Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Should I modify a potential Collectors magnum?

I am not normally one to check in before making functional changes to my cars, but I feel this one might be subject to other rules I know nothing of. A little history since I've hung around here for a few years now.

A few years back I found what I thought might be a 1 of 1 scenario Magnum, and it's not an SRT! It was a steel blue 08 RT, Road and Track edition. This was a cool starting point, so then I pulled the build sheet and found it had every single option installed on it, plus several dealer only items. They basically threw the book at it, and when I got to the bottom of the list, it had a show vehicle delivery spot tacked onto the end. Previous owner history was odd, and it showed the first 50k miles or so were not private owner, and it was indeed shown around the circuit, and displayed at dealers in multiple states. I had actually seen this specific car in Michigan back in the 07/08 Winter showcasing the redesign of the 08's.

This brings me to today. I have been bringing it back into the shape it deserves to be in. Tracking down a set of the Chrome clads has been a pain to restore the stock look, but the rest of the small missing bits and worn out pieces has been relatively simple. She has some miles on it at this point, and I wanted to give the next round of repairs and service some longevity.

With a small crack having developed in the radiator, and the front end being what a 10 year old RT front end would be; where would feelings lie on bolt on replacement parts being upgraded? I have no intention on permanent mods to the sheet metal or interior, but I really wanted to bump up the handling and cooling systems under the skin. I did Hellcat Brembo's on the SRT this past summer, and it was the single best mod I have ever done to a car for the steal of a price i got the whole set for. Swapping the spindles to the new gen with the brakes also gave me a leftover set of SRT parts.

If i keep all the old gear, and can still get stock parts like a radiator, wouldn't it be completely reasonable to keep her cooler with an upgraded rad, and better spindles, brakes and suspension from SRT bolt on's?

In the end, I could always restore to 100% stock if i keep parts on hand. I just felt odd at the thought of messing with a potential 1 of 1, even if it was just to keep it in good running shape.

(this is the part where someone chimes in and says it isn't that special a car, and just get after it)

(and don't worry, I am keeping both my original 07 SRT and this 08 RT. His and Hers!)

Bone stock time: 12.832 @ 108.51 with a 2.033 60ft... On GY F1's Full Weight
    Predator and C&L Intake: 12.386 @ 111.78 1.868 60ft On GY F1's Full Weight
    Current mods: Hi-Flows, 180. Volant, PS Cooler, Trans Cooler, SS Brake Lines, B&B exhaust.
    Pedders Track II Extreme, Wavetrac, Moroso oil pan/catch can, 6.1 MTCM, Mopar trailer hitch.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I ordered my 2008 RT, I debated about ordering the Road and Track option. I can’t remember the exact cost, but it was an expensive option ($2700?). You were basically getting a SRT with the 5.7L. I decided against it and skipped the sunroof but got most remaining options including Nav and HID’s. I even got the curtain airbags (the only year where both side and curtain airbags were offered). Of the less than 900 RT’s with RWD in 2008, I’m guessing less than 200 were optioned like mine. The RT’s with the Road and Track package must only be in the dozens. If it was low miles, I’d say keep it bone stock. With some miles on it, it’s fine to bolt on some upgrades as long as they could easily be removed.
    Last edited by SteveFoy; 01-12-2019 at 05:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't tell you what the smart thing would be, but I can tell you what I'd do. Gears, tune. Easily reversible, doesn't pop the motor open.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona TorRed #1354, SRT Heads/Intake - ARH Long Tubes - Spartan Plus Cam - Magnaflow - 3.91s - 411rwhp/410rwtq
    Acceleration video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLey...aubWU9N6ezVy7g

I detail cars in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area! 757-435-4027

Likes Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike!! How you and the family been?

I say, upgrade the suspension to make it handle like you want as I don't feel that would detract from the value. I put SPC adjustable upper arms on Michelle's old Charger and I have them on mine and they've held up well.
    2006 Charger Brilliant Black R/T w/R&T Package, 6.1 Arrington based 426 Hemi @ 13:1 compression 2016 Hellcat Charger rear cradle and brakes swap, DSS 4" custom driveshaft, 3.09 Scat Pack rear diff.

Post Thanks / Like
    Build it the way you want. Why sacrifice enjoyment/ ride quality for a potential it'll be worth something 30+ years from now. I do not think sheet metal used now now a days will let cars become collectable.
    Likes Jay Z, Hemissary liked this post

Streetsville (Mississauga, Ontario, Canada)
    Post Thanks / Like
    How do dealer installed items make a Collector car? And what are we talking about?

2007 R/T R&T - Gone

2010 SRT8 - Sold

2015 SRT 392 - RIP

2016 SRT 392 - AFE Momentum GT Intake, SOLO Performance Exhaust, 20% Tint, Black Carbon Fiber Racing Stripes, tinted tails, Oracle LED sidemarkers, BT catchcan and underhood bling, Mopar Strut Brace, Rennen Forged RL-55x wheels, Nitto NT555 G2 tires

Do you even lift? www.iron-sanctuary.com/forums
    Thanks TNCHARGER thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In my opinion you answered it yourself: these aren't ultra rare exotics or classics, build it the way you want and and hold on to the parts in case you feel like switching it back later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2006 Dodge Magnum R/T: K&N CAI, SRT headers, Magnaflow 3" cat-back, 180 degree t-stat, Diablo Trinity T1000, 300 SRT rims.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to see you post Mike! Reasonable mods, enjoy her and keep the stock parts on hand.
    15 Grand Cherokee SRT: Staying Stock!!!

05 Magnum RT:
    5.7 Personal Best: Heads, Cam and Spray - 11.46 w 1.59 60'

6.1 Personal Best: Forged, Novi 1500 and Spray - 10.405 1.566 60' @ 129.69
    7.4 Personal Best: Aluminum 449 - 10.736 ET , 1.589 60', 125.05 MPH NA
    7.0 Personal Best: Iron 426 - Whipple 2.9 - 10.5 @ 132 1.6x 60' . . just getting started

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Mike :^)

I take it the (red Mag) pic in your sig is still in-play? If so, then you can afford to leave the blue one unmolested. If the Steel Blue has replaced it, do what wish that can still allow you to reverse and replace with the original parts that you've stored.

However; given the sales volumes of all platforms since 04' and where emissions, non-renewable resources and public opinion of what "might" have value outside of a Demon that has never turned a mile...it ain't any of our rides that are going to see a worthwhile return. Times are a-changing much quicker than anyone wants to admit.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Thanks TNCHARGER thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I’m curious to know what options it has. Especially dealer options. My 06 Charger has every option expect the road and track.
    2006 Dodge Charger R/T - 85mm Throttle Body, AFE Stage 2 CAI, 6.1 Intake Manifold, Modern Muscle Intake Adapters, 219/223 cam, 6.1 pushrods, Manley NEXTEK Valve Springs, 6.1 Timing Chain, 6.1 oil pump, Edelbrock Titech Headers, Flowmasters X pipe, Thrush 2 Chamber Mufflers, Flowmaster Resonators and tailpipes, 3200 Edge Converter, Mopar TCM, Tranzformer, Carbon Fiber Pistol Grip Shifter, 3.06, Brake Performance drilled and slotted rotors.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is no way to predict the future collectible value of a Magnum. Use the "tri-5" Chevys as an example. In 1967, a "57" was just an old car with only the Bel-Air having any useful value, around $1,000. Times change, so is there a "pineing" for Magnums, will there be? I know I have talked to many people who wished they had bought one.

So to the absurd, check out the value of this 57 Chevy 150 post, 6 cyl. 3 speed, AM radio.

1957 CHEVROLET 150 2 DOOR SEDAN

YMMV

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input everyone. Good to see a lot of you still hanging around. Cracking the suspension links free this morning to give it a proper ride and stance. I was over thinking this. Just because I absolutely love these cars doesn't mean the market for them does. Still a weird feeling driving a bone stock RT. I should be able to get everything up to date in time for spring.

Current mods: Hi-Flows, 180. Volant, PS Cooler, Trans Cooler, SS Brake Lines, B&B exhaust.
    Pedders Track II Extreme, Wavetrac, Moroso oil pan/catch can, 6.1 MTCM, Mopar trailer hitch.
    Likes troper liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I'd leave the suspension alone. Nothing like taking a rare car (even if it isn't super desirable right now) and lowering it so all the bushings wear out and the underbody is scraped up all to hell.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Scat Pack Forums mobile app
    2006 Dodge Charger Daytona TorRed #1354, SRT Heads/Intake - ARH Long Tubes - Spartan Plus Cam - Magnaflow - 3.91s - 411rwhp/410rwtq
    Acceleration video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLey...aubWU9N6ezVy7g

I detail cars in the Virginia Beach/Norfolk area! 757-435-4027

Thanks troper thanked for this post
    Likes troper liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Beach Goat View Post
    Personally, I'd leave the suspension alone. Nothing like taking a rare car (even if it isn't super desirable right now) and lowering it so all the bushings wear out and the underbody is scraped up all to hell.
    It's not going super low or anything. I just have a bunch of SRT parts sitting around. The upgraded spindles will let me use the Brembo's and open up the wheel selection to stuff I already have at the house. Geometry should stay pretty close with only a small drop. I'll work my way through the bushings anyway over the course of the year as time and budget allows to replace with stock. Quite a few pieces of plastic and misc pieces that are worn or cracked at this point, so I'll be taking my time and just picking away at it all. Next step is picking a radiator. Not sure if i should just leave it alone and do a stock part number, or bump up to a high capacity model.

Post Thanks / Like
    Like everyone said, I would agree that if its not super low miles do whatever you want to it! Sounds like you have a lot of good parts to go on it already.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast