Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silver06rt View Post
    I don't know of an insur company that is paying for repairs on a 16 year old car that had a motor go BOOM.
    Ever see one for sale at a car dealership? Probably.

Somone wants to finance a car it's required to have full coverage insurance.
    That car breaks down and a person owes money on it and it has a $5000 repair needed to make it driveable what do they do. Either see if the dealer will take it back, or pay out of pocket, or see if the insurance will help. If the insurance company looks at it they total it. If you give it back to the dealer (which is highly unlikely they'd just take it back) what do they do with it....

Whatever the case is it is not an assumption or whatever, it's a fact that there are 12 to 15 year old cars at auction yards, like copart, that have the insurance companies name on them and the problem listed as "mechanical". That means an insurance company totalled it based on the repair bill being higher than the vehicles worth.

Just go to one of the auction sites, go right to copart. They have a very detailed listing of each of these 16 year old cars. 16 years considering trucks. Cars are 12 to 15 years, and thats what I'm looking at on the auction sites.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Myckee View Post
    The valve seat issue went away in 2009 when the heads were redesigned and the engines had VVT.
    Not really. May have slowed down but here is a picture of a set of 2009+ eagle heads that I had machined because a valve seat fell out. This is obviously after the machine work was done but there is damage left from where the valve seat pieces beat the head up.

Worth noting, this engine is "off the record" Meaning no one in the world know that this engine dropped a valve seat so it's not a statistic in the number of engines on the road with no problems.

https://ibb.co/2n91Y5P
    Last edited by 69RT; 05-09-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Some interesting information in this thread.

First, I wouldn't suggest laying out that kind of quag on an '06 R/T, I don't care how clean or how low the mileage. Low miles aren't a guarantee of anything.

I bought an '05 300C five years ago, but only because it was $2500 and I figured if it dropped a valve seat, it wasn't the end of the world. If you've got $12k to spend, do yourself a favor and look for a clean, well maintained second-gen car, or at least an 09-up Eagle.

Defintely don't count on your insurer to repair a dropped valve seat. Insurers have entire departments full of workers whose sole job it is to find a way, any way, to avoid having to pay out on claims. This process is called "post-claim underwriting". They sure as hell aren't looking for ways to pay for your engine failure under your standard auto policy.

Sure, insurance companies often have to sell cars with mechanical issues. That doesn't necessarily mean that they compensated anyone for those issues. They may have totaled the car due to theft, where the thief caused the mechanical failure by abuse, which makes it a covered event. But the only way an insurance company is paying for a dropped valve seat in your '06 Charger while you were driving it, is if you had some sort of extended warranty or service agreement...and good luck getting one of those on a fourteen-year-old car.
    "Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by silver06rt View Post
    I don't know of an insur company that is paying for repairs on a 16 year old car that had a motor go BOOM.
    Thats right, they total it and send it to auction.

Heres one example right here. If the link works. https://www.copart.com/lot/37331580
    2006 Charger R/T 120,000 miles. You have to log in to the site to see what insurance company totalled it. But why would Geico total a perfectly good looking car like this? It's just like the ones I've seen, chunks of metal in the intake manifold, typical of a valve seat drop.

How do you know if it's engine or something else? Create an account and see more details. If it was the transmission more likely it says has keys and starts. Some say will lot drive.
    Last edited by 69RT; 05-09-2020 at 09:45 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 69RT View Post
    Based on what? Absolutely NOTHING.

If you have FACTS tell everyone how many Hemi engines have never had a problem and how many did have a problem. You have no idea how many cars and trucks just failed and the owners just forked out the money to have them fixed. You have no numbers on how many had problems, you have no numbers on how many didn't have problems.
    As I said earlier in this thread, if you're worried about it, don't buy one. Every engine has its problems. Either buy it and get it 'fixed', enjoy it as is, or forget it. And assuming every 15 year old Hemi on copart labeled 'mechanical failure' is a valve seat... How often do people check their oil? It's 15 years old. Any number of things could have caused the mechanical failure to occur. Without tearing them down you'll never know. It's an assumption, and we all know what happens when you assume... As I said, if it really bothers you, don't buy one. Leave it for me!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

1972 Dodge D200, 318/727, soon 440/518

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

Oh Drat! Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    On a 2006 with 120,000 miles they would probably total it for a broken front bumper trim if one of the headlights was also broken. Mechanical.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTSDart340 View Post
    As I said earlier in this thread, if you're worried about it, don't buy one. Every engine has its problems. Either buy it and get it 'fixed', enjoy it as is, or forget it. And assuming every 15 year old Hemi on copart labeled 'mechanical failure' is a valve seat... How often do people check their oil? It's 15 years old. Any number of things could have caused the mechanical failure to occur. Without tearing them down you'll never know. It's an assumption, and we all know what happens when you assume... As I said, if it really bothers you, don't buy one. Leave it for me!

Like I said before. I've been to the Copart location 1/2 hour from my house and looked at some mechanically failed cars. Chunks of shiney metal in the intake manifold usually means a valve seat. I don't know what an oil change has to do with a valve seat dropping.

I've seen GM engines caked up with what looks like the factory fill of oil and they didn't have valve seats in the intake manifold.

Post Thanks / Like
    Without tearing them down you'll never know. It's an assumption, and we all know what happens when you assume...
    Don't assume I've never bought any of these cars from the auction. Like I said earlier, I can fix a Hemi that's dropped a valve seat myself.

Post Thanks / Like
    Never said you did. However, you ARE assuming every car on copart died because of the valve seat....

1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

1972 Dodge D200, 318/727, soon 440/518

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

Oh Drat! Racing
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Another thing to consider is that I believe a lot of these valve seat failures have occurred as a result of an overheating event. Whatever the cause of that event, whether it be belt failure, water pump, thermostat, rad, hoses, or cooling fan, the result is the same. The head overheats, tolerances loosen, and the seats drop. Any engine is at risk for a catastrophic failure from a bad overheat event, even the 09+ Eagle engines. If your cooling system is in good order your risk is likely less.

I bought my 300C with a failed engine due to a dropped seat. In the replacement, junkyard acquired engine, I am using a cooler 180 degree thermostat as well as a SDII (super duty 2) SRT8 radiator. Hopefully cheap insurance against another failure. Time will tell I guess. The replacement engine has 191k Km and 4000 hours on it, so it is right in the failure zone. I am hoping that I will get many years and many more kilometers, but time will tell.
    Likes XFR SRT8 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Never said you did. However, you ARE assuming every car on copart died because of the valve seat....

Read my posts. Every mention of cars I have seen on copart I said I have gone to the location and looked at them. Thats not the defintion of assuming.

Post Thanks / Like
    That copart deal is interesting. One must remember how much value is your car if YOU were going to sell it. My R/T is wearing a ton of aftermarket parts. Still is clean but I would not get anywhere near what I put into it. I love the look of older gen Chargers. If I had to get another I would check out copart.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had this car I am looking at, driving along and that motor **** my car insurance coverage will not cover that type of damage. I have never know any car insur company that would.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's worth the money in my opinion to pay extra for a well maintained low mileage car compared to a higher mileage not so well maintained car. But that price seems too high. If you want it, offer a couple thou less and wait.

I only paid $22,000 plus $250 doc fee for my "new" leftover 05 Magnum RT in July of 06. I bought it in AL where I was working and drove it home to NC to register and pay sales taxes on it. It had 1,400 miles on it from salemen and potential buyers driving it. Still enjoying it at 116k miles on it now with no dropped valve seat yet.... Knock on wood.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know his price is high. I can't think at auction or trade in that they paid more than 7500 for it. Sure it is in great shape but I don't think there is a market for this model now with the newer ones with more HP. They have been sitting on it since early Feb.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast