Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Changing your oil for first-timers *

For those that have yet to change their oil for the first time. I know that I like to know what to expect before doing a job, and I couldn't find any photos anywhere, so here you go (for those that are interested)...

First, get her up in the air. I use the poly Rhino Ramps. Strong, and no air-dam contact issues.

This is the belly pan you have to remove. I thought it was smaller, but it covers the whole bottom of the engine. 10mm will remove the four bolts.

Pan removed.

Drain plug location. I didn't install a Fumoto valve (do a search) this time, but I will the next. I wanted to see how this looked before doing so. No problem if the valve sticks out, as the plug is almost horizontal. 13mm wrench.

WARNING - When you remove the plug, the oil will shoot out a foot or more. Put the drain pan way back! Yet another reason a Fumoto valve and hose is so cool.

Oil filter location.

Removing filter. Note: See the orange Wal-Mart special filter wrench I have. Fits great, but it WILL NOT remove the tight stock filter. The socket square rounded off! Luckily, I had a metal one that I use on my truck. The metal one got it off, but it was tight. My metal filter wrench said "Cal-Van 791"

Oil filter manifold

Here was the fun part. After all was finished I was putting the belly pan back on. The last bolt would not thread. Well guess what, the clip thingy that the bolt threads into was gone. I felt into the hole and it was up in the crossmember! Figuring I must have knocked it up in there when removing the pan I fished it out with my magnet. Well, it was broken! I'll replace it at next change. I held it in place with my finger and installed that bolt. Luckily there was enough "tab" left to keep it from spinning. Great job Chrysler! These clips are really fitting to a $30,000+ vehicle!

Overall, quick job. Given the filter orientation, you can fill it before installing it. That's cool.

I did find a lot of this information on what wrench sizes to use, how much oil to use, and that the filter would be tight via other posts on this forum. Thanks to all that contributed that!

Pat
    Last edited by Displaced Hokie; 11-21-2007 at 10:43 PM. Reason: Added info on how the oil will shoot out. And what ramps I use.
    Displaced Hokie
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T
    Thanks dresdens08, scarnicom, fnkychkn thanked for this post
    Likes dresdens08 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good thread. That oil filter sure is a biotch to remove the first time around. I tried it today for the first time on my Dodge Ram and that factory-installed filter was even worse than the Magnum's.

I also posted some pictures for anyone interested:

http://www.lxforums.com/board/showthread.php?t=7909

-- Tommy

My other rides:
    1995 Chevrolet Impala SS . . . 260 HP / 330 lb-ft . . . all stock
    2005 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT . . .Hemi-powered Lone Star Edition

Inferno Red RT ordered 7/12/2004 . . . gave up on it for a Cool Vanilla RT.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is it the same size bolts for the 3.5 SXT? I am changing the oil today and like you just want to know what I'm getting into. Thanks Hokie....Hook 'Em Horns

Post Thanks / Like
    When you pull the drain plug make sure the catch pan is offset to the rear of the car as much as it can and still cover directly under the plug. The oil comes out with some velocity. I had my pan centered under the plug (i am use to a plug that points down not sideways) and when I pulled it the stream of oil cleared the pan and straight on the floor. I moved the pan to intersect the stream but the speed of the fluid was enough to wash over the rim and even- even more oil on the ground.

Just something to be aware of. It will save clean-up time.
    I will get a Fumoto valve for my Chargers first oil change.
    Last edited by maneval69; 08-05-2005 at 08:59 AM.
    2006 Charger RT w/Perf. Group Midnight Blue
    Mods
    1 BBK shorty Headers
    2 Bassani Cat-Back
    3 Diablo Preditor

moon twp. Pa. very close to the Pgh. International Airport
    Post Thanks / Like
    where do i get a Fumoto Valve for my Magnum, thank you..

Post Thanks / Like
    http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Don't know what size would work though.. Great idea though..

Quote Originally Posted by hand-badge-1176
    where do i get a Fumoto Valve for my Magnum, thank you..

Post Thanks / Like
    When putting that bottom "scuff pad" or catch pan back on, try putting the screws in loose by hand first. In other words, just hand thread them until they grab and don't over tighten. This way the pan can be shifted slightly back and forth so you get all the screws in, including the last one. Hope this helps.

Edit: I think the Fumoto F106 and F106N are the oil valves that can be used to replace the drain plug if you wish. I have not tested this yet, but have ordered one already per a search in the forums.
    Last edited by quarky42; 02-04-2006 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Adding info about oil drain replacement with Fumoto valve

Post Thanks / Like
    Hokie, thanks for taking the time to do this! We appreciate it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use those Cal-Van metal oil filter wrenches too. The factory installed filters are always difficult to remove, but usually come off with the Cal-Van, just requires a lot of torque. This is way better than the "poke a hole in it with a screwdriver" method for sure. The belly cover clips require a gentle touch and no overtightening. They should have threaded holes in the sheet metal for that thing. Cheap clips! Arrgh.

Good write up. A nice addition to the knowledgebase.
    Robert and Alice - Engaged 12/13/2008, NYC Central Park on "Gothic" footbridge, Married 5/19/2012

R.I.P. Dad aka DynoBob

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to get the stock oil filter off with a standard strap oil wrench. The trick for me was figuring out how to put the handle of the strap wrench over the tubing/piping that is in the way, thus allowing you to keep the strap and handle horizontal relative to eachother. (or keep the strap unbent).

To the right (towards passenger side) of the oil filter is an obstruction. I haven't looked closely at it as I was focused on the job at hand. I believe it is some sort of tubing or piping and a cross member of some sort possible (this from memory).

You put the strap end of the oil filter wrench up to the right of this obstruction and slip the strap through a gap above this obstruction towards the oil filter. With your left hand you'll pull the strap through this gap and slip the strap over the oil filter. This leaves the handle pointing towards the passenger side of the car. Further more, the handle is almost horizontal or flat with the strap so you can get the most leverage! Also, you have pleanty of room to keep your right hand on the handle and your left hand up along the strap with the oil filter. I squeeze with my left hand to hold the strap in place, give the handle a good sturdy pull turning to the left to loosen the oil filter.

The left hand in place helps the strap get a good bite on the oil filter and the right hand lets you put a little muscle into it.

I didn't have a different style of wrench available, so the strap was a must for me. Once I figured out this position to get it in up there, removing the old oil filter and putting on the new one was a breeze.

MAKE SURE YOU ARE BEING SAFE TO INCLUDE BUT NOT LIMITED TO:
    1. Car in Park. Parking brake FULLY engaged.
    2. Chalk the wheels with 2x4"s or preferrably wheel chalks.
    3. ALWAYS use jack stands and make sure they are properly placed! I usually have two jackstands in place. The first jack stand holds the weight while the second jack stand just behind it is set at the next lower height and is in place as a "just in case".

I have had relatives and friends almost kill themselves because they were working on their car and were being STUPID about jack stands (or lack of them) and getting under their multi-ton vehicles. One of them suffered a broken collarbone which could have been a LOT worse! Be careful! Use yer noggins! *grin*
    Did the radiator cap mod: SRT8 is here....
    The Hemi says, "VROOOM!" Hemi Registry #00420

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks hokie, great job!! i learned something new,... i never heard of that ''fumotovalve'' gotta get me one of them.....

THE ORIGINAL
    http://photobucket.com/albums/c15/sugar-tj/

there are no strangers here, just friends you haven't met yet..

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    I know this sounds stupid, but what is this Fumoto valve that you are talking about. I have always changed the oil in my vehicles prior to my Magnum R/T and I have never heard of this.
    Can someone take the time and educate me?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1MRMOPAR
    Hi
    I know this sounds stupid, but what is this Fumoto valve that you are talking about. I have always changed the oil in my vehicles prior to my Magnum R/T and I have never heard of this.
    Can someone take the time and educate me?
    Not a stupid question. Here's the info.

http://www.fumotovalve.com/

Dave
    2006 Dodge Charger R/T, My Winter fun car.

1987 Alfa Romeo Spider Quadrifoglio, My rest of the seasons fun car.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice thread! Is there room under the belly pan to fit a long (Mobil One M1-301) filter on a 5.7 liter engine? I think the M1-301 is almost three inches longer than the stock filter.

Post Thanks / Like

I think so...

I think there is room for a longer filter- the stock filter is WAY up there, so 3" longer shouldn't be an issue.

As to the advisability of putting a larger filter on, I'm not qualified to comment.
    sig by ElCobra44 The General Sherman / 2006 Charger R/T, Bright Silver
    Poor Man's mods:
    Auto Headlights/Hood Struts/Visor Stickers/Lock Pin O-rings/Blinker Mod/RD Hardwire/Cabin Air Filter/Storage Compartment
    Blue Calipers/Honeycomb Grill w/R/T badge/Belly Pan Mod/GTS rain guards/aFe drop-in air filter/Gorilla Lug Nuts/Rear Blinker Mod
    Backup Camera/Fumoto valve/SilverStar fogs/'12 Challenger rims/REF radio "downgrade" for AUX

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread