Post Thanks / Like

Oil cooler change question

I noticed that after 2015, the oil cooler inlet hose moved from the t fitting on the thermostat housing to a port on the water pump. Does anyone know why this change was made and what difference it makes?

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    I think its on the other side of the thermostat than the inlet housing, and if so I'm not sure of the effect.

I will say when shopping for water pumps if you buy one with the nipple installed in the pump its $70.00-$100.00 more then the plugged one!Same pump, same impeller............
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Edelbrock E-Force 2300TVS 6.4 PSI, Mustang-Dyno Tuned 418hp/430tq, 3.06:1, Severe Duty Radiator, Dual Fans, OE Oil Cooler, Pursuit BR9 Brakes, Corsa CatBack, Bilstein Dampers, Catch Can, AlfaOBD enabled Sport Mode & SRT Pages, Fogs on w/High Beams, Add Reverse Cam & Auto Dimming & Tilt in Reverse Left Door Mirror.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah makes sense to just swap the nipple!

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have the part number for the hose from the cooler to the water pump for 15+ 6.4L? Seeing different ones and not sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see two inlet hose listings on the usual mopar parts sites looking at 2016 SRT, even more variables on the scat pack lists. Looks like finding one with the nipple hose and obtaining its VIN last 8 digits and hit up the dealership parts counter.

It seems with the inlet t-stat housing to oil cooler hose if the t-stat is closed coolant is not flowing through the cooler until the t-stat opens. And perhaps with the water pump nipple instead of said, when the t-stat is closed the oil cooler is included with the coolant looping through the block.

Either way the effects are for cold start allowing the oil to warm sooner? That's what I'm smoking anyway.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Edelbrock E-Force 2300TVS 6.4 PSI, Mustang-Dyno Tuned 418hp/430tq, 3.06:1, Severe Duty Radiator, Dual Fans, OE Oil Cooler, Pursuit BR9 Brakes, Corsa CatBack, Bilstein Dampers, Catch Can, AlfaOBD enabled Sport Mode & SRT Pages, Fogs on w/High Beams, Add Reverse Cam & Auto Dimming & Tilt in Reverse Left Door Mirror.

Thanks azchrisf thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't say for sure on this L cars, but in general there are Green House Gas credits available from the govt if you have devices that help warm up the engine faster. Sometimes by re-routing oil coolers (after the thermostat to before) they become oil-heaters during the warm up phase. Even if the actual benefit to the customer may not be noticeable, it is a "directionally correct" technology the govt encourages with bonus points to the manufacturer because it adds up over the entire fleet of cars in the US and helps encourage developing lower cost ways of improving fuel economy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jdm7 that’s very interesting. I’d almost wager that could be the reason, it also eliminates the extra thermostat housing needed.
    Its more than possible to stick the thing on an existing 5.7, just get the bung and pop out the plug they mistakenly call a bleed screw and replace.