Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    The synthetic gear oil stinks but the standard gear oil does not in my experience.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine was groaning at about 16K miles so did a service. Didn't notice any unusual stink, not that 90 weight gear oil is ever gonna smell good, and the used gear oil looked pretty good.

Went with Mobil 1 75W-85 and about 2/3 bottle of Trans X and it quieted up after about 100 miles.

Tried doing some figure 8's to speed it along but just wouldn't get quiet on a tight turn until it was ready.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
    2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Slidd View Post
    Mine was groaning at about 16K miles so did a service. Didn't notice any unusual stink, not that 90 weight gear oil is ever gonna smell good, and the used gear oil looked pretty good.

Went with Mobil 1 75W-85 and about 2/3 bottle of Trans X and it quieted up after about 100 miles.

Tried doing some figure 8's to speed it along but just wouldn't get quiet on a tight turn until it was ready.

In the 80's when V-belts were used on autos, I changed the 4 belts on my 82 Firebird TransAm. The power steering pump had to be loosened to replace one of them. I couldn't see that 4th bolt that held it and in my frustration, I pried on the pump housing. Afterwards, the pump seal leaked. I remembered I had a qt of TransX in the garage and put a few ounces in the pump. The leak stopped very quickly. BUT a year later that TransX had eaten the seals in the pump, both hoses and the seals in the steering box. I had to replace the entire system. I don't know if TransX is the same stuff nowadays and I don't know if the diff seals can withstand it but I thought I would pass along my experience with TransX for whatever it is worth.

Post Thanks / Like
    Haha I had an 84, should have kept my 75..

Anyway they have made a specific posi additive for a few years and it's good stuff.

Some put in the whole bottle but I like to use the least amount possible and 2/3 or even 1/2 of the tube will work.

2016 Challenger SRT 392, A8, Technology Group

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12