Thread: Rear end noise

Post Thanks / Like

Rear end noise

Hello all,

I've got a noise coming from the passenger side rear of my 2010 Charger AWD R/T. It's got 110K miles on it. I've had the rear brakes replaced (calipers, rotors and pads). The wheel bearings have been inspected and they are fine. My mechanic replaced the fluid in the rear diff with synthetic, which did quiet the noise down a little but it is still there. He mentioned it may be the pinion bearing. Has anyone here ever done that job? I did a search but didn't find anything on it. Is it something I could do myself to save some money? My mechanic want's $400 to do it. I would really appreciate any information you have. It's not really loud, but I don't like hearing unusual noises.

Thanks,
    KrustyTC63

Post Thanks / Like
    i had a groaning noise, especially when just starting out and turning, had the diff(LSD) lube changed to spec . the noise was better then finally went away.

PB ET 14.02 at CamaroFest 5 totally stock
    PB RT Sportsman tree .003 at Challengerfest 3, PB RT pro tree .019 at MSHS VMP 5/16
    PB 0-60 3.24 MIR Raceway Drag Radials 6/18

PB 0-60 4.40 Street Tires on the street Calabash 10/14

PB 60' 1.472 @ CF9 4/18
    PB ET 1/8 6.911 @ CF9 4/18
    PB MPH 1/8 101.32 @ The Rock 4/19
    PB ET 10.857 @ CF9 4/18

PB MPH 127.29 @ Atco 11/18

Post Thanks / Like
    This is almost like a whistling noise. It will stop when I take my foot off the gas, then come back when I accelerate.

KrustyTC63

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like the familiar rear end whine and it's probably from the gears themselves. An oil change usually quiets it slightly but never fixes it. Don't know if he can fix it for what you can swap in a new rear for.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s your ring an pinion gears going out. That symptom is almost exclusive to the ring and pinion gears in your rear end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    When they went out on my girlfriends truck i just got a whole axle assembly from the junkyard and it was about $400 cheaper than getting the rear end rebuilt

Post Thanks / Like
    What does it cost to have the rear end rebuilt? I'm just looking for a ball park.

Thank you all for the information,
    KrustyTC63

Post Thanks / Like
    Just trying to bump this up, does anyone have a ballpark cost to having the rear end rebuilt? My mechanic believes it is the pinion bearing. It sounds to me like it is exclusively coming from the rear passenger side of the car.

Thanks again,
    KrustyTC63

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably about $600 to $800 depending on labor costs. I would get a complete axle from the junkyard for in between 500-600 and swap it in

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrustyTC63 View Post
    Hello all,

I've got a noise coming from the passenger side rear of my 2010 Charger AWD R/T. It's got 110K miles on it. I've had the rear brakes replaced (calipers, rotors and pads). The wheel bearings have been inspected and they are fine. My mechanic replaced the fluid in the rear diff with synthetic, which did quiet the noise down a little but it is still there. He mentioned it may be the pinion bearing. Has anyone here ever done that job? I did a search but didn't find anything on it. Is it something I could do myself to save some money? My mechanic want's $400 to do it. I would really appreciate any information you have. It's not really loud, but I don't like hearing unusual noises.

Thanks,
    KrustyTC63
    Unless there's an anomaly that's been present since new that is now presenting itself, it is extremely unlikely it is the bearings or gear interface.

Did / does it leak fluid - at all?
    Is it the OEM unit?
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Unless there's an anomaly that's been present since new that is now presenting itself, it is extremely unlikely it is the bearings or gear interface.

Did / does it leak fluid - at all?
    Is it the OEM unit?
    It does not leak fluid and it is the OEM unit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KrustyTC63 View Post
    It does not leak fluid and it is the OEM unit.

Have you altered any of the rear suspension?
    Did the noise just appear or come on gradually?
    Has there been any noise - all along?
    Have someone drive while you sit on the passenger seat, then the rear, both sides listening carefully to isolate...

Last edited by Hemissary; 03-21-2020 at 07:18 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post

Have you altered any of the rear suspension? No
    Did the noise just appear or come on gradually? Just appeared
    Has there been any noise - all along? No
    Have someone drive while you sit on the passenger seat, then rear listening carefully to isolate... I will do that at some point this weekend

Thank you very much for your time and input.