Modern Muscle Performance Group

Post Thanks / Like

My latest bad decision

Hey everyone, feels like forever since I've been on here. Back in late January I bought a 73 Jeep J2000 for a couple of hundred $$. No fuel tank, didn't run but supposedly the AMC 258 in it would run fine if I just hooked up a tank. I had no desire to even try that, what I had in mind was to swap in a 5.7 hemi. I had bought an 07 300C from auction a month prior and was fixing it up to flip, but I decided that it was a far better donor car than just sales vehicle. The issue I am running into with my plan though is the transmission. The 5 speed in it works great, but obviously it isn't setup for 4wd. So that leads me to wonder what the best transmission option would be. It currently has a 4 speed stick and I'd like to keep it manual, but I haven't found an adapter to hook the current Borg Warner T18 up to the Hemi and I seriously doubt it would handle the power anyway. The Dana 20 transfer case is the same concern as is the rest of the drivetrain, but I'll work on that once I get it running lol.

I'd like to kick this engine up to somewhere between 400-425 hp at the wheels. I'm pretty sure I could get my hands on a NV4500 that came in the 2500/3500 but I don't know how that would drive. This truck is just going to be a cruiser, no real work done with it so I'd rather have something that didn't have such a low first gear (at least if I read it right). I'd like something that would have a little jump off the line. I'm not looking to race Camaro's and Mustang's or anything but I would like to be able to outrun my boss' new GMC Denali.

I found a couple of forums for old school full size Jeeps where a couple of the members have done a hemi swap, but it looks like they have swapped in auto's which I'm not opposed too I guess, I would just prefer a stick. Thoughts/ideas?

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    well id go automatic and convert to a 2500 drive train? but that'd be alot of work

Post Thanks / Like
    Definitely beyond my experience. Maybe find a Ram donor?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just cut the entire drive line out of the hemi donor and retrofit it in, get a custom length driveshaft at most if length is an issue. If you're just gonna use it as a fun cruiser with no real use (speed or towing) I'd just go that route. Any way you go will be a lot of work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Brew_Crew View Post
    Hey everyone, feels like forever since I've been on here. Back in late January I bought a 73 Jeep J2000 for a couple of hundred $$. No fuel tank, didn't run but supposedly the AMC 258 in it would run fine if I just hooked up a tank. I had no desire to even try that, what I had in mind was to swap in a 5.7 hemi. I had bought an 07 300C from auction a month prior and was fixing it up to flip, but I decided that it was a far better donor car than just sales vehicle. The issue I am running into with my plan though is the transmission. The 5 speed in it works great, but obviously it isn't setup for 4wd. So that leads me to wonder what the best transmission option would be. It currently has a 4 speed stick and I'd like to keep it manual, but I haven't found an adapter to hook the current Borg Warner T18 up to the Hemi and I seriously doubt it would handle the power anyway. The Dana 20 transfer case is the same concern as is the rest of the drivetrain, but I'll work on that once I get it running lol.

I'd like to kick this engine up to somewhere between 400-425 hp at the wheels. I'm pretty sure I could get my hands on a NV4500 that came in the 2500/3500 but I don't know how that would drive. This truck is just going to be a cruiser, no real work done with it so I'd rather have something that didn't have such a low first gear (at least if I read it right). I'd like something that would have a little jump off the line. I'm not looking to race Camaro's and Mustang's or anything but I would like to be able to outrun my boss' new GMC Denali.

I found a couple of forums for old school full size Jeeps where a couple of the members have done a hemi swap, but it looks like they have swapped in auto's which I'm not opposed too I guess, I would just prefer a stick. Thoughts/ideas?

1.jpg
    2.jpg
    4.jpg
    You could try and find a 6 speed from a Challenger. You would have some computer issues to figure out, regardless of what you decide. Looks like a fun project!!

1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto
    1949 International KB2 "Mater" 302/T5

1968 Dodge Dart GTS "The Drat", 340/727

2006 Dodge Magnum R/T the "Wagnum", 5.7/auto

2016 Dodge Durango Limited, 3.6/auto

Oh Drat! Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    So I'm totally a stick car guy period. If you want something that should be able to handle it, convert to an NV-3500. They have the same bolt pattern as the Gen3 Hemis, and will bolt up with not problem.... As for the trans tuning, being an 07, all you will need to do is use HPtuners and turn off the automatic transmission functions controlled by the PCM. This isn't a difficult problem to solve.
    13 Durango R/T
    13 M6 Challenger R/T
    02 M5 Dakota QC Sport
    91 TKO 600 Dakota CC
    63 Dart 3 on da Tree