Modern Muscle Performance Group

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome photos, the passenger side headers on the 1st gen Dakota are a b!tch. I like the front 2 going up and over, my neighbor's 92 we went up with all 4 of the passenger side pipes and out the fenderwell. He went with manual brake,stearing and an a833.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the headers out for the last time, welded the inside of the tubes to the flanges. They are still pretty straight. I'm going to bolt them to cast iron manifolds to try to limit warping when I do the outside. These cheap collectors don't fit well.
    Oil pan does not fit, need to notch the crossmember. Have to modify the transmission mount for exhaust clearance. I kept the headers tucked up high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looking good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Finished welding the headers today. end of one flange moved a little bit, think it will be fine. here it is bolted to a manifold.
    I was going to use a head but decided heat might hurt it. Was hard to weld in some places.
    Likes chrisp2493 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Might have the 6.1 in today or tomorrow. I just need to test fit oil pan clearance and weld up the crossmember.
    Got the dipstick tube fit and changed the stud for the oil pickup. I left the stud where the other pickup tube was bolted, its not in the way.
    I also ported the entrance on the header flanges. The factory 6.1 header has a small opening.

Thanks chrisp2493 thanked for this post
    Likes chrisp2493 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Its in.

I did not need the transmission spacer, my 5.7 did not have dowels so I put some in and test fit the spacer. Turns out it was a slight misalignment making the converter seem stuck in. 6.1 has a reducer pressed in the crank, I welded some bolts to it and slide hammered it out.

Going to bolt up headers tomorrow, they were a pain as they need to be in before the engine. Need to order stuff next.

Post Thanks / Like
    I got the headers bolted up, transmission all bolted up, modified transmission crossmember for exhaust clearance. Power steering pressure line is the same fitting so re bent it a bit and bolted it on. I made a manual brake conversion bracket. Just need to make the pushrod.

Rad will be here soon, will need to order an electric fan and figure out hoses. Need to run fuel system and a bunch of wiring. Might do some short cuts to get it up and running.

Post Thanks / Like
    So that reducer you mentioned …… If a nag1 transmission is going behind the 5.7 or 6.1 that reducer is what centers the converter hub. If a 545rfe (which is used in the trucks and jeeps) is used then the reducer is not needed because the hub on the converter is larger diameter, just throwing some info out there if anyone was wondering.

Post Thanks / Like
    Got the fuel system lines cut to length. Just have to tighten everything and add some clamps.

I tried the master cylinder pushrod I made. Brakes are rock hard. Peddle ratio is 3.6:1. I see there is a higher hole which would make it 6.7:1. I need to take the peddle out and make a bolt for the pushrod as the factory one is welded in.

Will be on to wiring soon and making exhaust.

Post Thanks / Like
    3.6:1 yikes. I bet its hard lol. What size master bore?

Post Thanks / Like
    Its 24mm according to what I can find online for replacement master cylinders. I don't think the bore size is a problem. I also don't like the angle of the pushrod to the master.
    I cannot find anything on whether these trucks came with manual brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Glen440 View Post
    Its 24mm according to what I can find online for replacement master cylinders. I don't think the bore size is a problem. I also don't like the angle of the pushrod to the master.
    I cannot find anything on whether these trucks came with manual brakes.
    ha no the peddle ratio is the main issue. Bore will affect pedal feel but ratio needs to be addressed first. 6.7 should be good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last weekend rained so I did not get much done. I got a full day in today.
    I got the fans installed on the rad, rad hoses are a tight fit.

I got the exhaust done to the mufflers. I used some cats off a challenger. I went with 2.5" with dynomax super turbo mufflers.

I think I will do some wiring tomorrow and maybe cold air intake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Man that looks like a lot of work. I see Princess Auto...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast