Post Thanks / Like

rear wiper help, it's snowing here

The rear wiper blade arm cracked around the bolt and I was thinking to glue it together but never got around to it.

Several days ago I went to the Dodge dealer and picked up a new arm and blade, asking for 2005 model year.

Well, fast forward to tonight I finally decided to swap it as we got nailed with about 8 inches of snow and having a working rear wiper helps to see around.

I undid the bolt and was trying to take the old arm out and it would not nudge. Finally the entire arm broke into two pieces (it already had a crack going through it).

When I try to put the new arm on it will not fit.
    Either it's an updated arm for a newer model motor mount or I have something extra stuck on the "pin" as if the bolt sheered and left another piece still attached.

I tried to turn it with a pair of pliers but no go, all they were doing is stripping the metal.
    I'll post photos later, any thoughts on this?

Post Thanks / Like
    two photos of the new arm and one photo of the old broken arm (notice the same cross hatch on the arm and the mount.
    Thanks for your input

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry I can't post the image from the service manual, but here's the steps:

REAR WIPER ARM - WAGON
    1. Remove the nut cap (2).
    2. Remove the retaining nut (1).
    3. Gently rock the wiper arm from side to side to loosen it from the shaft.
    4. Remove the wiper arm (3).

It looks like when you separated it, that knurled piece should have come off with the wiper arm. Maybe hit it with some WD-40 and then try pulling the knurled piece off. Do you have a pulley puller? If you have one with small small enough pulling arms, maybe you could try that to get it off?
    -Bryan

2006 Charger SRT8: Nitrous Outlet plate w/ 100 shot, Paramount trans and 2800 converter, Getrag 3.91, tuned by Peitz Performance. (11.809 @ 116.15mph)

2014 Durango RT: Road Magnet springs, 2.9L Whipple, Magnaflow cat-back, ARH LT headers, tuned by Peitz Performance (No Updated Time)

Post Thanks / Like
    If there is a round metal piece around the stud, I would break that off as that is from the old wiper that broke. The new one should slide on and tighten it with the nut you have. That's what happen to mine! The old wiper broke off and left a round metal piece on the stud. I broke that metal round piece off and slide the new wiper over the stud and then tighten it with the nut.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool, Cool.
    I'll get a towel to shield the hatch and will try visegrips and pull and turn at the same time to see if this nudges.

Thanks for such a speedy reply!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    you need to remove this part:

i use a nut splitter to remove them.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a dremmel and cut it off. Replaced mine when I was able to move it around.
    05 Magnum Mineral Grey RT Hemi Reg# 00310

Post Thanks / Like
    Changed mine yesterday. Penetrating oil did not help, used a nut splitter after filing a flat and a notch.

Share This Thread