Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Catch can?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kb67mopar View Post
    Personally I don't see a lot of point in a catch can. (opinion based on my experiences so don't get your panties bunched). The amount of oil that is put into any given cylinder on a single stroke is so minute you wouldn't notice. If it was significant, no way a car would pass emissions. Most of what is coming out in the can is vapor from the oil that gets condensed, also including water. Neither of these in small quantities will hurt anything. In fact, some top cylinder lubricant might actually be beneficial. People used to put a marvel mystery oil drip into their intake to decrease engine wear.

Anyway, as an example, if you assume an average of 2000 rpm for 5000 miles at 30 miles an hour (my vehicle's average out to 30 mph when i compare mileage and hours and do the math). If you assume 1 quart of consumed oil over 5000 miles (which is higher than I have experienced on any of my hemi's), you would get 0.00000004 ounces per cylinder per revolution.

So reality is the only benefit comes to a cleaner intake. Which if you keep the dirt out better won't become caked with junk. You might want to re-think your air filter choice is you have a lot of dirt sticking to the minute oil there.
    But it looks cool.
    2018 Charger R/T Super Track Pak F8 Green
    2007 Charger R/T Road & Track Stone White (Gone)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by green8teen345 View Post
    But it looks cool.
    Added clutter in the engine bay of a modern car doesn't look cool to me, but to each their own. Personally, I am impressed not by bolt on's but by the guy willing to work on the internals and increase power.
    Mopar11 Charger, MMX Cam, BBK Shorty Headers, Hemifever tune, Getrag 3.91 LSD
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Added clutter in the engine bay of a modern car doesn't look cool to me, but to each their own. Personally, I am impressed not by bolt on's but by the guy willing to work on the internals and increase power.
    I installed a Cold Air Intake also. Are you impressed?
    Last edited by green8teen345; 07-22-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Especially for NA engines where its been shown their effectivity does not alter engine performance :^)

Once again...engines could not care less whether there's a catch can present - or not.

Human emotions (bling and somehow "cleaner") rule...
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by green8teen345 View Post
    I installed a Cold Air Intake also. Are you impressed?
    Depends...what are you classifying as a "cold air" intake :^)
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Likes kb67mopar liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Catch cans and CAI are not necessary. I get it. I was being sarcastic about both.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    Depends...what are you classifying as a "cold air" intake :^)
    Agree completely. I kept my factory cold air intake and didn't waste money on the aftermarket hot air intake :P
    Mopar11 Charger, MMX Cam, BBK Shorty Headers, Hemifever tune, Getrag 3.91 LSD
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Share This Thread