Post Thanks / Like

5.7 top end swap

Hello all. Looking for some advice from folks that are more familiar with this.
    Im looking to spice up things under the hood of my 05 Mag. Intake, cam, head work. I wanted to forge the bottom end but budget wont allow that. My question is this: im looking at a 392 intake with all of the electronics needed to make the work. Use 6.1 heads to run the compression up, as it will stay NA. And use a 392 cam. I'd love a choppy cam, mainly for sound. Cmon, thats why most of us do it. But, i want to maintain the driveability and reliability of the engine, so im opting for the 392 cam.
    What all am i looking at in this swap? Would it be better to rebuild and deck the factory 5.7 heads? Would it be better to port the factory intake? Any help is appreciated

This was posted in another place until i realized that. Trying to get the other post down lol

Post Thanks / Like
    You won’t be able to use the 392 cam
    you have plenty of cam choices to pick from
    comp268
    srtmax and a few others from Stu
    as for the heads of you can find 6.1 heads without paying out the rear , or the eagle heads are another good choice.
    Best person to would be Dave Weber at modern muscle
    2017 Ram 3500 Cummins Laramie gdp tuned
    2019 Challenger Scatpack Widebody Procharged P1x
    2008 Charger R/T sold CAM ONLY RECORD HOLDER 12.34 @108.89 & 1.66 60'

Email mailed tuned by Brent@dtpracing.comComp268cam,
    Likes md20twenty liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The 392 cam, cant use it because of the VVT? Ive heard of others doing it, so was just curious. And if using the 392 intake, would i still have to use adpaters for the 6.1 heads? Seems like an adapter would negate any gained flow by changing the flow characteristics. Asking not debating.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedroassblaster View Post
    The 392 cam, cant use it because of the VVT? Ive heard of others doing it, so was just curious. And if using the 392 intake, would i still have to use adpaters for the 6.1 heads? Seems like an adapter would negate any gained flow by changing the flow characteristics. Asking not debating.
    Why go through all the trouble putting a cam in when there are better aftermarket cams for the 05-08 hemis , if your going to 6.1 or eagle heads you won’t need the spacers and trust me even if you kept your 5.7 heads you can either have them port matched or run the spacers (been there done that with my 08 (don’t be fooled the 5.7 isn’t a slouch )
    2017 Ram 3500 Cummins Laramie gdp tuned
    2019 Challenger Scatpack Widebody Procharged P1x
    2008 Charger R/T sold CAM ONLY RECORD HOLDER 12.34 @108.89 & 1.66 60'

Email mailed tuned by Brent@dtpracing.comComp268cam,

Post Thanks / Like
    No, the cams are not physically interchangeable. You've heard of people putting 392 cams in EAGLE 5.7's.

Your cam:

VVT cam:

You CAN use 392 intake on 6.1 heads, it's not that you need adapters per se, you need SPACERS. They lift the intake high enough to clear where the coolant temp sensor is mounted up front (still use the same size port and it's a straight shot). 6.1 intake doesn't have this problem because it's taller, but the later VVT intakes do because they sit lower. The temp sensor was moved to accommodate.
    Likes md20twenty, Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by moparmike610 View Post
    You won’t be able to use the 392 cam
    you have plenty of cam choices to pick from
    comp268
    srtmax and a few others from Stu
    as for the heads of you can find 6.1 heads without paying out the rear , or the eagle heads are another good choice.
    Best person to would be Dave Weber at modern muscle

Dave built my motor, non vvt 5.7 with 6.1 heads and I love it.. He spec'd a camshaft for my application. He really knows his stuff.
    2005 300C
    MMPG 6.1 Heads, Custom Cam, MMPG 87mm TB
    C&L Intake, Tranzformer, Moroso Catch Can
    Richmond 3.55 , Quaife LSD , Getrag 3.06 LSD, 226mm upgrade
    API Tuned
    DSS 2-Piece Chromoly DS
    B&C Coilovers, Speedlogix Adjustable Billet Rear Control Arms
    SRT-8 Replica 20x9 Wheels
    400whp/399wtq
    Likes moparmike610 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats the route ive gone, the 6.1. I came across a fresh set of 6.1 heads and intake. Bought a comp 273 with it, but i think thats gonna be too agressive for a daily driver, imo. I dont know, im jot that familiar with anyone running it daily or on long trips. So ill have a 5.7 intake and heads to sit on a shelf soon. @md20twenty, what stall are you running? I didnt want a cam so big i needed one.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may part out a nice 6.1 stroker 392 I have if I find enough people to buy it all that way. The parts were all new before going to BES racing to be built. Never run. Heads are ported; intake is ported; heads have PSI springs, titanium retainers. Have not come up with a price, but can do so after the weekend. PM me if you're interested.
    'Cuda SRT8

My Mopars:
    '69 'Cuda FB with MP Hellcrate, a TKO600 and S60 Dana
    '15 Jeep Grand Chickeree in Maximum Steel
    '19 Challenger Hellcat
    RED EYE in B5 Blue (797h.p.)
    '19 Ram 1500 4x4 Hydro Edition (5.7 Hemi)
    "Three Hemis; no waiting"

Post Thanks / Like
    @cuda srt8, had i literally not just paid for the heads, intake and cam i mentioned, id be all over that!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thats the route ive gone, the 6.1. I came across a fresh set of 6.1 heads and intake. Bought a comp 273 with it, but i think thats gonna be too agressive for a daily driver, imo. I dont know, im jot that familiar with anyone running it daily or on long trips. So ill have a 5.7 intake and heads to sit on a shelf soon. @md20twenty, what stall are you running? I didnt want a cam so big i needed one.
    I'm still running the stock converter.. It's not bad with the cam he put in it..

Capture.jpg
    2005 300C
    MMPG 6.1 Heads, Custom Cam, MMPG 87mm TB
    C&L Intake, Tranzformer, Moroso Catch Can
    Richmond 3.55 , Quaife LSD , Getrag 3.06 LSD, 226mm upgrade
    API Tuned
    DSS 2-Piece Chromoly DS
    B&C Coilovers, Speedlogix Adjustable Billet Rear Control Arms
    SRT-8 Replica 20x9 Wheels
    400whp/399wtq

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm curious how this project is going, or how it turned out. I am about to do a nearly identical setup on my 5.7 pursuit magnum. I have the 6.1 heads, .51head gaskets, lifters, pushrods and hardware for the heads, but I would like to know what else I need to get to fit all this together. Is there a writeup on this somewhere?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Neon, sounds like you have what you need short of the cam. I'd probably swap out the timing tensioner for a 6.1 unit. Did you get custom pushrods for the 0.051" head gaskets? Which intake are you going to? 6.1, 6.4 or eagle?
    Six Offenderl and builder of the finest Fiat Hemi stroker engines.