Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 43 of 43
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    126
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by netnathan View Post
    The bean colors pretty much explains who you are...
    WTF are bean colors lmao?



  2. #32
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Posts
    852
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moros323 View Post
    WTF are bean colors lmao?
    see all the red underneath your username on your posts? Those are bean colors.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Check out my full build at worldsfastesthemi.com

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    NH
    Posts
    7,571
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moros323 View Post
    WTF are bean colors lmao?
    Red is bad, green is good. Kind of a barometer as to how people see you and what you've posted.
    2006 Charger Brilliant Black R/T w/R&T Package, 6.1 Arrington based 426 Hemi @ 13:1 compression 2016 Hellcat Charger rear cradle and brakes swap, DSS 4" custom driveshaft, 3.09 Scat Pack rear diff.
    Likes netnathan liked this post

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Jarrell, TX
    Posts
    1,218
    Post Thanks / Like
    Red Beans... Simon gives them to me for free. I kinda wear them as a badge of honor. LMFAO
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    What does anyone say about the articles from reputable sources, i.e. hotrod magazine testing coil packs like SOS on the 5.7l Hemi and getting actual dyno proven improvements? I'm at about 110k on my 06 Magnum RT and mpgs are pretty bad as well as the occasional rough idle(no misfires or codes being thrown YET) and am considering refreshing to OEM/ upgrading to SOS.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLAgordo View Post
    What does anyone say about the articles from reputable sources, i.e. hotrod magazine testing coil packs like SOS on the 5.7l Hemi and getting actual dyno proven improvements? I'm at about 110k on my 06 Magnum RT and mpgs are pretty bad as well as the occasional rough idle(no misfires or codes being thrown YET) and am considering refreshing to OEM/ upgrading to SOS.
    They advertise in the rag...not much more to say. E3 sparkplugs, along with many other rip-off parts also advertise in rags. Save your money and buy stuff that does what it claims.

    Replacing coils for the sake of it, is pointless / waste of money. They have n moving parts, no smarts. If they begin to fail the PCM sets a DTC. Failure mode is the insulating varnish on the primary and / or secondary coil winding(s) that causes shorting. This reduces output, produces increasing heat that eventually swells the potting compound and case case to crack.

    If the coil pack s are functioning (they very rarely fail)...leave em' alone. Finally, OEM coil packs are being used on most (if not) of the fast Hemi's out there.

    p.s. any coil pack that does actually exhibit winding changes that might produce more voltage at the plug, have not taken into account the PCM's dwell value (circuitry) expectations. To understand what dwell / ringing is and how it causes heating at idle (hence why early SRTs incorporated a bleed cap), Google it :^)
    Last edited by Hemissary; 06-19-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

    Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

    Likes 08toredrt, 2010 300c, ronan978 liked this post

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2016
    Posts
    3,151
    Post Thanks / Like
    There’s a guy with a 9 second NA gen1 Charger still running oem ignition system. I’d think you may be downgrading by not using the oem in this case.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info. It's just hard to get good information. Forums say one thing, a publication shows dyno results(reputability apparently in question), you hear stories of people that get spread... Always fun digging through and finding the truth.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like
    Are multiple spark systems still a thing? Back in the day it made a big difference on carbed engines.
    62 Chrysler Newport -- 68 Plymouth Barracuda -- 98 Dodge Neon Sport -- 98 Dodge Ram SS/T -- 2006 Dodge Charger R/T

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLAgordo View Post
    Thanks for the info. It's just hard to get good information. Forums say one thing, a publication shows dyno results(reputability apparently in question), you hear stories of people that get spread... Always fun digging through and finding the truth.
    I can empathize...

    Its one of my pet peeves...the f'n internet. Along with good / solid / honest / factual information, it is just as easy to spread misinformation / lies and jump on the bandwagon (especially if they are involved with peddling the wares), which then makes it very easy for folks who are more emotionally than logically / fact-base motivated to "enhance" their rides by literally buying into it.

    People wanna believe; just one of the more prevalent poster children is a throttle body spacer. If we just focus on that one example, especially the added HP / TQ claims, once you start to look at everything with a critical eye and do as you did - ask questions - eventually the truth comes to surface...at least that is what I want to believe. However, there are countless folks who have (again - emotionally) bought into claims for everything from multi-strapped sparkplugs, under-body "braces" (I swear people sit around with beers, pens and napkins pulling this sh!t outta mid-air) machined throttle bodies that retain the OEM butterfly, turbonators, catch cans, strut tower braces...the list goes on. One thing they all have in common is the bogus performance claims and folks who can't help themselves but to defend their purchase - all without a shred of proof of any measurable performance gain that can be corroborated.

    Given 15 or more HP / TQ on any Hemi can come and go depending on operating temperature, you'll note that the claims being peddled for bogus performance adders stay at or under that value. This should be your first clue.

    I continually suggest folks find someone local whom they can trust. Its usually an old guy, who has been breathing on performance cars most of their life and this is important...have absolutely zero vested interest in selling you something. In other words, they're not afraid to tell the truth...

    Why do I not like the internet? Cause it allows the lies to spread like a wind-blown fire - all across the land. The exact why for me is that in a few cases, for example throttle bodies, "hyper-grounding" and aftermarket coilpacks...in order to explain why - I must first enlighten folks with a sh!tload of technical information that needs to be tailored to a varied audience in order for readers (or those I'm explaining to in person) to understand(!) why and how the purported gains are misleading or downright falsehoods. And believe me - that is a really tough row to hoe. In the post above, I breezed over many salient details regarding step-up coil design and performance, otherwise I'd be writing all day.

    A few on here despise me for just this...actually going through the trouble of explaining in enough / adequate technical detail, so that good / honest folks can make educated buying decisions that actually work in their favor...not the f'n peddlers :^/

    Edit: there was a time, long ago, where you went down to the local Speed Shop and received valuable advice, from those same saged guys. Their reputation as well as the storefront reputation was on the line, they had no choice(!) but to ensure what you walked out the door with parts and knowledge that fit properly and added the expected amount of performance. There was real pride on their part, maybe even some arrogance (try and imagine having to constantly "enlighten" neophytes who do not possess the technical background or wrenching smarts) but at least you walked away with value by learning something and with parts that actually did something. They had no qualms telling the truth by pooh-poohing bogus parts and / or processes (like cryogenic rotors). None of this internet bullsh!t where when you challenge a vendor "why a machined throttle body does diddly-squat" and the answer you get is "well - that was what the manufacturer claims"...knowing full f'n well they do nothing but add to the bottom line.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 06-20-2019 at 05:28 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

    Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

    Likes 2010 300c liked this post

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentastar06 View Post
    Are multiple spark systems still a thing? Back in the day it made a big difference on carbed engines.
    For a good laugh, Google the online advertising, especially the claims :^D
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

    Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels


  12. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Stamford, CT
    Posts
    4,086
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pentastar06 View Post
    Are multiple spark systems still a thing? Back in the day it made a big difference on carbed engines.
    Let's put things into perspective... Multiple-spark systems like those offered by MSD and others are relevant to early model and/or complete (ground up) custom build applications that require an ECU/PCM system as an off-the-shelf or turnkey system. Early model EFI systems are those introduced in the early 1990s to comply with federal emissions standards in which emissions control was more important than performance. I've been using an MSD Dis-6 plus system on my '92 project truck since 2000, which is cam'd and uses an electric supercharger that provides 2.5 psi boost. The OEM technology during this early period wasn't drive-by-wire, unlike today's EFI systems which control all aspects of air, fuel, and spark.

    Today's OEM EFI systems are very sophisticated as Simon indicates. The integration of so many sensory data points to balance performance with emissions is necessary to make minute adjustments very quickly. To introduce a separate (non-integrated) spark management system into the mix only complicates the matter.

    If better performance is sought, get a custom tune, and do proper maintenance on engine sensors.
    Last edited by richierevs; 06-20-2019 at 11:18 AM.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    Posts
    14,055
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by richierevs View Post
    Let's put things into perspective... Multiple-spark systems like those offered by MSD and others are relevant to early model and/or complete (ground up) custom build applications that require an ECU/PCM system as an off-the-shelf or turnkey system. Early model EFI systems are those introduced in the early 1990s to comply with federal emissions standards in which emissions control was more important than performance. I've been using an MSD Dis-6 plus system on my '92 project truck since 2000, which is cam'd and uses an electric supercharger that provides 2.5 psi boost. The OEM technology during this early period wasn't drive-by-wire, unlike today's EFI systems which control all aspects of air, fuel, and spark.

    Today's OEM EFI systems are very sophisticated as Simon indicates. The integration of so many sensory data points to balance performance with emissions is necessary to make minute adjustments very quickly. To introduce a separate (non-integrated) spark management system into the mix only complicates the matter.

    If better performance is sought, get a custom tune, and do proper maintenance on engine sensors.
    My error - I thought Pentastar06 was asking about sparkplugs with multiple GND straps :^)
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

    Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels


Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Tags for this Thread

Share This Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •