Post Thanks / Like

A continuing venture with more questions...

hello all!

You guys have been with me now going on 2 years through my repair venture on my 2005 Dodge Magnum RT. This has become a learning experience and sometimes a headache. I will say that if it wasn't for the amount of fascination with this car and the love I have for it, I wouldn't be throwing all the money I have been putting into it. From two engine swaps, complete suspension and steering change and other things, this has been a project for sure.

My newest experience comes with this question. I have been having the throttle body light popping up and it seems to be in limp mode (doesn't rev up but will have a very rough idle). I have replaced the accelerator pedal and the throttle body, done a tune up and all that. Before I did the throttle body swap it ran for two days. My assumption was because of the tune up done. The APPS sensor was changed due to a trip to Dodge doing a diag and finding this issue out. Two days, ran great and then the throttle body light throws. After swapping the throttle body it started up first try. After that it went back to the same situation. And before anyone asks, yes I used my program tool to relearn both the APPS and the throttle body.

I'm at a loss of knowledge now, and it seems that there isn't much info I can find on it. Any ideas? Has anyone had this issue and what have you done to fix this? I'm starting to think it may be a PCM issue but don't want to go that route yet as I'd have to send a new one out to get programmed without the MDS again.

Let's hear it guys!

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you read the related test procedures in the Factory Service Manuals we have the luxury of downloading here at LX? If so, have you followed them all - to the letter?
    Last edited by Hemissary; 08-01-2020 at 08:25 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing I am adamant about is following procedure. I followed the process as stated in the manual, thankfully I was able to download it. I am a newbie when it comes to this as I'm no mechanic for sure. Im just trying to save myself thousands by doing it myself instead of taking it to a shop. The Snap-On Modis I have was very cookie cutter in its approach with it so that was nice.

I figured coming here would be a nice help from people who have been down the same road or have more experience than I do at these cars. My day job is computer programming and PLC work, so the car is a hobby that helps me escape the mundane. I do apologize if I come off an idiot with my post, just trying to learn as much as possible.

One thing to add to it is that after doing the relearn with the new throttle body and the APPS, everything checked out on the Modis and passed. Everything read out the way it said in the manual. My mechanic friend said it could be the seal that goes to the EGR so that was going to be my next route but it is one step at a time really.
    Last edited by Gundy613; 07-30-2020 at 09:14 PM.
    Likes Hemissary, KYUUBI liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Which dash annunciator specifically?
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Which dash annunciator specifically?
    The Electronic Throttle Control light is the one that is flashing when starting or trying to start.

Sorry for the delayed response, my first day off after 14 days of 12hr shifts.

Post Thanks / Like
    K, what DTCs are present?

Not sure I understand; the Dealership replace a throttle position sensor...and you replaced the accelerator pedal?

What throttle body "relearn" are you referring to - especially as it relates to a different throttle body?

Post Thanks / Like
    The only DTCs I currently have are for an incorrect gear ratio which is one that has been on it since I got the car. This is planned to be fixed as soon as I get the car running and get it to the transmission shop.

The dealership didn't install anything, all they did was run a full diagnostic on it when I took it in a few months back to get the airbag replaced due to a recall. When they did a diagnostic check, they told me that the APPS sensor was bad and needed replaced.

As for the relearn, I did the ETC relearn as directed during the process in the service manual.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Gundy. Welcome to LX Forums. What wheels and tires are on it? Stock are 225 18, but I do not recall any issues from wheel and tire changes. Sometimes a swap to a SRT rear end that changes from a 282 to a 306 rear end. That will cause incorrect gear ratio, because it is. Diablo tuners had a way to set it right. However, it's more likely a sensor issue than a rear end swap. Ohio is in the rust belt, so it may be visually evident if the rear end was swapped out.Wishing you luck. Don't give up, It's the coolest wagon ever built!
    Adaptive Craving Control-by Hal9000 modification strictly prohibited
    FI IV.5, Solo cat backs, 180 thermo, Catch Can, DS tuner, 383 Stroker/SRT heads,headers and mids,, Tranny cooler with fan control, built tranny/flex plate/4K conv,09 Chally rear with Quaife posi. Pedders Track II, coil overs, Hodgkiss sways, BWoody links, 20" Jacks N Five with Nitto Invo's, Custom brakes by TCE. Bling by BT.
    Just a grocery getter!
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gundy613 View Post
    The only DTCs I currently have are for an incorrect gear ratio which is one that has been on it since I got the car. This is planned to be fixed as soon as I get the car running and get it to the transmission shop.

The dealership didn't install anything, all they did was run a full diagnostic on it when I took it in a few months back to get the airbag replaced due to a recall. When they did a diagnostic check, they told me that the APPS sensor was bad and needed replaced.

As for the relearn, I did the ETC relearn as directed during the process in the service manual.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hal'sMag View Post
    Hi Gundy. Welcome to LX Forums. What wheels and tires are on it? Stock are 225 18, but I do not recall any issues from wheel and tire changes. Sometimes a swap to a SRT rear end that changes from a 282 to a 306 rear end. That will cause incorrect gear ratio, because it is. Diablo tuners had a way to set it right. However, it's more likely a sensor issue than a rear end swap. Ohio is in the rust belt, so it may be visually evident if the rear end was swapped out.Wishing you luck. Don't give up, It's the coolest wagon ever built!
    Agreed; a DTC will be set pointing to which wheel sensor is failing / failed. This will put the car in limp mode as well.

It however does not explain a rough-running engine.

Another question would be; was the differential changed at any point?

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed; a DTC will be set pointing to which wheel sensor is failing / failed. This will put the car in limp mode as well.

It however does not explain a rough-running engine.

Another question would be; was the differential changed at any point?
    The rear diff was worked on, but nothing was changed. It had a small leak when I bought it and that was one of the first fixes done. As for the wheel size, im running 225/60ZR18. When I bought it, the previous owner had 17s on it and also put 22s on it prior to that. I put the original tire size, not staggered either. Tomorrow I'm having one of the mechanics from the garage I frequent come over with his more advanced diag to help troubleshoot. They have seen the car once and they have had my work vehicle in there multiple times for routine maintenance. With how busy I am at work, they know that I love working on it but bringing it into them is an option.

I dont think it would be a wheel sensor considering I bought the rims and wheels new a year ago but that could possibly be a thing.

And with the rough idle without being able to rev the engine, the ETC light without any codes outside the gear ratio code, and the fact that the previous owner didn't know how to take care of the car puts this a constant learning curve.

Post Thanks / Like
    The rear diff was worked on, but nothing was changed. It had a small leak when I bought it and that was one of the first fixes done. As for the wheel size, im running 225/60ZR18. When I bought it, the previous owner had 17s on it and also put 22s on it prior to that. I put the original tire size, not staggered either. Tomorrow I'm having one of the mechanics from the garage I frequent come over with his more advanced diag to help troubleshoot. They have seen the car once and they have had my work vehicle in there multiple times for routine maintenance. With how busy I am at work, they know that I love working on it but bringing it into them is an option.

I dont think it would be a wheel sensor considering I bought the rims and wheels new a year ago but that could possibly be a thing.

And with the rough idle without being able to rev the engine, the ETC light without any codes outside the gear ratio code, and the fact that the previous owner didn't know how to take care of the car puts this a constant learning curve.

Same size tire diameters at all four corners rule that out as being an issue.

The sensors I'm referring to are wheel speed / ABS sensors. You can trace an electrical lead (black / shiny Zytel tough coating) from the inner fenderwell area to the speed sensing H/W (I believe you are referring to tire pressure sensors). BTW; a failing wheel speed sensor can point to a specific wheel or be a general DTC.

You should confirm though the gear ratio is correct for your platform (2.82:1).

Last edited by Hemissary; 08-03-2020 at 09:50 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Same size tire diameters at all four corners rule that out as being an issue.

The sensors I'm referring to are wheel speed / ABS sensors. You can trace an electrical lead (black / shiny Zytel tough coating) from the inner fenderwell area to the speed sensing H/W (I believe you are referring to tire pressure sensors). BTW; a failing wheel speed sensor can point to a specific wheel or be a general DTC.

You should confirm though the gear ratio is correct for your platform (2.82:1).

Sorry about that i was extremely tired last night lol. I will have to take a look at that. Would these cause the ETC light to flash and cause the issue previously stated?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry about that i was extremely tired last night lol. I will have to take a look at that. Would these cause the ETC light to flash and cause the issue previously stated?
    ETC - not likely, that is a separate issue.

But, what precisely is the DTC that was / is set?
    Last edited by Hemissary; 08-04-2020 at 12:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    P0730

Post Thanks / Like
    K, generic code, which could mean many things. If it were me:
    - check all four wheel sensors and tone rings for damage, if determined operational,
    - Check transmission fluid level - properly (need an OBDII device and the temperature chart), if properly full,
    - Transmission internals; namely the valve body --> solenoids --> shift valves (worn or stuck)