Modern Muscle Performance Group

Post Thanks / Like

No start on a 2014 Ram 5.7 swap into a jeep SKIM disabled

CKP and CMP are good. Cranks over no problem. The PCM will not command spark or fuel. I got a stand alone harness from a really really horrible place called Swap Specialties. They never sent me my PCM back. It only took them about 6 months to deliver the harness. Which was wrong in a few places. Swap Specialties had the main connector locks backwards, so the 1st used PCM I got fried. It got real hot when I turned the Key on, and obviously let the smoke out. So I had to buy another PCM. It's been a complete disaster of a swap.
    I have gone through the entire harness. Everything checks out now. I got another used PCM and sent it to B and G to have the SKIM disabled. It shows SKIM as "Unkown" in HP Tuners datalogging. I think the PCM will not command "start" until it sees a "start" signal over the CAN. I looked for inputs into the PCM for "crank" etc... Nothing has worked. I have power at the injectors and coils while cranking. The PCM will turn on the ASD relays and fuel pump relay while cranking. I tried changing the options in the PCM with HP tuners. Such as " IGN start over CAN ". It was enabled stock, I changed it to disable, but still no luck.
    My other option is cut my losses, and go with the Hotwire swap PCM. But I'm worried I'll be in the same situation again.
    Or should I just LS swap it? LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Think you in the wrong form bud, but uh, I'd recheck that harness... And don't ram engines use a ecm and bcm and tcm, not a PCM which does everything but trans? Jeeps and etc use the PCM for everything and a tcm for trans... Do part numbers all match what you actually need? I don't know much if anything about this swap

Post Thanks / Like
    What year jeep? I think Hotwire auto specialize in hemi jeep conversions.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Ram does use a BCM and a TCM and a key sense module and a radio freq module. That's what I've seen through the wiring diagrams on the start circuit. I'm not sure if the Ram is classified as a PCM or ECM. The wiring harness is exact. I've compared it to 3 separate diagrams. And all the sensors check out. I get oil pressure while cranking. No codes. I've tried different CKP sensors and CMP sensors. The only thing I can come up with, is that the PCM/ECM will not allow the engine to start until it sees a "start" command. One of the diagrams I got had a "ignition off/run/start control output". I tried putting that signal to the start wire, no luck. I tried grounding it while cranking, no luck. The only thing I can come up with, is that I would need the BCM and radio freq module and key module from the 2014 Ram.
    This jeep had an old magnum 5.9 engine previously. It's a 2000 TJ. I am going with Hotwire now. But that's almost another 2K I'm throwing at this. And they are about 4 weeks out. If I didn't get suckered into Swap Specialties, I would have gone to Hotwire right away. But Swap Specialties assured me this would be no problem. That was around thanksgiving. I was hoping not to lose all the money I've spent on this harness and computers, and Hp license fees and SKIM disable fees.
    It appears that, unless I can feed the PCM/ECM, a CAN signal to "start", it ain't going to work? Or I can do the MSD ignition conversion with a carb? So there are options.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you want the VVT and MDS you will have to stay factory pcm. I guess Swap Specialties is no help which sucks. Have you tried to talk to HP Tuners to see if they know if you just need a module? I know I saw a show with Diablo running a hellcat engine stand alone with factory stuff. They needed the push start button and some other stuff.

There are options if you want to go full stand alone but you need to lock out VVT and disable MDS if its not factory pcm based. Its not cheap to get one of these running outside of what they came in. The carb intakes that fit under a hood do not work well. I don't think carb is cheaper by the time you buy an intake, carb and msd box with harness.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have VVT still with a limiter in it. I put a HHP cam in. I thought about a stand alone management option also. But I'm running the 6 speed auto. So I wasn't about to get into that science fair.
    I ordered the computer and harness kit from Hotwire. Everyone seems to have pleasant things to say about them. Even on posts where they had no start issues. Hotwire addressed the issues from what I can see.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just ordered a module from AJ at hemituner. It is supposed to generate the start signal for the PCM. Hopefully this works. A little expensive on the module, but if it works, it's cheaper than buying a whole other PCM and harness. I'll find out on Friday hopefully.

Post Thanks / Like
    It was the start signal replicator module from AJ @ Hemituner. The Jeep started right up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome! Glad you got it fixed.