Post Thanks / Like

Magnaflow Hi Flow Midpipes Hitting Transmission Brace - Options

Hi all,

I installed a set of Magnaflow 3" mid pipes on my 06 300c SRT8 a few weeks ago. While driving, especially in the rain, it sounds like the pipe may be rubbing the transmission cross member/brace and is causing a rumbling that sounds a bit like thunder. I checked under the car and it seems that the passenger side pipe is within less than a half inch of the transmission cross member brace, whereas the drivers side has plenty of clearance. The part of the brace that is coming close to the pipe looks to be an ear with an empty bolt hole. Would it be safe to grind this off?

If not, would installing the Razors Edge transmission cross member give me extra clearance in that location? The Razors Edge part is here: http://www.razorsedgemotorsports.com...p/306-atcm.htm

I have already added 5 washers to the tunnel brace to prevent any contact there. The catback is stock except for Blastin Bobs resonators in the back. It doesn't seem like the pipe is misaligned on the header and I can't feel any leaks.

The point where the pipe is hitting the brace is shown below. I have buffered the area with a piece of rubber hose, two hose clamps and some exhaust wrap for a temporary fix. Any advice would be appreciated!

Rubbing.jpg
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | HHP Stage 2R Cam | 3.91 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Sport 4 315/35/20 & 275/40/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    Weird,,, mine do not hit there my exhaust was hitting tunnel brace and I took off stock and replaced with 3G brace
    06 BB CSRT, HHP STAGE II - HHP/BES PORTED POLISHED HEADS & INTAKE, VALV SPRING & TITANIUM RETAINER UPGRADES, Little boy cam, forged Arrington bottom, PRO TORQUE 2,800, Trinity, PROGRESS F & R SWAYS, MM PORTED THROTTLE BODY, SINISTER CAI, BT CC , 180 STAT, ZOOMERS CAT BACK/MAGNAFLOW MIDS/CATS, PARAMOUNT STAGE II VALVE BODY, GETRAG SWAP TRANZFORMER,POWERSLOTS/HAWK HPS, RE F&R STRUT BRACES, TEINS W/EDFC, F-SLP UCA, R-JAYS ARMS, SL BUMP STEER, VIPER REPS W/ 255/45/20x9 & 295/40/20x10, AJ Dyno tune

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, replacing or elongating tunnel brace seems to be a must, whereas I could not find anyone else with my issue. The noise is gone, but I hate knowing that the pipe is so close to the transmission brace. Ill reach out to razors edge and maybe they can give me some more insight.
    2006 300c SRT8
    PWR Ported Heads | HHP Stage 2R Cam | 3.91 Getrag | GTP Ported Intake Manifold | Kooks Longtubes | Corsa Sport / SRT Resonators | AMG 8 Piston Brake Calipers | Hemituner 6,800 TCM | BT Catch Can | LMI True CAI V2 | Tranzformer | MM 87mm TB | Johan Tuned | REM Adjustable Endlinks & Front/Rear Shock Braces | 33/22mm Front/Rear Sway Bars | Michelin Pilot Sport 4 315/35/20 & 275/40/20 | 10" Widened Oem Wheels | LC-2 Wideband Analog Output to Trinity | Mishimoto Full Aluminum Radiator

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a lot of movement available in the exhaust. I'd loosen it all up, and try again for proper clearance.
    Adaptive Craving Control-by Hal9000 modification strictly prohibited
    FI IV.5, Solo cat backs, 180 thermo, Catch Can, DS tuner, 383 Stroker/SRT heads,headers and mids,, Tranny cooler with fan control, built tranny/flex plate/4K conv,09 Chally rear with Quaife posi. Pedders Track II, coil overs, Hodgkiss sways, BWoody links, 20" Jacks N Five with Nitto Invo's, Custom brakes by TCE. Bling by BT.
    Just a grocery getter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Hal,

My 06 RT AWD Magnum just had cats replaced yesterday and the pipes are hitting the tunnel brace. I'm waiting for rush hour traffic to pass so I can do a proper "drive cycle" and get through inspection. While I'm waiting, and everything is cold, do you think getting the proper clearance would be as simple as loosening the band clamp, pushing up on the pipe, and re-tightening? or what else could you suggest that I could do, on the ground, while waiting?

thanks

Best,
    Ant
    Anthony J Francese
    Owner/Executive Producer
    Artistic Expressions, LLC

Post Thanks / Like
    That could work. Could be that the exhaust rubber hangers are stretched out enough to cause movement. You can remove the the BLACK brace by the x pipe without issues if that's where it rubbing.

06 SRTC
    - SPC - Hellwig/Police Sways - BC Coils/Swift Springs - Drake FSB - LMI CF CAI - Corsa Extreme - 08+ Black Leather Int. Conv. - 2010 SRT Charger Interior - Hurst - Diablotoona Tuned - MTCM - SRT Night 20X9/10 Wheels - JBA high flow cats - 3.91 Getrag - HC 6 Pot - LED OEM Tail Conv. - Sponh Arms - BT Bling - Chrome Delete -

Mississauga Ontario '11 Charger R/T with R&T, '13 Cadillac sports wagon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ENUF PWR View Post
    That could work. Could be that the exhaust rubber hangers are stretched out enough to cause movement. You can remove the the BLACK brace by the x pipe without issues if that's where it rubbing.
    Talk about bringing up an "ancient" thread!!! Way back in 2006, when having a Borla exhaust installed, it was necessary to bring the car back to the dealer due to the rubbing noise. Couple of washers fixed the problem pretty quick! Last week, when having a new SOLO exhaust installed, they automatically installed 4 washers, based on all their previous experience with noise and rubbing.

2011 Toxic Orange Charger R/T R&T (license plate "BUK8LIST") Factory Repro rims/Nitto Invos, Aria CAI. Solo Exhaust, Daytona chin spoiler. Window tint.

Daily Driver...2013 Cadillac CTS Performance Sports Wagon Edition. 20" Vossen CV3R Gloss Graphite Staggered rims with Falken FK453 tires, tinted windows.

Gone, but not forgotten..........

2005 Magnum SXT (CANDYAPPLE)
    2006 MSRT (FSTBLK)
    2008 Magnum SXT
    2002 Intrepid
    2000 Intrepid
    1998 Intrepid.........and 31 others over the past 55+ years.
    Likes ENUF PWR liked this post

Share This Thread