dealer while one of my cars was in for service and I made that very observation - that contact patch on the front rotors is a lot smaller, with that rusty area on the newer cars compared to my 2005 Magnum RT.
    Last edited by HWDan; 11-06-2019 at 08:00 PM.
    Hot Wheel Dan

2005 Magnum RT and 2017 Charger SRT Maximum Steel!

Post Thanks / Like
    how's this compare? I pulled this image off a dealer resale add, you can see the same or almost similar untouched area.

$_59.JPG

and from another on eBay, similar small contact pattern ...

Last edited by HWDan; 11-06-2019 at 08:13 PM.
    Hot Wheel Dan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by HWDan View Post
    how's this compare? I pulled this image off a dealer resale add, you can see the same or almost similar untouched area.

$_59.JPG

and from another on eBay, similar small contact pattern ...

Those images show contact all the way to the point where the hat "dips in" before actually forming.

The OP has a solid inch of rotor surface not being touched based on the slot. They don't slot them that much more than the pad touches.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    Those images show contact all the way to the point where the hat "dips in" before actually forming.

The OP has a solid inch of rotor surface not being touched based on the slot. They don't slot them that much more than the pad touches.

Oh right I can make out that dip area in the bigger pic I posted now. So if I see it right, the OP's Powerstop rotors have a larger machined surface area where the OEMs start dipping. Probably because they can reuse the same casting for more applications? Like the earlier LX rotors where the pads do cover almost right to the hat?
    Hot Wheel Dan

Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The chances are greater that the pads are for the smaller rotors than mutli- application rotors.

Mopar isn't shy about using the same parts across many platforms for sure, but usually different sized rotors don't cross over