Post Thanks / Like

Engine Rattling / Ticking Under Heavy Acceleration

Under heavy acceleration at high speed I always hear a clattering/rattle sound coming from engine, in front of glove box area. Sounds like valve-train type noise, or like engine knock, but highly doubt the latter since I always fill with Shell V-Power or BP Ultimate. Only happens while accelerating. Anyone else experience this?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like detonation from low grade fuel, but the computer should adapt for this and not let the detonation happen. If it continues, it can damage you engine (if that's what is making the sound).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RDT View Post
    Sounds like detonation from low grade fuel, but the computer should adapt for this and not let the detonation happen. If it continues, it can damage you engine (if that's what is making the sound).

Never considered Shell V-Power & BP Ultimate "low grade fuel." What would you recommend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have an engine tech check the knock sensor. What year and size engine are you talking about?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005rtmag View Post
    Have an engine tech check the knock sensor. What year and size engine are you talking about?
    2019 6.2, but also hear it on my 2011 6.4

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JETBLU392 View Post
    Never considered Shell V-Power & BP Ultimate "low grade fuel." What would you recommend?
    Sorry - by "low grade fuel", I actually meant lower octane fuel; however, as stated the computer should compensate for this. I have the 5.7 engine and almost always use regular fuel rather than the higher grades - I know it hurts performance a little by retarding the ignition to compensate, but I have all the power I need. The point is, the computer adjusts the timing to compensate, and I don't get detonation.

Of course, at this point, I'm just speculating that what you are hearing is detonation - I'd have it checked out by someone who knows what they are talking about (unlike me!)

Post Thanks / Like
    so what happened what was the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Was told it's normal. I have a tendency to believe it since same issue on my 392 Challenger.