Post Thanks / Like

Thinking about Suspension

Hi,

Nearing 100k km (62k mi), I'm starting to think about my stock suspension. Outer tie rods have play, so I may do those at the same time. If I upgrade the shocks to SRT will I need to change the springs? I'm not really interested in lowering, but I think I can tolerate an inch drop. I also have a Borla catback that I want to install, so I don't want to scrape that.

Side Note: Driver side flex joint is broken and has play, so I will need to check in with a muffler shop for that.

Thanks.
    2006 MRT, Blaze Red Crystal Pearl (PRH), Upgraded Rear Police Brakes, Mopar Police Wheels with Continental ContiPureContact, Stock Rims with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80, Danko Predator Grille, BT Catch Can, LMI AirHammer, EGR disabled, 91 tune, H8 battery (AC Delco 49AGM).

Post Thanks / Like
    Along the same lines... if I upgrade to the Gen 1 SRT suspension, do I need to change the knuckles?

Thanks.
    2006 MRT, Blaze Red Crystal Pearl (PRH), Upgraded Rear Police Brakes, Mopar Police Wheels with Continental ContiPureContact, Stock Rims with Bridgestone Blizzak WS-80, Danko Predator Grille, BT Catch Can, LMI AirHammer, EGR disabled, 91 tune, H8 battery (AC Delco 49AGM).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismah View Post
    Along the same lines... if I upgrade to the Gen 1 SRT suspension, do I need to change the knuckles?

Thanks.
    No need for new knuckles.

Front springs... no.

Rear springs... if you go with the B6 SACHS NIVOMAT... yes. These are load leveling shocks and rely on the proper spring rate to get the job done.

One caveat on springs... if you have upwards of 100k on the car, you might want to do springs, as well. That's about the point both of my Gen1 cars needed springs, due to sagging, especially the front.

Also, slide the boots off the steering rack and check the play of the inner tie rod ends. MOOG makes some very nice replacements.

Download your Gen1 workshop manual below, as well as your parts book. You should be able to find the flex joint, there.

Maintenance, Service, and Parts Manuals | Chrysler 300 - Dodge Charger, Magnum, and Challenger

Hope this helps.

Bob
    LuX Technologies - Custom Interior Light Mods for Chrysler / Dodge / Jeep Platforms [LX/LC/WK]
    Last edited by diboblo; 05-05-2019 at 09:54 AM.
    I spend my time modding your lights and developing new products, not being your FaceBook friend.

http://www.luxte.ch
    Lux Technologies

Thanks chrismah thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    May as well change all 4 tie rod ends so you won't be doing it again soon. I recently replace my car's tie rod ends but I need to check everything else because it has 114k miles on it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005rtmag View Post
    May as well change all 4 tie rod ends so you won't be doing it again soon. I recently replace my car's tie rod ends but I need to check everything else because it has 114k miles on it.
    Agreed. I'm leaning towards changing all 4 tie rod ends. When I got the car 2 years ago, I had the outer tie rods replaced. There was a little bit of play on the inner tie rods, but I was told it was safe to drive. Well, I put 17k km (10k mi) on the rods and the outers have play again. How annoying... so this time I'm definitely doing the inners and outers. But, I'm not entirely sure if this is the cause for the play with the outer tie rods, so I was looking into suspension as well.

Side note: The receipt for the outer tie rods stated it was for AWD, so no sure if that had something to do with it as well. They were Moog outer tie rods.

Thanks.
    Last edited by chrismah; 05-06-2019 at 06:37 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I just put SRT front shocks and springs from a CSRT and it did almost nothing to lower the front end. I think it came down about 1/4 to 1/2".
    The upside is that I think I needed front shocks anyway and I got a great deal on a set of used.
    I don't know why everybody wants these to lower their car. I know you said you weren't looking to lower your car, but people do.
    2005 Cool Vanilla Magnum R/T
    20" 2008 SRT Alcoa wheels
    Front SRT shocks/springs
    245/45/20 Firestone Wide Oval, Front Brembo Conversion
    K&N CAI, Diablosport InTune
    MSD Blaster Coil Kit, 6 Disc RAQ Radio

Post Thanks / Like
    The cars look better lowered. I've done Pedders Track II SYSTEM, and Megan adjustable.

The Pedders rode well, but just a bit too low.
    The Megans were adjustable height and set the ride height just right, but the ride is too firm for a DD with a Pedders Track II bushing setup still in the car.

Both corner very well.
    Adaptive Craving Control-by Hal9000 modification strictly prohibited
    FI IV.5, Solo cat backs, 180 thermo, Catch Can, DS tuner, 383 Stroker/SRT heads,headers and mids,, Tranny cooler with fan control, built tranny/flex plate/4K conv,09 Chally rear with Quaife posi. Pedders Track II, coil overs, Hodgkiss sways, BWoody links, 20" Jacks N Five with Nitto Invo's, Custom brakes by TCE. Bling by BT.
    Just a grocery getter!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismah View Post
    Agreed. I'm leaning towards changing all 4 tie rod ends. When I got the car 2 years ago, I had the outer tie rods replaced. There was a little bit of play on the inner tie rods, but I was told it was safe to drive. Well, I put 17k km (10k mi) on the rods and the outers have play again. How annoying... so this time I'm definitely doing the inners and outers. But, I'm not entirely sure if this is the cause for the play with the outer tie rods, so I was looking into suspension as well.

Side note: The receipt for the outer tie rods stated it was for AWD, so no sure if that had something to do with it as well. They were Moog outer tie rods.

Thanks.
    Are these the correct Moog part #s for the tie rod ends? Got an R/T, RWD, non-Police. Rockauto and MOOG sites are consistent, but I just want to cover my bases from someone who's actually installed the parts.

Inner Tie Rod: EV80702
    Outer Tie Rod: ES3571

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Those are the parts I ordered.
    Front SRT shocks/springs

Post Thanks / Like
    I should let you know that I have had to replace them already after about 2 years.
    Front SRT shocks/springs

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by classicr View Post
    I should let you know that I have had to replace them already after about 2 years.
    Ouch... Maybe I should learn to do it myself... lol... How many miles did you put on them?

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know exactly, maybe 12,000.
    It is not hard to replace them yourself. It will save you a few hundred dollars. Both the dealer and Firestone wanted over $400 just to replace my outer tie rod. I replaced my passenger side outer tie rod in about 45 minutes the other week.
    You will need an alignment afterward, of course. If you are going to keep the car for a few years I would recommend Firestone for their life time alignment.
    I do not work for Firestone.
    Front SRT shocks/springs