Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Cluster failure and code U110A

My gauge cluster on my '05 Mag RT has been cutting out intermittently for about 2 yrs. It sometimes goes months without acting up and then all of a sudden does it a bunch of times in a row. Well today it finally did it severely enough to throw on the ESP BAS light and trouble code U110A.

Thanks to a previous post from Funky, I see that U110A is a loss of communication issue, but it doesn't really give me clear cut info on the exact problem.

I know there are many others out there having this problem, many haven't gotten it bad enough to get this code thrown, but some others have.

Does anyone know the surefire fix? I can't afford to be a dealer service guinea pig.

One piece of information that may or may not be important, but if the headlights are in the auto position, this problem will turn the lights off and not let them back on again until i toggle the switch off and back to auto or on. I'm hoping the headlight switch isn't powered through the gauge cluster and that little piece of info will prove that the gauge cluster isn't the problem but that it's something else.

HELP?!
    Last edited by JuniorTT; 08-29-2008 at 01:30 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Loss of comm usually means a connector is to blame, first step would be to pull and inspect the connectors (in this case, the headlight switch and the cluster module) for damage, or a pin that has been shoved back, then reseat them. If that doesnt fix it, then the PITA job of looking over the whole harness for pinch points.

Post Thanks / Like
    Let me re-phrase I guess...

The service manual says I need a scan tool in order to diagnose any further. Has anyone had the dealer use a scan tool on a car with an intermittent gauge cluster and code U110A? If so, what did they determine and are you satisfied that it's truly fixed now?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey your problem is the same one I have been having for 2 years word for word. The dealer never fixed mine either they even replaced my light switch. Some one needs to fix this. I get the code also.

HEMI!, Diablo Predator CAI tune SOLD, "GIGANTICAI" CAI, Blastin Bobs 7db , 22" 4inch LIP Velocity VW700 Rims on 265/35s SOLD, Chrome Grill, mirrors, pillars, handles and bumper inserts. Clear LED tails, 15" RE SX Sub, 7" Touch screen Navi, Ipod Control, TV Tuner, LED floor lights and license plate light strip, Reverse Camera,. FTP
    The "Giganticai"http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=112170
    The Mag http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=75308

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the U110A code when my SCCM went south on me, so there -should- be other codes in there as well, I had a boatload of 'em that my sc tuner and my dashawk were unaware of.

Whatever the fix is, I bet it's expensive...

Mike
    "Now, I may not be an expert either, but I do lay the keyboard down on occasion, wipe the donut crumbs off my face, put my pants on and go outside into the light... and work on the car." - MattRobertson
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v619/MikeEast/
    (AirHammer, FRI Sidewinder, JBA shortys/highflows, Zoomers, Diablo, Labonte, Pedders, RazorsEdge, HSP Mounts, Silver Box,BT PinkThingy, AMG Paddle Shifters) 3.07 SRT rear, 13.302@106.15

Post Thanks / Like
    Update...my gauges are now cutting out for 30 seconds to a minute at a time. Anyone know what the problem is? Anyone??

A couple more pieces of info I noticed since my last post:
    (1) When the gauges cut out for long periods it *seems* that the interior temperature control goes haywire too...if I'm running heat it will suddenly start blowing cool air instead. Once the gauges come back online the heat comes back within a few seconds too. I could be wrong about it, but I think it's doing this.
    (2) It doesnt matter if headlights/foglights are on or off. For awhile it only seemed to do this when I had lights on, but it's doing it 24/7 now.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

U110A is lost communication with SCCM- CAN C. Check the SCCM connector first and make sure the connector terminals aren't pushing out or spreading open. To do this, you have to remove the steering wheel and then the SCM (The part of the column that contains the SCCM, multi-function switch, the cruise switch, the clockspring, and the SAS). Make sure the clip that locks the connector to the column bracket is present. There is a replacement connector available. Otherwise, the SCCM may be the culprit.
    2017 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack - Go Mango
    2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline - 5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red - Gone - 5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation

U110A-LOST COMMUNICATION WITH SCCM - CAN C

For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Section 8W

• When Monitored:

• With the ignition on
    • Battery voltage between 10 and 16 volts
    • IOD fuse installed
    • FCM is configured correctly
    • Set Condition: Bus messages not received from the SCM (CAN C) for approximately 200ms.
    Possible Causes:
    -CAN B BUS CIRCUITS OPEN OR SHORTED
    -DTCS RELATED TO BATTERY VOLTAGE, IGNITION, OR VIN MESSAGES
    -FCM NOT CONFIGURED CORRECTLY
    -STEERING CONTROL MODULE
    -STEERING CONTROL MODULE POWER AND GROUND
    -MODULE THAT SET THIS DTC

Diagnostic Test

1. VERIFY DTC IS ACTIVE

NOTE: Ensure the IOD fuse is installed and battery voltage is between 10 and 16 volts before proceeding.
    With the scan tool, read active DTCs.

Is this DTC active?

Yes
    • Go To 2
    No

2. CHECK FOR ANY OF THE FOLLOWING ACTIVE DTCS

With the scan tool, read active DTCs from all modules.

NOTE: Check for FCM configuration, CAN B or C hardware electrical, VIN Missing/Mismatch, battery or ignition related DTCs.

Does the scan tool display any active DTCs to the conditions listed above?

Yes
    No
    • Go To 3

3. VERIFY THAT THE SCM IS ACTIVE ON THE BUS

Turn the ignition on.
    With the scan tool, select ECU View.
    Verify that the SCM is active on the bus.

Is the SCM active on the bus?

Yes
    • Go To 4
    No

4. CHECK FOR ADDITIONAL COMMUNICATION RELATED DTCS

With the scan tool, select Network View and select Advanced.

Is there more than one module with active DTCs Logged Against the SCM?

Yes
    No
    2017 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack - Go Mango
    2011 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD- Redline - 5.7L Hemi Registry #1650 Tbird100636

2006 Dodge Charger R/T- Inferno Red - Gone - 5.7L Hemi Registry # 00696 Tbird100636

Post Thanks / Like

U110A Code

Resurrecting a rather old thread for more detailed help. I just obtained a 2006 Magnum RT for a good price, hopefully. The car, although in relatively good shape, appears to have been used as a work vehicle - by that I mean it needs a REALLY GOOD cleaning. THE BIGGEST ISSUEIS THAT it has the U110A code up coincident with inoperable Turn Signals, Tachometer, Radio, and Cruise as well as the ESB/BAS, and ABS Lights being illuminated. Having read all this forum it would appear this has something to do with the SCCM. The Wildcard is this car also has inoperable Power Mirrors which would seem to indicate a blown #30 Fuse, no such luck. The previous owner did had a mechanic look at it who did say the car needed a new SCCM, why he never progressed in that direction at the time I do not know - he simply sold the car to me. I did purchase a complete used Steering Column for the SCCM and Cruise Stalk which was broken so I will attempt swapping out the upper assembly (Module, Clock Spring, Stalks, etc) as time permits but thought to pose a question to the masses. No one mentioned thePower Mirrors being effected by the SCCM, but did indicate that the Power Supply to both came from Fuse 30. Shoud I be looking for a broken common Power Supply wire in the harness. If so can someone tell me which particular wires to look at and where they might be? I would appreciate any help I can get.

Post Thanks / Like
    That pile of crap appcar scanner would be a cheap way to diagnose a lot of your problems.

Sounds like the FCM might be a possible culprit also, but realize that is a guess as I don't have the car in my possession.

Post Thanks / Like
    Basically what I am saying is the 2 smoking guns (SCCM Code and Power Mirror loss of Pwr) both possibly point to the single Power Supply Line/wire. Does anyone know which wire that is (Color) coming out of the fuse box and where it splits going to those loads. If there was a break in that line I might get lucky. OR the Power Mirrors issue might just be a coincidence.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the first places to look for a broken wire is where the wires go from the body to the door. These wires get less flexible as they age, and will break with the door opening and closing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve65301 View Post
    One of the first places to look for a broken wire is where the wires go from the body to the door. These wires get less flexible as they age, and will break with the door opening and closing.
    I’ll check there but I’m hoping the break (if any) is further upstream before the Power Supply splits to go to the SCCM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ALPO View Post
    I’ll check there but I’m hoping the break (if any) is further upstream before the Power Supply splits to go to the SCCM.
    So you plan to dig through wires and look for the problem?

I know people hate new technology and all, but do you realize you can buy a relatively inexpensive scan tool that will tell you if a circuit is open, shorted, or grounded?
    It can pretty much point you to which wire has a problem. In addition to a module having a problem.

One big plus is you don't end up with a needlessly torn open wiring harness.

But if you insist on doing it the old way, you should at least download the factory service manual. This way you don't have to rely on internet people so much.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don’t plan on opening up all the wiring harness, just looking for an obvious spot in line (such as rodent chew marks etc). I’d love to have the scanning tool you speak of, and the knowledge to use it! Like I said the two obvious symptoms (110a code coincident with the ESB/BAS Light and Loss of Power Mirrors), both having power supplied from the same fuse (which checked OK) seemed like a probable first place to start looking. There has been success replacing the SCCM or Clockspring so I did purchase a Steering Column for Parting out (I also needed a replacement Cruise Stalk). I have had luck in these forums before with help, thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread