Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Water pumps

Post Thanks / Like

Water pumps

At what mileage did you need a new waterpump? I'm replacing the fans and have a clean shot at the waterpump now. 130,000 miles plus. New dealer part or aftermarket?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    05' Magnum R/T HEMI Registry #889 CAI, JBA Ceramic shorties-CATless, MTCM, Predator , MDS, ESP, 3.06 Getrag swap, HALOS
    Aus liebe zum Automobile "Out of Love for the Automobile"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CURLY View Post
    At what mileage did you need a new waterpump? I'm replacing the fans and have a clean shot at the waterpump now. 130,000 miles plus. New dealer part or aftermarket?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
    Why waste the money. The pump will let you know when the seal is compromised by starting to dribble from the bleed hole.

The idea of replacing parts just for the sake if it has zero merit. No other discipline replaces serviceable parts...just for the purpose of replacement under the mistaken idea that a new part somehow has more integrity.

If its working fine / serviceable...leave it be.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 05-14-2019 at 05:20 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes Jay Z, blistering liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If it was me, and I was already in there, I would just replace it. Is there 10k miles of life left or even 20k? Who knows, but certainly there is 100K+ of life in the brand new one. If you do it now it likely won't be failing in a few months on your way out of town with the family.

To my way of thinking, an old part with 130k miles on it will have less integrity than a new part with no miles.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockhound View Post
    If it was me, and I was already in there, I would just replace it. Is there 10k miles of life left or even 20k? Who knows, but certainly there is 100K+ of life in the brand new one. If you do it now it likely won't be failing in a few months on your way out of town with the family.

To my way of thinking, an old part with 130k miles on it will have less integrity than a new part with no miles.
    Brand new parts possess absolutely zero integrity.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 05-15-2019 at 06:47 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes Warlock liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd change it. Why not, you're right there. Cost for pump isn't bad, if it were me, dealer part.
    2013 Chrysler 300S, 6.4 BGE with 6.4 SRT cam, AIT 18% OD pulley, E-force with 2.75 pulley, fastman 84+4 mm throttle body, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Trans built by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73, Walbro 400LPH, DW 65# inj. LG aluminum rad. Dual SRT fans. Complete 4 piston Brembo upgrade.
    XIX X39 22x9 - 22x10.5 with NITTO 420 275/40R22 +15 - 295/30R22 +22

Post Thanks / Like
    How, or what makes a brand new part better than one that is demonstrating serviceability and integrity?
    Last edited by Hemissary; 05-15-2019 at 06:49 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    how, or what makes a new part better than one that has demonstrated serviceability?
    You must be an engineer? Does someone really have to explain to you that parts wear out?
    2013 Chrysler 300S, 6.4 BGE with 6.4 SRT cam, AIT 18% OD pulley, E-force with 2.75 pulley, fastman 84+4 mm throttle body, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Trans built by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73, Walbro 400LPH, DW 65# inj. LG aluminum rad. Dual SRT fans. Complete 4 piston Brembo upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coanan View Post
    You must be an engineer? Does someone really have to explain to you that parts wear out?
    You're not listening...

It has nothing(!) to do with "wearing out". A water pump that is performing nominally...is not "wearing out". Why is it a good idea to replace it in this (backyard mechanic) setting - yet everywhere else across the board no one would be stupid enough to replace objects that are functioning nominally??

The evidence since 2004 is these water pumps are outliving the service life of the vehicle...

Likes Warlock liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You are right. Why change a part if it isn't broken? He is not randomly picking a part and saying; "I think I'll change this" and tear the car apart for no reason. He has the fluid drained and radiator out, water pumps fail, it's a know fact. Why go through the trouble of tearing the car apart again when he can replace it now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coanan View Post
    You are right. Why change a part if it isn't broken? He is not randomly picking a part and saying; "I think I'll change this" and tear the car apart for no reason. He has the fluid drained and radiator out, water pumps fail, it's a know fact. Why go through the trouble of tearing the car apart again when he can replace it now.
    I hear what you're saying; what then if the new part fails right away, or 100mi later, or 1000mi later? How does this compare to a part that has an excellent / unblemished service history showing no sign of failure...and was removed on the premise it might fail?

A lot of this emotionally-driven wasteful behavior has been generated over the years by unscrupulous garages and dealerships. It preys on people's fears by simply planting the seed that "it could fail, so you're better off replacing it now". Or simply(!) a baseless notion that "new" implies better / superior / virgin-like / <place adjective here>

Its bullsh!t, always has been.

The amount of serviceable parts that have been thrown away (or worse - kept and installed on other customer vehicles) and the significant addition to a / any company's bottom line that is easily classified as theft from customers (successful court cases to-boot) has been a going concern for a very long time.

The new ZF transmission is not meant to be serviced; this is driving customers nuts cause they, in their infinite wisdom(!) believe the fluid should be changed at some sort of interval that soothes their touchie-feelie soft spots. No basis in logic or fact...just the notion "well - gee - THAT can't be right".

If people want to replace working parts cause they believe they are adding some sort of security or integrity is simply false. Do it cause it makes you feel good...but don't for a second believe you've delayed some sort of potential failure.

Edit: when I used to have a shop performing repairs, I always bagged the parts and gave them to the customer when they paid their bill. It demonstrated that the parts called out on the WO as being replaced were in fact replaced. It also generated a sense of honesty on my part. One time, a customer recommended me to someone who brought their vehicle in for repair, I replaced parts, gave the broken ones back...a few days later he challenged me that the parts were not from his vehicle. He attempted to litigate...guess how that turned for him.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 05-19-2019 at 10:49 PM.

Likes moparmike610 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My '06 pump went 224,000...I just replaced it...and you don't need to remove the fans to replace it.
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    ...and for reference my '01 Durango 4.7L water pump I just replaced a month ago. It had 354,000 miles on it.
    My '14 Durango's water pump failed at 38,000.
    So, don't replace until needed and in my experience trying to predict when it will fail is a lost cause.
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Chase300 View Post
    ...and for reference my '01 Durango 4.7L water pump I just replaced a month ago. It had 354,000 miles on it.
    My '14 Durango's water pump failed at 38,000.
    So, don't replace until needed and in my experience trying to predict when it will fail is a lost cause.
    Money would be better (slightly) spent on a lotto tickets :^D
    Last edited by Hemissary; 05-15-2019 at 11:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This discussion on passive / active part performance / integrity / replacement occurs elsewhere / periodically and the same anchoring (focalism) bias plays out in precisely the same manner every time. Reasonable folks look for evidence by taking the time to rationalize - prior to decision-making; it can be an eureka moment.

I'd bet real money though - most people will not be able to resist their emotional attachment / cognitive bias and replace parts willie-nillie :^D

Post Thanks / Like
    If you focus on the water pump only. When you replace it what about the o-ring behind the timing cover? It gets disturbed when the pump is taken off. So why not take the timing cover off to replace that o-ring.
    Then while you're in there, hmm theres the timing chain and tensioner, should you replace that too?

Why put a new pump on and have that o-ring leak...

When I rebuilt my engine it had a newer pump on it. I replaced it only because there are two types of o-rings for the pump and no parts stores from Advance auto to Napa stock the correct one. They all have the other one.
    So I got a new pump with a new o-ring, this o-ring also fit my old pump.

And if you do the pump should you be like the ford guys with the 302 or 351 and replace the water pump bolts even though theres nothing wrong with them.... you gotta replace the bolts.... with ARP stainless.
    Likes optimus124 liked this post

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast