Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

DIY -6.1 manifold porting and polish

The difference in vacuum will be negligible. I don’t see enlarging those being any issue as long as you don’t go crazy.
    For reference, my dual plane intake has a completely different brake booster and evap setup from a stock 5.7 composite intake and I’ve had no issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks ronan978 thanked for this post
    Likes ronan978, punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    New post for ya. Page 3, may just want to weld them or leave em.
    Inside the 6.1 intake manifold...holes...weld them up?

Likes ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronan978 View Post
    Yes. The throttle body fees the rest of the manifold. That small plenum in the middle fed by those holes directly feeds into the head ports. Also why I didn’t want to go “too” big. I went from 3/4” to just a hair under an inch.

Another note , when it does come to a blower , obviously a centri at this point , opening those holes further would make more sense?

When you go boost, those holes won't make a bit of difference bigger or smaller because the air will be forced back out through them rather than being pulled in.

I see a small electric vacuum pump in your future to make sure you have plenty for the brakes.

The MAP sensor won't matter because you'll be running at least a 3 bar one, and everything will be boost reference instead of vacuum.

I've always wondered how boosted engines claim they have plenty of vacuum from idle/low RPMs to "charge up" the brake booster. I personally would rather have vac on it the whole time. I'm not always at idle/low RPMs very long at all between brake application lol.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys; the three holes down the center of the interior allow sand removal after casting. The chamber acts as a shock absorber to attenuate impulses created as valves close and generates shock waves back into the plenum. You can equate the chamber to chambers within mufflers and resonators that attenuate sound pressure waves.

Ronan, have fun doing this...but don't hold your breath for significant gains :^)

I thought it was in your thread here that someone posted videos of a guy who is "porting" these intake manifolds and made claims of up to 28 RWHP. That - is one huge stnk'in pile of bullsh!t; during the shell game stating both the before and after pulls were performed at "heat soak"...no one seemed to notice that he altered A / F. Do folks realize that claim(!) of 28HP is almost 33HP at the engine...on a stock SRT8??

If I recall, he goes on to purport a gain of 47HP on another install...that horse hooie equates to 55HP SAE. Seriously...there is a sh!tload of money being stolen from those who are literally buying into this. Just is no different than the false claims being made about machined throttle bodies - just costs a lot more :^D

Since you've done a pull prior, I trust you recorded the conditions at the time (ambient pressure / temp)? I'm motivated to see what others achieve, so in order(!) for any previous pulls to be relevant, the temp / pressure on the days in question are critical along with coolant temp...

Good luck...
    Last edited by Hemissary; 02-11-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes Jay Z, ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I really wouldn’t go crazy on these especially if boosting, just clean the casting leftovers.

Likes ronan978, Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    When you go boost, those holes won't make a bit of difference bigger or smaller because the air will be forced back out through them rather than being pulled in.

I see a small electric vacuum pump in your future to make sure you have plenty for the brakes.

The MAP sensor won't matter because you'll be running at least a 3 bar one, and everything will be boost reference instead of vacuum.

I've always wondered how boosted engines claim they have plenty of vacuum from idle/low RPMs to "charge up" the brake booster. I personally would rather have vac on it the whole time. I'm not always at idle/low RPMs very long at all between brake application lol.

Are you using an electric vacuum pump? I was concerned about this before but was assured boosting through the vacuum lines was completely fine. I’d sleep better with vacuum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradJo9 View Post
    I really wouldn’t go crazy on these especially if boosting, just clean the casting leftovers.

Agreed. To answer your question Ronan about polishing the lower cover, I suspect you (already) know the answer :^)

Even on a supersonic aircraft wing, the air right at the surface is at zero velocity.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by BradJo9 View Post
    Are you using an electric vacuum pump? I was concerned about this before but was assured boosting through the vacuum lines was completely fine. I’d sleep better with vacuum.

I'm not anywhere near ready to boost yet. I have a son about to start Berklee College of Music. I gotta see how bad that hurts before I can do anything else.

Likes PastorTree, Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Guys; the three holes down the center of the interior allow sand removal after casting. The chamber act as a shock absorber to attenuate impulses created as valves close and generates shock waves back into the plenum. You can equate the chamber to chambers within mufflers and resonators that attenuate sound pressure waves.

Ronan, have fun doing this...but don't hold your breath for significant gains :^)

I thought it was in your thread here that someone posted videos of a guy who is "porting" these intake manifolds and made claims of up to 28 RWHP. That - is one huge stnk'in pile of bullsh!t; during the shell game stating both the before and after pulls were performed at "heat soak"...no one seemed to notice that he altered A / F. Do folks realize that claim(!) of 28HP is almost 33HP at the engine...on a stock SRT8??

If I recall, he goes on to purport a gain of 47HP on another install...that horse hooie equates to 55HP SAE. Seriously...there is a sh!tload of money being stolen from those who are literally buying into this. Just is no different than the false claims being made about machined throttle bodies - just costs a lot more :^D

Since you've done a pull prior, I trust you recorded the conditions at the time (ambient pressure / temp)? I'm motivated to see what others achieve, so in order(!) for any previous pulls to be relevant, the temp / pressure on the days in question are critical along with coolant temp...

Good luck...
    Ok so I got a better look , my fat fingers wouldn’t fit inside those holes , and you and newold are correct. It did appear that said plenum was feeding the heads , however , I got in with a scope and it is a dead end. So the air simply wraps air the spiral and flows into the heads. So what I did so far will only change sound.
    That said , if that’s the case , there really is no “porting “ to be done other than the flash casting and then some port matching to the heads/gasket if necessary. So I’ll just smooth everything out and open up what I can.
    As far as gains , I posted those videos(in another thread), but have no illusions of the gains he claimed. My biggest reasoning for this is at the request of my tuner. Aj says he thinks he can get a LOT more out of it with this manifold. He did mention the way of 30/40ish hp over the current manifold. I can call Jim and try to coordinate a way to do a pull as is , then swap the manifold over and do another pull/tune on the same day.

Thanks Tikibeast thanked for this post
    Likes Tikibeast, Jay Z liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

DIY -6.1 manifold porting and polish

Quote Originally Posted by Newoldchallenger View Post
    New post for ya. Page 3, may just want to weld them or leave em.
    Inside the 6.1 intake manifold...holes...weld them up?

I thought they were crazy until I got home and scoped it!!!! Nope , I need to smoke another

Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to apologize for steering anyone’s thinking in the wrong direction:( my bad :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Agreed. To answer your question Ronan about polishing the lower cover, I suspect you (already) know the answer :^)

Even on a supersonic aircraft wing, the air right at the surface is at zero velocity.
    I did smooth the bottom , but it was more of test run for the bits I was using, plus it was nice and easy for my son to access.
    So in your opinion, the whole “polish” portion of this would pretty much be null and kept to only the casting flash. Being the actual air with any velocity will not be on the surface inner and outer but flowing inside of those perimeters. If that makes any sense.

Likes Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronan978 View Post
    I have to apologize for steering anyone’s thinking in the wrong direction:( my bad :(

No need; easy to do based on their position :^)

I saw what looks like either a casting fracture - or simply some black sealer spider web in this pic from post #1, you should check:

Last edited by Hemissary; 02-11-2019 at 10:19 PM.

Likes Jay Z liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I can’t get the link to work from my phone. Anyone else have a problem?

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting read. I have not looked at a 6.1 intake up close so I was excited to hear about those ports feeding the runner. Much like Lehmann style intake. Shame that’s not the case. Would be cool.
    Surface finish plays part in the boundary layer (dead air space). You can use it to help the effective csa and to get the air to bend in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    Likes ronan978 liked this post

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast