Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    The unit I purchased from you Scott.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    this whole analytical or i should say analitical thread is getting very touchy feally....im guna go find some other thread i can pick on
    07 Steel Blue...faster than you!...shooting for a 10.0 next time out to the track...

Post Thanks / Like
    Your comments in post #3 sorta mirror my own, but you should think twice before insulting Canadians. That was in very poor taste...

Quote Originally Posted by Lajus007 View Post
    this whole analytical or i should say analitical thread is getting very touchy feally....im guna go find some other thread i can pick on
    Last edited by Hemissary; 07-09-2009 at 08:21 PM.
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    lol you have to be a simpsons fan to know what im talking about bud...homer calls your land canadia...easy now...relax...all in good fun man...
    07 Steel Blue...faster than you!...shooting for a 10.0 next time out to the track...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lajus007 View Post
    If you do a search you can find all kinds of information and opinions on this subject.
    No touchy feally here.Its just the subject has been beat to death

Post Thanks / Like
    i know....thats why im giving up on this one...lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Pay $150 pick up a few HP crisp up you throttle response and be happy. There are people who buy headers spend 2k with install only to find out they gained 5 to maybe 10hp. I am not even going talk about the exhaust. I've been trough 2 sent only to go back to stock. Looking at cost to satisfaction ratio TB was one of the best mods I'v done.

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^

PWR 426, Paramount Tranny/4000 dominator, PWR cam 247/252 115+2LSA, Apache Heads,
    Modern Muscle ported intake/90mm TB, Kooks LT headers, Billy Boat exhaust. LMI Intake

Installed with love by AMP!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    the way I look at it, tb can be described as in direct relation to the amount of mods you have done to your engine. Being an air pump in an oversimplified way, I think it is not worth it on slightly modded car. on the other hand, a car making over 500 rwhp (a stroker/with or without forced induction) can only benefit and prosper from this mod. Finally, i agree with hemissary in a way, because it is not a mod for everybody. Only a few can rip the benefits of a ported tb, so keep that in mind why you think about buying it!!!!

Enough said, Serge
    SOLD.

Post Thanks / Like
    i second that...good input man

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, the modified tip-in is explainable; however it's still an assumption there has actually been produced more HP/TQ as a direct result of the machining process.

No one, repeat no one has yet put forth definitive data that shows repeatable and reliable HP/TQ gains, and who have ALSO controlled those variables which can in of themselves produced the SAME if not MORE or LESS gains from one pull to the next.

Many folks have already accurately stated that 10, 15, even 20HP can come and go, pretty as you please, due only to engine operating temperature (there a few raw temp values utilized by the PCM during the decision-making process) during that particular pull. Add to this the original restriction is still present in that machined TB, and again no one has shown ANY sort of gain in flow rate by any empirical manner whatsoever...it bears repeating each and every time this, along with throttle body spacers and turbo swirling air beaters claiming way more horsepower gains...well I think you know where I'm going with this :^)

An engine on a test stand, with all the variables (and there are many) controlled while switching (many many times - it would be the ONLY way of getting anywhere NEAR repeatable results) between an OEM and modified TB, or maybe even a flow bench that can actually(!) bend Bernoulli's principles to show a gain in volumetric flow for a given aperture's cross-sectional restricted area might cause me to admit I am all wet on this.

I am certainly not angry or mad; however I am (very) disappointed that without cause this mod is being touted as an inexpensive power-adder...without the evidence to back it up. I'll eat my words and apologize, just as soon as that (contradicting) evidence materializes :^)
    Last edited by Hemissary; 07-13-2009 at 07:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    I am certianly not angry or mad, however I am (very) dissappointed that without cause this mod is being touted at an inexpensive power-adder...without the evidence to back it up. I'll eat my words and apologize, just as soon as the evidence materializes :^)
    In fact, I did my own UNOFFICIAL testing with my stroker and found zero gain on the dyno when swapping between the stock 80mm and an aftermarket 90mm.

But I need to stress those were unofficial (and not expressly controlled) tests.
    On to... ...the next

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    maybe even a flow bench that can actually(!) bend Bernoulli's principles to show a gain in volumetric flow for a given aperture's cross-sectional restricted area might cause me to admit I am all wet on this.
    Lol, are you saying that flow is based on cross-sectional area and the aperature's discharge coefficient? If so, then I AGREE!!!!!

Flow this, flow that.

I'd bet that if you multiply your CID by your VE%, and the # of induction cycle per minute, you'd discover how much the TB flows. I'd also bet that changing the size of said TB would change the VELOCITY of the air moving through it, but flow would be determined by the cubes, rpm, and VE%. This is the difference between "on the running engine" and " 28 inches of water on the flow bench".

The ONLY gains in power that will EVER come from a larger TB will come from better cylinder -2-cylinder air distribution. The larger cross section SLOWS THE AIR DOWN (sorry, "turbo-swirl CIA for increased velocity" guys), thereby equalizing air flow between the front and rear cylinders. THis is also the reason that the plenum tapers from front to rear.The ported TBs are bigger at the entrance to the plenum, which would slow the air down for the "turn" into the front cylinders. Of course, you will only see a gain if velocity is too high with the stock TB.

And, of course, a larger butterfly will flow more air with the same throttle angle, increasing the "percieved" throttle response..........So does putting the pedal to the floor with the stock TB, hehehehehehehehehe.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would just like to add to my previous post by saying as displacement, rpm, and/or VE% increases, velocity through the TB will also increase, allowing for larger gains to be seen from the "equalization" effect of an increased TB bore size.

I would also like to add a lil thought regarding forced induction. Blowers/Turbos don't really increase CFM demand or velocity. Air DENSITY is what increases. Fi cars can use the same size TBs as their N/A counterparts( sharing the same CID, VE%, and rpm).

Post Thanks / Like
    How many guys use the stock valves (size) when they port their heads? Most right?
    And of these how many make more power with ported heads? Again, most right?
    How is this any different than ported stock TB's?
    And not all the ported TB's available share the same port design...
    Last edited by SH4DY; 11-18-2009 at 01:01 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Share This Thread