Post Thanks / Like

2008 Magnum SRT8 Stereo sound horrible

I bought a used SRT8 Magnum after wanting one for a long time, and then finding the right one. This one is perfect, low miles, and well cared for. The only weak point is the stereo, it just sounds terrible. This is the model with the subwoofer in the back, it's there and works well. Same with the rest of the speakers, they work well, but there is no mid-range, all low bass and tweeters, everything else is missing. In fact, it's all high range until you add enough power to get the bass to kick in. It sounds like a 70's clock radio with a bass tube! I thought something was broke but a guy at the dealership told me that these were known to have terrible sounding radios. I just can't believe that it would be this bad.

Is there any known issues, or maybe a cross over that's failed? I just don't know anything about this car yet and I don't want to go through 2 years of bad music before figuring it out. I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the whole sound system, GPS, phone, hard drive, everything, and I love that system! I was hoping that I could swap it for one of those but I hear the U Connect makes it impossible to use. Any other suggestions? I live near Austin, TX if anyone knows a good shop. The local Dodge dealer is very good but he doesn't know anything about these radios.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for your time

OffDWall

Post Thanks / Like
    First.... welcome to the group from right around the corner! Post up some pics of that 08!

Sent you a PM, mine has the same horrible stereo!

--Bo

Post Thanks / Like
    I upgraded my 06 SRT from the Boston Ac. base system to the Kicker system. It's probably one of the best oem systems I've heard for that year production car. It wont win any sound off competition awards but for plug and play and under $500 for the upgrade it was well worth it. The 300 SRT has 3 tweeters in the dash, 2 two-way components in the rear deck , 10" sub in the trunk and 2 mid bass in the doors. Is that how the magnum is set up? Being that the sub in the 300C is enclosed vs. the magnum being a wagon, might affect the way the bass sounds. Mine is nice and deep and vocals are extremely clear even at high volumes.

06 SRTC
    - SPC - Hellwig/Police Sways - BC Coils/Swift Springs - Drake FSB - LMI CF CAI - Corsa Extreme - 08+ Black Leather Int. Conv. - 2010 SRT Charger Interior - Hurst - 91 Tune - MTCM - HC 20X9/10 - HC 6 Pot - LED OEM Tail Conv. - Sponh Arms - BT Bling - Chrome Delete -

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, same issue with 06 msrt. I installed the upgraded amp 77kick18 was part number I think. Sounds a bit better but not as happy as I was with my 05 rt with BA system. I am to old to have to crank it just to get some bass response all the time. Even better half says stereo sounds like it's out of an old pontiac safari from the 70's at low volume.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, and here I thought somebody must have jacked with the speakers in the Magnum, because mine sounds crummy too - it's also got the Kicker subwoofer. Seems like all I hear are tinny highs and way disproportionate amount of bass. The factory setup in my 300 sounds so much better, which was surprising.

The Magnum came with option codes REC for the NAV unit, RFE 276 watt Kicker amp, RFZ 100 watt Kicker subwoofer, RGB 11 speaker Kicker high perf audio

The 300 came with option codes RAK for AM/FM/6CD/cassette, RC6 6 Boston Acoustics speakers, RD7 276 watt amp. I swapped the RAK for an REC later.

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    Just to clarify mine has living loud package too. 77kick18ab was the amp swap. Let's you change sound stage a bit with a surround type sound. Better but not great.

Post Thanks / Like
    To the OP. What model of head unit do you have installed? Bottom right of the head unit, 3 small letters. Is it RER or something else? Is the OEM BA amplifier installed? It's by your knee on the drivers side behind the lower panel.
    As a note to all, the parts used in the 300 with a BA system and the REC are identical model for model. The difference is the sub enclosure where the 300 is shelf mounted and the Magnum has an enclosure. The Kicker system has a sub enclosure in booth cases.
    I just installed an RER head unit to replace the REC and think it sounds pretty good. Better than the REC for sure.

inTune 91 CAI, 180 stat, BB 6dB reso delete,Tranzformer, MDS indicator, ESP/BAS switch. Wire mesh grille, smoked and flashing side markers, 9005 2400k 65W fogs, rear fogs, debadged and demolded, 245/45/20 and 295/40/20 Continental DW's on 9"/10" F/R Viper Replicas, BCR Coilovers, Drake strut brace. Interior accent LED 's. 55/35 tint, BT catch can. LED interior lighting. BT bling, front parking sensors. Rear seat heaters. Color matched tails "MoPar" puddle lights. Custom front lip.
    MyGig 730N, Pyle 9.2" screen, iPod, front and rear cams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OffDWall View Post
    I bought a used SRT8 Magnum after wanting one for a long time, and then finding the right one. This one is perfect, low miles, and well cared for. The only weak point is the stereo, it just sounds terrible. This is the model with the subwoofer in the back, it's there and works well. Same with the rest of the speakers, they work well, but there is no mid-range, all low bass and tweeters, everything else is missing. In fact, it's all high range until you add enough power to get the bass to kick in. It sounds like a 70's clock radio with a bass tube! I thought something was broke but a guy at the dealership told me that these were known to have terrible sounding radios. I just can't believe that it would be this bad.

Is there any known issues, or maybe a cross over that's failed? I just don't know anything about this car yet and I don't want to go through 2 years of bad music before figuring it out. I have a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee with the whole sound system, GPS, phone, hard drive, everything, and I love that system! I was hoping that I could swap it for one of those but I hear the U Connect makes it impossible to use. Any other suggestions? I live near Austin, TX if anyone knows a good shop. The local Dodge dealer is very good but he doesn't know anything about these radios.

Any help would be appreciated, and thanks for your time

OffDWall
    I had two BBB SRTs to choose from when I picked mine at the dealer - one with the kicker and nav - one with standrd
    radio/no kicker/no nav.

The standard radio sounded much better than the one with the kicker - which I thought was odd as heck, but the kicker looked a little cheap anyway - plus I don't need a brite nav screen at night
    so I picked the standard radio one.

Fortunately, I don't listen to the radio at all. All my sound is provided by Solo Exhaust.

Way much better mids and bass for my humble opinion - but then, I'm an old fart...

I have other cars with good radios - which are way over rated in an MSRT
    2010 Ford F150
    2009 Lincoln Town Car BB
    2007 MSRT - BB [1 of 20]
    2003 Crown Vic Sport [daily driver] BB now at 400k
    1996 Impala SS BBB
    1972 Chrysler Newport Coupe

www.cardomain.com/id/uwsacf

Post Thanks / Like
    I wanted the NAV, the wife does Real Estate and I didn't want her looking at her phone while driving. The Jeep GPS is fantastic, that's why I am so surprised that the Magnum is junk.

Post Thanks / Like
    There's a generational jump in the GPS unit for LX cars when you compare 2008 to 2011 as well; it's not just the Jeep.

Richard
    06 Silverado ISS / 06 Silverado SS / 06 300C SRT8

Post Thanks / Like
    The sound imaging, for the LX platform is embedded in the cabin amplifier, under the dash. Your choice of OEM head unit won't matter. I've read that people "notice" a difference, but the network isn't configured that way

In the cases where I've helped members upgrade from BA to Kicker, the feedback has been that the BA system is "muddy" and the Kicker system (with OEM subwoofer) is more balanced.

Keep in mind that the curve is calibrated so the subwoofer output gain experiences a "roll off" condition at about 22 and stays flat above 28.

For those who are still not satisfied with the Kicker 77KICK18 amp and Kicker speaker upgrade, I've have some very good feedback, from members, that the Infinity Kappa line fits the bill.

Keep in mind that the front door speakers are MID BASS 6x9's.... not full range... and that ALL the speakers are 2 ohm, each.

The imaging, from the cabin amp, is as follows:

Dash: Highs
    Front Doors: Mid Bass
    Rear 6x9's: Mid Range

Rear Speakers: Right side is out of phase from the left side.

There are no full range speaker outputs, from the cabin amp.

At the cabin amp, there are no RCA outputs. It's all MOLEX connectors and wires. There is a very good wiring diagram, in the OEM service manual, that shows the pair of wires dedicated to the sub output, in the OEM BA and Kicker amps and the upgrade 77KICK18AB amp. Just in case you want to add an aftermarket sub, with OEM bass control.

Hope this info helps those who wish to tweak their systems

Bob
    www.luxte.ch
    Lux Tech
    Last edited by diboblo; 11-11-2015 at 12:47 AM.
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Thanks EXTREME thanked for this post

Share This Thread