Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Transgo and Sonnax

I'm looking to replace my valve body due to p0741 code. I 'm looking at some of these kits to use since I'll have the vb out of the car. I've contacted the companies and still got mixed answer on whether or not I could use the transgo 722.6 kit along with the sonnax 68942-05k and 68942-23k kits. Are anyone familiar with these kits?
    2006 Charger R/T

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact Paramount or Builder Bill Transmissions they could probably direct you toward what your needs are.

2006 SRT 300C CAI - Corsa Sport - Hurst - Predator - BT Catch Can - Updated SRT bumper - LEDs
    2005 R/T Magnum K&N intake - Bilstein B6 with SRT springs - Mopar Corsa Sport - Predator -
    BT Badges - Speedlogix Catch Can - LEDs
    Quote Originally Posted by fatchance
    You take a four-door sedan and make it a rocket ship.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just for anyone who wants to know. The transgo kit does work with sonnax. The transgo also does increase the firmness of shifts
    2006 Charger R/T
    Thanks blue_devil thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Any updates, behavior of your transmission, after installing and putting some miles on the Transgo and Sonnax kits? I'm assuming you installed both.

I have a transmission project to tackle which includes a new 13 pin adapter plug, conductor plate, filter and oil. While apart, I would like to install the kits (peace of mind), because I am the 3rd owner, purchased the car with 94k on it and it now sits at 104k. I'm going to reinstall the original solenoids, on the fence with replacing their O-rings.

I'm learning more and more about how tuff, yet fragile these NAG1's can be...
    2006 (Manu.Date 5/05) Magnum RT (midnight blue) - STOCK... Rolled over 100K on the OD. Just general maintenance for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently put the TransGo kit in my '09 charger R/T. You have to reset the adaptives before you drive it after installing this kit. I have reset my adaptives before the kit and it makes the shifts more firm for a while but goes back to normal. With the transgo kit it stayed more firm than it used to.

The transgo kit has their tcc valve so I wouldn't use the Sonnax one. Also the Sonnax 68942-05k is just overlap valve sleeves with o-rings. The transgo kit comes with these but they don't use o-rings, they fit the bores very slightly tighter.

Post Thanks / Like
    69RT, so do you suggest the Transgo TCC valve part over the Sonnax TCC valve kit, because it does NOT use O-rings?
    I'm not 100% sold on either version. And I did not realize the Transgo kit came with the TCC valve, I thought it was just the Operating Pressure Regulating Valve and Lubricating Pressure Regulating Valve. On ebay, (Transgo Shift Kit Mercedes Chrysler Jeep Sprinter 722.6 NAG1 (SK722.6-A)*), the seller notes the following (Notice: There are (2) sizes of Pressure Regulator valves.) Kit includes the smaller version, larger version is in the V8. It appears there are two sleeves in the Transgo Kit "image". It's possible I am getting confused... lol.

I think there are pros and cons to both approaches, basically metal on metal or metal on rubber (with microns of ATF fluid between them), in my opinion Sonnax's version is more forgiving and creates a better seal on a potentially worn cylinder wall, but the o-ring has the potential to tear or wear out.
    Last edited by blue_devil; 11-09-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    2006 (Manu.Date 5/05) Magnum RT (midnight blue) - STOCK... Rolled over 100K on the OD. Just general maintenance for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by blue_devil View Post
    69RT, so you suggest the Transgo TCC valve kit over the Sonnax TCC valve kit, because it does NOT use O-rings?
    I'm not 100% sold on either version.

I think there are pros and cons to both approaches, basically metal on metal or metal on rubber (with microns of ATF fluid between them), in my opinion Sonnax's version is more forgiving and creates a better seal on a potentially worn cylinder wall, but the o-ring has the potential to tear or wear out.
    Not quite. You should look at each kit. You didn't do any research on this right? I say that because we're talking about three entirely different things here.
    The Sonnax 68942-23k is ONLY a TCC control valve and spring.
    The Sonnax 68942-05k is ONLY the 3 overlap sleeves.

The TransGo SK722.6-a is:
    a new design Pressure Regulator Valve
    a new design Lube Regulator Bushing, Sleeve and Spring
    a new 2-3 Shift Pressure Spring
    a new Control Pressure Regulator Spring
    3 New Overlap Valve Sleeves

Post Thanks / Like
    On the functionality side of this, the Sonnax tcc valve uses a sleeve with o-rings that gets installed in the valve body bore and doesn't move. This can go in a worn out bore and seal it very well.
    The valve that goes inside it is made of a higher quality material that won't wear the sleeve as fast. And if it does you can change it again. Same with the overlap sleeves.

TransGo uses valves that contact different areas of the bore than what the original valve contacted, usually with more surface area.

Post Thanks / Like
    So, the Sonnax and TG kits can be used together with no conflict?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Root66 View Post
    First of all what are you referring to as far as Sonnax kit?

Theres a few Sonnax part numbers listed above, I'm assuming thats whats being talked about.

Yes you could get the overlap sleeve kit from Sonnax and the TransGo shift kit. You're going to end up with two sets of overlap sleeves, one set with o-rings, one set without. You can only use one set - no conflict there.
    You could get the Sonnax tcc valve and sleeve and use it with the TransGo kit. It's a seperate part.

Basically TransGo has a shift kit that addresses the most common problems and installs without special tools.
    Sonnax doesn't have a kit that addresses multiple common problems, instead they have a valve and sleeve or oversized valve for just about every bore in the valve body, All sold separately. Just about all of them need special tools to ream the bores oversize.

Post Thanks / Like
    69RT, didn't do ANY research... Then how is it possible that I enter this discussion with legitimate questions? You must be looking at another kit offered by Transgo. The images I see on both Amazon and eBay show 7 parts only. No overlap sleeves depicted, but I'll take them if they are included, lol! I've never taken on a project like this, so I'm here to listen & learn from others like yourself. My references are YouTube, mechanics DVD, pages 21-606 and 21-607 among others and this forum. Do you still recommend the Sonnax parts with O-rings? I didn't realize the sleeves were stationary.
    Last edited by blue_devil; 11-10-2019 at 02:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    69RT, didn't do ANY research... Then how is it possible that I enter this discussion with legitimate questions? You must be looking at another kit offered by Transgo. The images I see on both Amazon and eBay show 7 parts only. No overlap sleeves depicted, but I'll take them if they are included, lol! I've never taken on a project like this, so I'm here to listen & learn from others like yourself. My references are YouTube, mechanics DVD, pages 21-606 and 21-607 among others and this forum. Do you still recommend the Sonnax parts with O-rings? I didn't realize the sleeves were stationary.
    Heres a good picture. TransGo 722.6: SK 722.6-A

If you have 104,000 on it and it's not doing anything weird I'd just leave it as is. If you went with the transgo kit it would work fine since you have low miles and usually no appreciable wear in the overlap valve bores.

Post Thanks / Like
    Getting ready to order the Sonnax and Transgo parts tonight...
    After reading thru this thread and referencing my Service Manual pages, I think I'm going to order the following.

Sonnax TCC Damper Valve Sleeve Kit 722.6 Mercedes 68942-23K
    -TCC Damper Valve
    -TCC Damper Sleeve
    -Spring
    -Retainer Ring
    -O-Rings (2)

Sonnax Overlap Control Valve Sleeve Kit 722.6 Mercedes 68942-05K
    -3- Sleeves (1 for each location)
    -3- O-rings

Transgo Shift Kit Mercedes 722.6 Dodge Chrysler Jeep Sprinter NAG1 (SK 722.6) found on the internet...
    This kit in particular does not come with the Overlap Control Valve Sleeves and is around $20 less expensive than the other kit SK 722.6-A.
    -Includes Pressure Regulator valve
    -Lube Regulator valve assembly
    -2 sleeves
    -2 springs

I will edit this if items change. I also plan to add 2 graphic pages that depict where these parts go in the valve body.
    Last edited by blue_devil; 11-13-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry for the late reply, they aren't as firm as say blue tops, but shifts just a bit firmer than stock. I used both kits to try to tackle a p0741 code that kept me from passing emissions. I even took the valve body apart and clean everything trying to figure out the problem. Cleared the code with a new mtcm. Those kits are good maintenance though

Edit: if you got the reaming tool and knew to ream, I believe thats is how people upgrade the valve body which sell for too much money.
    Last edited by ayeb; 11-12-2019 at 11:27 PM.
    2006 Charger R/T
    Likes blue_devil liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Root66 View Post
    Yes they can
    2006 Charger R/T
    Likes blue_devil liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread