Post Thanks / Like

3rd Gen UConnect in 2nd gen

I know this is one of those things I've seen talked about over the years, but I'm wondering if anyone has put any serious effort into making a 15+ UConnect radio work in an 11-14 car. If so, it would be good to compare notes to avoid wasted effort.

I bought a 13 RAM last year and upgraded the radio a few times during the winter. It's now running a 17 RA4. When summer came around I started to drive my car (12 300 SRT) again and my hatred of the system is even greater now that I'm doing a direct comparison to the RAM. There are still some shortcomings in the truck and it's definitely not up to par with the next gen radios that debuted this year in the cars. But, it's much better than what I have currently.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about the upgrade, and I recently decided to try to see if it's at all viable. My first goal was to find out how the new radio would behave (and how the car would respond) once I put it on the CAN buses.

I have a spare RA3 from a 15 RAM, so I went ahead and wired that up in parallel with my existing radio using the diagnostic connector. All I needed was CAN-C, CAN-IHS, and power, so that was the best way to do it without having to pull the car apart. The good news is that it booted right up as soon as i turned on the ignition. It detected it was in a new vehicle, reset itself, and asked for the unlock code. I was able to unlock it and then play around with it. Most of the core functionality is there. It responds to the ignition status, it dims when the headlights are on, all the climate controls work, the heated/cooled seat buttons are functional, I gained an auto dim mirror button (also working), and it responds to the steering wheel controls for audio and the VR/phone as well.

Now, I noticed two obvious issues. The first is that as soon as I put it on CAN-IHS, it causes the EVIC to alternate between English and German. The compass heading also alternates between the correct one and north. I don't know if this is a side effect of having two radios running at the same time, or if it will persist even after removing the stock one. The next issue is that I don't have my SRT pages. It's detecting it's an SRT because it loads the SRT theme and gives me the SRT icon for the apps. But, when I go in there, there is no performance pages. This also means that I can't toggle Sport and Track modes.

Those two issues aside, there is still a lot to figure out. The physical mounting will be tricky. The wiring will be a pain, but most of the connections are the same so I should be able to build a plug and play adapter. The big concerns I have are:

-Interfacing with the amp: The current system uses the dedicated telematics bus to communicate between the radio and the amp. This bus doesn't exist on the new cars, and everything is done on the IHS bus. Best case scenario is that the commands are the same and I can just move my amp over to IHS. If not, hopefully I can swap in a 15+ amp (which will also require a wiring adapter).

-Hands free:The current system uses a separate telematics module for Bluetooth that lives on the telematics bus. On the new ones it's integrated in the radio. I think I should just be able to make a jumper that connects the mics directly to the radio, but I'm not sure if everything will work completely.

This is a massive undertaking, and I think it has a fairly low chance of working. But, I plan to work on it slowly as time allows and see if I can get anywhere.
    Last edited by 00R/T; 08-11-2017 at 08:51 AM.
    2012 300 SRT - Deep Cherry - H/K Sound - Pano Roof
    2008 Grand Cherokee Overland - Brilliant Black/Saddle Brown - HEMI w/ QDII

2000 Intrepid R/T - Inferno Red - Retired
    2010 Challenger R/T Classic 6spd - B5 Blue - SOLD
    Likes DJX liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Subscribed. IF it works Im in
    LMI True 4" CAI - Tranzformer V2 - Trinity - QTP Cut Outs - Killer Glass - BT Catch Can & Underhood Bling
    20x9.5, 20x10.5 Brass Monkey Hellcat Reps - KW Adjustable Springs - Stainless Long Tube Headers w/ Catless Mids - Whipple 2.9L - TruFiber Deep Dish Grill - Amerihood Hellcat Hood

Post Thanks / Like
    I think I know why the performance pages app is missing. I started digging around in a firmware update file for the radio I have. Buried in there is a table of all the radio part numbers grouped by year and vehicle family. Each p/n has the name of a folder that contains the apps. In that folder there appears to be only one version of each app (Yelp, Pandora, etc) except for the performance pages, which has 3. The config files for each also have a line that the others don't and it contains the requirements for the app to be visible. All 3 require the "performance pages present" flag to be turned on in the BCM's config file. They also require a certain "vehicle line" setting. If I have the codes right, one wants Viper, one wants Grand Cherokee, and one wants 300, Charger, or Challenger.

At one point in time I modified the BCM config in my truck to say it had performance pages and was a Grand Cherokee. The other modules lost their minds, but the performance pages app showed up.

So, my hypothesis is that something in the firmware update script causes only one of the SRT apps to be installed based on the p/n. The RAM radios get the Jeep one, which will only load if it reads the WK vehicle line from the BCM.

Post Thanks / Like

3rd Gen UConnect in 2nd gen

Real interesting you're doing this. I had a line on a 2016 300 SRT screen from Australia that somehow was in Vegas. I passed though. I really wanted the newer performance pages and launch control screen among all of the other features but figured it wasn't worth it just to experiment. I also could have gotten the A/C control module that has the SRT button on it too.

You're much more tech savvy than I am, so I wish you the best in figuring it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bugsy View Post
    Real interesting you're doing this. I had a line on a 2016 300 SRT screen from Australia that somehow was in Vegas. I passed though. I really wanted the newer performance pages and launch control screen among all of the other features but figured it wasn't worth it just to experiment. I also could have gotten the A/C control module that has the SRT button on it too.

You're much more tech savvy than I am, so I wish you the best in figuring it out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're actually better off with a US radio since there's nothing special about the one in an SRT and the Aussie one will have no Sirius and the wrong maps.

The control panel, on the other hand, is something I'd love to get my hands on. They're like $750 from the dealer. I can find a regular one easily enough, but a used SRT one in the states is highly unlikely.

vyper883 is offline 300C- A Demon In Gentleman's Clothing...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put this together about a year ago.
    The RA4 radios have one connector (C1) which corresponds to the C2 and C3 connectors on an RB5. I wanted to create a harness adaptor and try it myself. I never did get around to it. Busy with life and other things, plus I didn't want to shell out for an RA4. Here's the xls if it will help you.

EDIT:
    It won't let me attach the .xls file for some reason

See next post below.
    Last edited by vyper883; 10-01-2018 at 01:26 AM.
    VYPER883
    300C... A Demon In Gentleman's Clothing...
    300C SRT 8... Pure Evil Dressed to the Nine's...

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have ****ed with? That's me." Clint Eastwood as Walt Kowalski in Gran Torino.

vyper883 is offline 300C- A Demon In Gentleman's Clothing...
    Post Thanks / Like
    RA4 C1 Premium 68225148AA
    PIN 1 GY CAN C (+)
    PIN 2 DB CAN IHS (+)
    PIN 6 LG/LB AUX AUDIO RIGHT SIGNAL
    PIN 7 LG/DB AUX AUDIO COMMON
    PIN 11 YL CAN C (-)
    PIN 12 WT CAN IHS (-)
    PIN 16 LG/BG AUX AUDIO LEFT SIGNAL
    PIN 17 LG/YL AUX AUDIO DEVICE DETECT SIGNAL
    PIN 29 LB/DG MIC IN (-)
    PIN 30 DG/LB MIC 1 IN (+)
    PIN 31 DG/BR CAMERA SIGNAL
    PIN 32 DG/OR CAMERA RETURN
    PIN 33 SI CAMERA SHIELD
    PIN 39 LB/BG HANDS FREE MIC 2 IN (-)
    PIN 40 LB/DG MIC 2 IN (+)
    PIN 43 BK GROUND
    PIN 44 RD FUSED B (+)
    PIN 45 GY/DB RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+)
    PIN 46 GY/BR RADIO RIGHT FRONT AUDIO (+)
    PIN 47 DG RADIO LEFT FRONT AUDIO (+)
    PIN 48 DG/DB LEFT REAR SPEAKER (+)
    PIN 49 GY/OR RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-)
    PIN 50 GY/BR RADIO RIGHT FRONT AUDIO (-)
    PIN 51 DG/BR RADIO LEFT FRONT AUDIO (-)
    PIN 52 DG/OR LEFT REAR SPEAKER (-)

*PIN 3 LB/VT AIRBAG DEPLOYMENT SIGNAL
    * PINS WTH ASTRSK N/A TO RETROFIT
    PIN #'s THAT ARE ABSENT, ARE BLANK IN CONNECTOR

RB5 C2 68032268AA
    PIN 6 GY/DB CAN C (+) PRIVATE BUS AUDIO TELEMATICS
    PIN 7 CAN IHS (125K) (+)
    PIN 2 BR/DB AUX AUDIO RIGHT SIGNAL
    PIN 4 BR AUX AUDIO COMMON
    PIN 17 GY/YL CAN C (-) PRIVATE BUS AUDIO TELEMATICS
    PIN 18 WT CAN IHS (125K) (-)
    PIN 3 BR/LG AUX AUDIO LEFT SIGNAL
    PIN 5 AUX AUDIO DEVICE DETECT SIGNALPIN 1 BK GROUND

PIN 12 RD/WT FUSED B (+)
    PIN 9 GY/DB RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (+)
    PIN 11 GY RADIO RIGHT FRONT AUDIO (+)
    PIN 22 DG RADIO LEFT FRONT AUDIO (+)
    PIN 20 DG/DB LEFT REAR SPEAKER (+)
    PIN 8 GY/OR RIGHT REAR SPEAKER (-)
    PIN 10 GY/BR RADIO RIGHT FRONT AUDIO (-)
    PIN 21 DG/BR RADIO LEFT FRONT AUDIO (-)
    PIN 19 DG/OR LEFT REAR SPEAKER (-)
    PIN 13 OR/LB PASS TO RADIO AUDIO RT
    PIN 14 OR/TN PASS TO RADIO AUDIO LT
    PIN 15 OR/DB PASS TO RADIO AUDIO REFERENCE

RB5 C3 05083221AA
    PIN 3 GY MIC IN (-)
    PIN 5 DG/LB MIC 1 IN (+)
    PIN 15 DG/OR CAMERA SIGNAL
    PIN 16 DG/GY CAMERA RETURN
    PIN 17 SI CAMERA SHIELD
    PIN 2 LB/TN HANDS FREE MIC 2 IN (-)
    PIN 4 LB/DG MIC 2 IN (+)
    VYPER883
    300C... A Demon In Gentleman's Clothing...
    300C SRT 8... Pure Evil Dressed to the Nine's...

"Ever notice how you come across somebody once in a while you shouldn't have ****ed with? That's me." Clint Eastwood as Walt Kowalski in Gran Torino.
    Likes Boom! liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Anyone ever make any headway on this? Last I researched it I noticed the same that vyper883 posted - looks like you can rewire the existing harness and would only be missing the airbag deployment signal wire. I think all that does is connect to the updated rearview mirror for automatically calling for help when a collision occurs, I doubt missing this wire would affect the radio's ability to operate.

I have switched my gauge cluster to the new 15+ style and I think that also would eliminate the alternating language issue 00R/T experienced (which also could have happened due to him running 2 radios at once).

Any further input or brainstorming would be awesome.