Post Thanks / Like

5.7 to 6.1 (6.4) exhaust header problem

I acquired a set of 6.1 headers and mid-pipes (or they may be 6.4L - I am trying to get clarification now) to install on my 2013 Charger with 5.7.

The driver's side motor mount started leaking so this prompted me to go ahead and do the header install since I was going to have to take a good part of the exhaust off anyways to get to the motor mounts.

I have searched for similar issues but have not found anything. While the install is time consuming, they are supposed to be a direct bolt in. I'm having issues with installing the motor mounts after the manifolds are in place. There is not enough clearance on the passenger side to install the bolts that secure the motor mount to the motor mount bracket. Massaging the cover wont gain enough clearance. I believe that I need to order new motor mounts and motor mount brackets for a 6.4 as they utilize a different bolt spacing between the MM & bracket. Did anyone else have any issues doing the conversion on a 2011 to 2014 Charger?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just clarified that this are from an 06 or 07 6.1. The manifold part numbers are the same in 06 on the 6.1L as they are on the 13 6.4L (5037632AF). Still not sure why I dont have enough clearance for the MM to Motor Bracket bolts...
    Last edited by Granite13RT; 04-14-2019 at 04:55 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This seems weird I out 6.1 manifold on my 5.7 Challenger with no modifications. I had to adjust the oil pickup tube but that was all. I did this when I did a cam install though so I had my heads off and just slid them back into place when I was done with the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    13 Durango R/T
    13 M6 Challenger R/T
    02 M5 Dakota QC Sport
    91 TKO 600 Dakota CC
    63 Dart 3 on da Tree

Post Thanks / Like
    Has it been stated that you can change the motor mounts with the manifolds on?
    Why did you put the exhaust together before the motor mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 91DakBuilder View Post
    This seems weird I out 6.1 manifold on my 5.7 Challenger with no modifications. I had to adjust the oil pickup tube but that was all. I did this when I did a cam install though so I had my heads off and just slid them back into place when I was done with the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yeah this one is odd. The driver's side installed with almost no issue other than the very end of one of the bolts hit the 6.1 header. I bought DEA motor mounts and not MOPAR, I'm wondering if this has something to do with it. I plan on double checking the old and new motor mounts when I get home tonight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    Has it been stated that you can change the motor mounts with the manifolds on?
    Why did you put the exhaust together before the motor mounts?

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    No, I guess it hasn't been stated that you can change the motor mounts with manifold bolted up. Due to the tight clearances, and hard to reach bolts it made sense to put the manifold in first as well as during disassembly, the motor mount and bracket came out first then the manifold.

You might be correct in assuming that the mount mount has to go in first so I'll take a look at that this weekend. Thanks for the tip.
    Last edited by Granite13RT; 04-17-2019 at 08:09 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a picture of the interference fit.

20190414_172957-1.jpg