Post Thanks / Like

MDS Fun and games.

Does anyone have the male and femaile halves of the C100 connector that they would like to sell. It's the one tucked up under the cowel above and to the left of the trans dipstick tube. it has 12 smaller pins in 2 rows flanked by 4 larger pins, 2 on each side in a black plastic.

I want to make a cheap Miller 8815 tool to check out my problematic MDS solenoids.

inTune 91 CAI, 180 stat, BB 6dB reso delete,Tranzformer, MDS indicator, ESP/BAS switch. Wire mesh grille, smoked and flashing side markers, 9005 2400k 65W fogs, rear fogs, debadged and demolded, 245/45/20 and 295/40/20 Continental DW's on 9"/10" F/R Viper Replicas, BCR Coilovers, Drake strut brace. Interior accent LED 's. 55/35 tint, BT catch can. LED interior lighting. BT bling, front parking sensors. Rear seat heaters. Color matched tails "MoPar" puddle lights. Custom front lip.
    MyGig 730N, Pyle 9.2" screen, iPod, front and rear cams.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is on a 2008 Magnum with the 5.7 and AWD. My MDS system went intermentant Sometime it would work some times it wouldn't. Sometimes the check engine light would come on, then go off, then back on. I thought it was an open in one of the connectors, but I couldn't find anything. I could move the wiring behind the engine and the MDS would operate for a while.

I took it to the dealer, and several hundred dollars it now works as it should. The parts they replaced, should anyone want to do this themselves are:
    4 ea 53032152AD solenoid
    8 ea 53032382AB seal
    1 ea 56045793AC wiring
    1 ea XXMS96574-19 PCV gasket
    1 ea 5277928 gasket
    1 ea 4591250 seal
    1 ea XX7305024-18 quick clip

Good luck

Post Thanks / Like
    In my case know which solenoid it is. #4 is showing an open circuit. I just want to make a tool to avoid making a mess of the harness connector.

inTune 91 CAI, 180 stat, BB 6dB reso delete,Tranzformer, MDS indicator, ESP/BAS switch. Wire mesh grille, smoked and flashing side markers, 9005 2400k 65W fogs, rear fogs, debadged and demolded, 245/45/20 and 295/40/20 Continental DW's on 9"/10" F/R Viper Replicas, BCR Coilovers, Drake strut brace. Interior accent LED 's. 55/35 tint, BT catch can. LED interior lighting. BT bling, front parking sensors. Rear seat heaters. Color matched tails "MoPar" puddle lights. Custom front lip.

Post Thanks / Like
    #4 was the error code on mine as well. If the circuit is open there "must" be an open connector or wire... All three circuits that go through C100 ohmed out the same. dealer said that when one goes bad, due to the difficulty in replacing the one, they replace all four coils, and the wiring harness. They did. No problem in the past four weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nobody??

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of doing the same thing. Wouldn't it be easier to make one for the C-101, (Behind the left cyl hd) it only has 5 wires - 4 12v & 1 GND. I am currently making a load tester to check the harness. There is no voltage present until PCM turns it on somewhere above 15-20 mph with engine load setting just right. Ohm testing can be off if there is still a few strands of wire, but load the circuit and you will see a voltage drop. Solenoid #6 wiring does not past thru C-100, it goes direct to PCM.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing to keep in mind is the cost of repair of the MDS system vs shutting it down. As the 1st gen cars are not worth a lot, unless you repair yourself assuming you have free time, it might not be worth it given the rather low fuel savings MDS provides.
    I turned mine off as I was getting a vibration during operation and frankly was surprised to find in my driving cycle, I'm only averaging about 1-2mpg less.
    So averaging 12K miles a year currently the cost difference with MDS off will be about $150 more with fuel @ $2.30gal.

If a dealer repair of the MDS system is $1K and I would bet its at least that or more...it would be close to another 7 yrs until I break even on the cost of the repair vs fuel savings lost.
    Likes derricklaukaitis liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    One thing to keep in mind is the cost of repair of the MDS system vs shutting it down. As the 1st gen cars are not worth a lot, unless you repair yourself assuming you have free time, it might not be worth it given the rather low fuel savings MDS provides.
    I turned mine off as I was getting a vibration during operation and frankly was surprised to find in my driving cycle, I'm only averaging about 1-2mpg less.
    So averaging 12K miles a year currently the cost difference with MDS off will be about $150 more with fuel @ $2.30gal.

If a dealer repair of the MDS system is $1K and I would bet its at least that or more...it would be close to another 7 yrs until I break even on the cost of the repair vs fuel savings lost.
    I would vote to kill the MDS simply because I cannot stand the lag between the time you put your foot down and the time all eight cylinders kick in!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by derricklaukaitis View Post
    I would vote to kill the MDS simply because I cannot stand the lag between the time you put your foot down and the time all eight cylinders kick in!
    Agree, that was a nice benefit to disabling MDS....the engine is more responsive now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by derricklaukaitis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    Agree, that was a nice benefit to disabling MDS....the engine is more responsive now.
    So you guys can actually detect the 4 hundredths of a second it takes to transition?
    Last edited by done; 03-23-2019 at 09:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Found some good tools to tap into the wires, so testing problem solved. Continuity was OK on the solenoid with the correct resistance so the problem is elsewhere. I'm just going to turn it off. The new solenoids go into my inventory.