Post Thanks / Like

Need Suggestions For Improving Ride Quality (For Comfort, Not Performance)

Hello everyone,

I have a 2014 R/T Anniversary Edition that I picked up about 4 months ago. According to my build sheet, the car has the "sport" suspension, but I can't find anywhere what that actually means. I love many things about the car, but the ride quality really isn't one of them. It's not horrific...but it most certainly needs improvement. The main complaint I have is that it is very jarring over rough pavement. Sharp bumps or potholes are very abrasive and even make the dash and other components rattle/creak. I also find the ride to be very "busy" if the road isn't perfectly smooth. I live in Indianapolis, where the roads are 3rd world quality these days, so almost all of my driving is on this sort of pavement, there is no avoiding it. It's really irritating...but the government continues to be useless as usual so I have to live with it.

My previous sedan was a 2005 Mercury Grand Marquis. It had the opposite issue when I first bought it, as it was too floaty. Adding a rear sway bar from a P71 and swapping the 16s for 18s with Continential DWS06 tires (can't remember exact size but probably 255/55s) made the ride just right. Planted and confident but comfortable. That's really my target with the Charger. The GM had the advantage of being body on frame, but the Charger has the advantage of being fully independent suspension, so it should be doable...I think

First things first, I checked out the entire suspension with a pry bar and it all checks out fine. All the bushings are in good shape and there's no excessive play anywhere. The shocks also still appear to be functioning normally. So now that we have that out of the way, let's move on.

Potential issues as I see them:
    1. 20" wheels/tires. The anniversary cars come with 245/45r20 tires, which have 4.3" of sidewall. I am considering finding a set of 18" wheels and running 255/55/r18 tires which have 5" of sidewall, and are nearly identical is overall diameter.

2. Springs/Shocks. Clearly the suspension in this car is just too firm for my liking. I'm not sure what roads modern auto makers think their customers are driving on, but every newer car I have driven seems to have compromised comfort completely in the name of handling, as if everyone is regularly tracking their 5000lb crossovers . Ideally I'd like to swap out that's there with other OEM components, perhaps from a different trim level or a 300c if they had a softer suspension. I haven't found any information on the spring rates for the "sport" suspension, but I'm hoping someone here can provide this information. Also, would anyone be able to make a shock recommendation for this application?

Is there anything I missed here? Any other strategies that might be effective? I'd really prefer to stay away from aftermarket air suspension or coilovers in favor of OEM components if possible.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Msmith68w; 07-28-2020 at 07:16 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 2013 R/T with the sport suspension sales code. I know it has the larger sway bar as I have replaced the bushings.
    The car rode great as is with the 18" wheels and Michelin Premier AS tires. @70k miles I swapped to Bilestien replacements, more planted and sure footed, less nose dive, no loss of comfort.

I later upgraded the brakes to the pursuit BR9 front and rear and needed 20's to clear the front calipers. I got OE Chrome Clads and General G-MAX AS-05 tires. I expected a loss of comfort but did not. No regrets going to 20's. The Generals not being a top tier priced tire I am impressed and will replace them with same.

You didn't mention the tires you are running and miles on the shocks and struts? I have a friend with a 2013 300 that was complaining and replaced his binders with Koni's and is happy.

But yes, for maximum comfort I would say 18" with a Touring tire, not an ultra performance all season.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gapi View Post
    I have a 2013 R/T with the sport suspension sales code. I know it has the larger sway bar as I have replaced the bushings.
    The car rode great as is with the 18" wheels and Michelin Premier AS tires. @70k miles I swapped to Bilestien replacements, more planted and sure footed, less nose dive, no loss of comfort.

I later upgraded the brakes to the pursuit BR9 front and rear and needed 20's to clear the front calipers. I got OE Chrome Clads and General G-MAX AS-05 tires. I expected a loss of comfort but did not. No regrets going to 20's. The Generals not being a top tier priced tire I am impressed and will replace them with same.

You didn't mention the tires you are running and miles on the shocks and struts? I have a friend with a 2013 300 that was complaining and replaced his binders with Koni's and is happy.

But yes, for maximum comfort I would say 18" with a Touring tire, not an ultra performance all season.

Hey, I recognize your username. I followed your BR9 swap on Krautmaster's thread.

Car currently has 93k on it. Tires are Cooper Zeon RS3s that will need replaced soon. They're a 500 treadwear, vs the 560 treadwear of the Continentials that I liked so much on the GM, so you'd expect them to actually be a tad softer. Shocks appear to be original, but it's been my experience over years and lots of vehicles that replacing shocks that aren't blown out just doesn't make any noticeable difference. I know the internet unanimously says different, but it's been my experience that if the stock shock is still functional (meaning if you bounce a corner of the car then stop it doesn't keep bouncing) there just isn't going to be much difference putting new shocks on it...at least with stock suspension cars.

Hearing your response and looking into this a little more, I'm not actually certain that stepping down to 18s is going to be the solution after all. I found the specs on the tires I was running on my Grand Marquis (255/45r18) and those had almost the exact same amount of sidewall that these 245/45r20s have (4.5" vs 4.3"). So the GM wouldn't have had significantly more squish in the tires to soak up road imperfections. The difference must be suspension and body construction. Also, before anyone mentions wheel weight, having had these off, I'm pretty sure my OEM 20s are lighter than the aftermarket 18s I had on that GM...they certainly feel lighter.

My concern really is that I'm never going to be able to get this accomplished because of the uni-body construction. I think the body on frame design is able to better isolate the driver from road intrusion, so I may just never be able to get exactly the ride I want with this car. I might be able to soften it up a bit though. Who knows.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found a 300C with touring suspension for sale at a dealer local to me. Ran over and test drove it. Very similar ride quality to my Charger, so I don't think I'm going to be able to get what I want in terms of ride with this car without completely re-engineering the suspension or dumping thousands into air ride. Might end up just selling...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Msmith68w View Post
    Found a 300C with touring suspension for sale at a dealer local to me. Ran over and test drove it. Very similar ride quality to my Charger, so I don't think I'm going to be able to get what I want in terms of ride with this car without completely re-engineering the suspension or dumping thousands into air ride. Might end up just selling...
    Sounds to me like you would more ideally benefit from upgrading to coilovers, these cars are really heavy cars and being that, they naturally drive very smooth, but like you said the roads in your area are beyond the normal rough road. You could get a custom setup made from BC racing (they set them up at no additional charge) with a really soft spring rate along with soft compression valving that would glide over bumps.

The cheapest method (free) to have it glide like your sailing a glass lake, would be removing the front swaybar. I would NOT recommend this as it will cause a less cornering and reaction stability, BUT it will effectively make the ride MUCH softer as the bumps are not transmitted from one corner of the car to the opposing corner through the sway bar. Its a pretty easy job that could be done in less then 20 min.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like it's time to get air ride on it!