Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't say anything... I know it took longer than I would have hoped, Like I said... Most of the time I spent on those things were wasted hours because I went to the store to get a pickle fork when the hammer didn't work, Than back to the store to get the pitman arm puller that snapped. I then went with the torch and hammer because everything was closed and out of pure anger wanted those things off so I could finish installing the rest of the parts.

When I dropped it again yesterday I more or less bled what fluid was in the Rack out by checking the center all of the fluid came out going from one side to the other. After reinstalling it I really took my time turning the steering wheel before driving it for about an hour. The sound I hear sounds almost like what the power steering makes when you reach the far point of turning and stops. But this noise starts 3 quarters into turning left, When I dropped the rack and looked at it again you would know if it was un-centered because the spine on the rack can only go into the steering shaft 1 way, If it's flipped it won't go in the slot. I even measured both tie rod ends to make sure they were even that way.

Like I said... I appreciate any and all advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005rtmag View Post
    Some useless information maybe. I've been watching repair videos made by South Main Auto Repair in NY. In one of them Eric the mechanic said on one car he had to replace a steering rack 5 times to get a good one. He was buying cardone racks from the local Advance I think.
    Dude that's not useless info at all... It honestly feels like the only thing left! I didn't and will never buy a cardone product but all Rack and Pinions are going to be remanufactured. I bought mine from Detroit Axle due to it having a lifetime warranty, If I narrow this thing down to that being the only issue I just need to wait for my paperwork to come through and I'll tell them they need to swap it.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I replaced the tie rods in my Magnum, I couldn't find a shop to do a front end alignment quick enough since I was driving it on vacation. So, I reverted to one of my old redneck methods. I put two straight boards against the front tires and put a weight on them to hold them tight against the tires. then i measured across the boards in front of and in back of the tires and adjusted them to within 0 and 1/16". I also counted the number of rotations on the tie rod ends and installed them the same but the alignment was way off. I rechecked it several times and it checked the same each time when I was finished. I drove it up some ramps to adjust the tie rod ends and drove it back and forth a few times to let the suspension settle after adjusting each time. It took some time and patience but I'm confident I got the toe-in correct.
    Likes chrismah liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12