Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by coanan View Post
    Can you verify that the dip stick tube is in fact the right one?
    I'm assuming it is, I ordered it from the dealer using the vehicles full VIN number.

Edit: just noticed you mentioned the TUBE, not the actual stick. How can I verify the tube?

Post Thanks / Like
    Just throwing it out there, your original post that caused the "butthurt one" was one that caused me to sit back an go "WOAH, buddies mad".

The fact it is needing so much oil to register full is insane to me, which is why I've been asking. I'll snap some picture but I believe a few years ago when I was playing around with the car I compared photos and it seemed ok. I'll probably be able to upload some pictures tomorrow when I get it on a lift.

The car is an AWD, that I know 100%.I can tell from the sticker on the back saying "Powered By 4x4".

Just kidding, I've had to replace axles in the past. Its an AWD. I'll try to get some oil pan pictures too. The rear main seal I got before from the dealer worked just fine- no issues with it. The cars not leaking oil any longer either.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can see how that would happen, but last time I looked down the tube I didn't see anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just out of curiosity here being that every Hemi uses less oil than you are putting into your car what engine do you think is possibly swapped into your car?
    Thanks SoFlaMagnum thanked for this post
    Likes SoFlaMagnum liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    If you DO have the proper dipstick and it's still not reading full until 8.5 quarts the tube would have to be about one inch too long, keeping the dipstick from reading the proper level.

I have no clue of some tubes were longer or shorter than others across the years/engines/ drivetrains, but someone here does.

We already know 8.5 quarts is exactly 1.5 too many lol

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I was bored. The RWD tube is different from the AWD tube... completely. Different part number, different appearance.

I'd lay odds someone replaced your tube with the RWD one instead of the AWD one thinking "it's a Hemi, they're all the same".

If someone else has an AWD and measured their tube from the block where it goes into the engine to the top of the tube, I'd lay money there's an inch difference over the tube you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 4DoorMuscle View Post
    Just out of curiosity here being that every Hemi uses less oil than you are putting into your car what engine do you think is possibly swapped into your car?
    TBH, at first I thought it was a truck hemi put into it from some nunkyaed or something- until I found out it was done at a dealer and when looking at it, it looked new.

I figured maybe the oil pan would be different in a truck compared to a AWD wagon and mah s that’s making up the fiffeeence, but I don’t think I’d have clearance w the AWD components.

Aftwr seeing all the work this board has done frankenstein’n our cars with 6.1’s and 6.4’s I figured maybe someone modified it, and it’s not stock at all. I did have a problem ordering spark plugs once, but that was solved by just taking part numbers off of old ones. They were champion ofc.

Using the vin number, I’ve ordered about four different engine mounts- but none are right. Last time we did it- we days scrww it and drilled the hole in the one that fit best.

The car flys, has more pickup than another AWD magnum I once test drove for work. As far as the transmission goes, the rear main seal, and the TSB about the water getting in the transmission from the AC worked flawlessly. Most of the transmission shudder I had is gone, and what’s there I only feel when REALLY looking for it. The oil pan gasket didn’t seem to give me an issue, I think we used gasket maker but I don’t remember if there was a part number.

The other dag day I ordered a compressor and it was the right one, so was the water pump. I gotta look to see what differences there are with the dipstick tubes shapes. Everything is pointing to that, because the stock itself is right from the dealer too.

My PipeDream? It’s been modified and someone did it well. My fear? Someone did a garbage ass job and I got myself a well running lemon but with with an all black interior (That I did myself).

Post Thanks / Like
    Those shapes are completely different. Fingers crossed that’s it. Judging by the shape t should be super simple to know which one it is.

Wouldnt all my seals have blown open over over the years? I’ve only ever had a small oil leak from the corner of a valve cover, and it crapped oil everywhere the one time I drove it rough for 5 mins at 125 mph.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you posted pics of the motor or dipstick yet?

I use imgur to post. free and easy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaMagnum View Post
    Those shapes are completely different. Fingers crossed that’s it. Judging by the shape t should be super simple to know which one it is.

Wouldnt all my seals have blown open over over the years? I’ve only ever had a small oil leak from the corner of a valve cover, and it crapped oil everywhere the one time I drove it rough for 5 mins at 125 mph.
    Chances are, you haven't revved it hard enough, long enough to cause a problem. With that much oil it there, it wouldn't want to rev high or hard anyhow lol

I'm hoping that's all it is because it's a simple explanation and an easy fix.

Post Thanks / Like
    If there are two different lengths of dipstick tubes, there would be two different length dipsticks. Is that the case?

Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at that too. Steve White only shows 1 listing and that's for RWD w/o AWD, so evidently yes, there's 2 different ones.

Might just be the wrong dipstick lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005rtmag View Post
    If there are two different lengths of dipstick tubes, there would be two different length dipsticks. Is that the case?
    Both the dipstick that was in the car, and the one ordered at the dealer- were the same length as each other.
    Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SoFlaMagnum View Post

I figured maybe the oil pan would be different in a truck compared to a AWD wagon and mah s that’s making up the fiffeeence, but I don’t think I’d have clearance w the AWD components.

Of course the oil pan on a RAM is completely different than the oil pan on a AWD LX chassis. Heck the oil pan on a AWD Hemi is completely different than a Hemi oil pan on a RWD car. But at the end of the day they all use 7qts of oil. We have all been trying to tell you this all along. There is nothing wrong with your engine. You have been overfilling it due to the wrong dipstick/tube combo someone else put in it. You can do one of two things 1) replace the tube or 2) keep the parts you have, fill the engine with 7qts of oil and scribe a line on your current stick to note where the full point is and top off to that point in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

On the left is a Hemi Rear wheel drive pan and the right is a All Wheel Drive pan. There is a huge difference in the pans but they still are 7qts. The dip stick/tube are different to account for this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast