Post Thanks / Like

Odd chattering noise from engine but only heard from inside with windows up.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10G...nm-NkQGS3D5xI4

I have an odd light chattering sound coming from my engine bay but it can only be heard from the inside of the vehicle with windows up. Over one year ago I got a mild build on my car replacing the head, cams, headers and torque converter. This work was done by what seems to be the only option left in Southern California. I was happy with the power output but felt that the service couldn't be any worse.

When I got the car back, I noticed an extremely light chatter coming from the engine bay but could never pinpoint the exact sound. I recently decided to fix all the nagging issues with the vehicle suspension wise. That included 4 new tires, a tension bar in the rear that caused the loudest pop when letting off brakes a certain way, inspection of the rear subframe bushing, rear shocks, front struts and every suspension component in the front that can wear except for knuckle bearings as they are good, engine and transmission mounts.

That fixed all other noises and issues that I had but this. Four different mechanics couldn't find out where it is coming from. Today I tried again and had a breakthrough. I noticed that the belt tensioner jumping just a bit but I believed that it is normal due to the rough idle due to the cams. I pulled the belt, started the engine and noticed that the noise was gone. I replaced the tensioner pully but that wasn't the issue. It seems that both the tensioner and idle pulleys have just the slightest play when screwed in but after removing it, the bearing while slightly tight, has no side play. I installed a new one and it didn't help. I wonder if the entire tensioner assembly can cause this noise that I've had for so long.

I noticed that my dashcam catches the noise but it isn't as loud as the dash cam makes it seem. https://drive.google.com/open?id=10G...nm-NkQGS3D5xI4
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

Inertia Motorsports Big Valve Heads, Spartan Plus Cams, SRT8 Headers, Mids and Radiator, SRT8 Magnaflow clone catback.

Honda S2000 retrofitted projectors in CCFL ringed housing, Denso Ballasts, Phillips X-TremeVision Gen2 D2S bulbs. all LED switchback Amber/White parking/signal in front, signal in rear, parking, running, Fogs, License, sidemarker, interior, hatch and HVAC cluster lights.

376 rwhp 405 rwtq

Post Thanks / Like
    Could be the tensioner hitting the stop. I had a 302 ford doing that. The belt looked good when checking but with the engine running it was tapping the tensioner stop.
    I fixed it with a shorter belt.
    Last edited by Jay727; 06-03-2019 at 10:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unfortunately, this doesn't appear to be the case. The tensioner has a bit to go before reaching max. The belt can stretch quite a bit before that may be an issue. I am waiting for a mechanic's stethiscope to poke around. In my situation, it will be the worst possible thing to go wrong. I've never had good luck with what seems like little issues. It will be something that requires a full rebuild...…………..
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

Inertia Motorsports Big Valve Heads, Spartan Plus Cams, SRT8 Headers, Mids and Radiator, SRT8 Magnaflow clone catback.

Honda S2000 retrofitted projectors in CCFL ringed housing, Denso Ballasts, Phillips X-TremeVision Gen2 D2S bulbs. all LED switchback Amber/White parking/signal in front, signal in rear, parking, running, Fogs, License, sidemarker, interior, hatch and HVAC cluster lights.

376 rwhp 405 rwtq

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems it's happening only when coming to. A stop/slowing down right?

My ,09 made a similar noise after cam, heads, headers, exhaust install. Slower speeds, greater idle bounce because of cam

My new thicker piping (, from headers) was vibrating against the underside of the vehicle. Specifically the tunnel brace. The original isn't able to fit much thicker an exhaust pipe than stock. Fix: added washers to get extra room.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, I just picked up my stethiscope and it appears that the sound is comming from the A/C compressor. Important notes is that it makes this noise with the A/C off as well as on. I'm guessing it's the bearing.

Quote Originally Posted by stoviAZ View Post
    Seems it's happening only when coming to. A stop/slowing down right?

My ,09 made a similar noise after cam, heads, headers, exhaust install. Slower speeds, greater idle bounce because of cam

My new thicker piping (, from headers) was vibrating against the underside of the vehicle. Specifically the tunnel brace. The original isn't able to fit much thicker an exhaust pipe than stock. Fix: added washers to get extra room.

Funny as that was one of the noises that I had to fix. I got that fixed long ago though.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

376 rwhp 405 rwtq
    Likes stoviAZ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EsQueue View Post
    Okay, I just picked up my stethiscope and it appears that the sound is comming from the A/C compressor. Important notes is that it makes this noise with the A/C off as well as on. I'm guessing it's the bearing.

Funny as that was one of the noises that I had to fix. I got that fixed long ago though.
    Yes probably bearings, that unit spins at all times, a clutch engages/disengages compressor.

I chased that exhaust vibrating sound for a week or two. Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    I called a very highly yelp rated auto hvac mechanic. I gave him my findings from my diagnostic and he said that it definitely sounds like the main bearings. Told me that he'd honestly recommend using if I am not bothered by the sound and gave me the worst case scenario. He said that he's know some to go years with that issue. For $900 I might just get it fixed as it isn't as much as I thought for A/C compressor, all related parts and labor. This is the last thing left from my car running perfect.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

376 rwhp 405 rwtq

Post Thanks / Like
    I called a very highly yelp rated auto hvac mechanic. I gave him my findings from my diagnostic and he said that it definitely sounds like the main bearings. Told me that he'd honestly recommend using if I am not bothered by the sound and gave me the worst case scenario. He said that he's know some to go years with that issue. For $900 I might just get it fixed as it isn't as much as I thought for A/C compressor, all related parts and labor. This is the last thing left from my car running perfect.

Main bearings?
    Guess thats a typo or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    Main bearings?
    Guess thats a typo or something.
    I meant compressor bearings but not it's clutch bearings.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

376 rwhp 405 rwtq

Post Thanks / Like
    I meant compressor bearings but not it's clutch bearings.

So if it's compressor bearings and not the clutch bearing it would only make noise with the ac on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay727 View Post
    So if it's compressor bearings and not the clutch bearing it would only make noise with the ac on.
    LOOOLLLLL, you are absolutely correct. I'll update when I see what's going on.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

376 rwhp 405 rwtq

Post Thanks / Like
    So... sometimes it would do it only with the A/C on and somewhat quiet when off. Most of the time it will be noisy with the A/C off. Solution, got the entire compressor replaced. Quiet now as it should be. Costed a bit over $600 with tax. I am happy and it wasn't as expensive as I thought.
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T

376 rwhp 405 rwtq
    Thanks SCOTT57RT thanked for this post