Post Thanks / Like

braided lines & DOT 4

hey all,

so i have a daytona 392 so 6 pot brembos front 4 pot rears. wondering if there would be any benefit to upgrading to braided brake lines from stoptech or goodridge im assuming the OE lines are pretty stout but just curious. also looking at the manual OE fluid looks to be DOT 3 fluid anyone gone up to a DOT 4?

any experience / knowledge appreciated!

TIA

********************2017 Dodge Charger Daytona 392***************************

Post Thanks / Like
    I run braided on both vehicles and if its measurable I cannot really tell. I've heard racers say stay with OE.

But I will tell you Russel makes a better product. The banjo's and bolts are better. If you over torque the StopTech's they stretch at the hole.

Thanks hylander6361 thanked for this post
    Likes Lenny H liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I have read, Dot 4 is fully compatible with DOT3 and DOT 5.1. The higher the number, the higher the boiling temperature but the quicker it will absorb moisture. So, if you use the higher number brake fluid, flush it more often.
    Likes hylander6361 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005rtmag View Post
    From what I have read, Dot 4 is fully compatible with DOT3 and DOT 5.1. The higher the number, the higher the boiling temperature but the quicker it will absorb moisture. So, if you use the higher number brake fluid, flush it more often.
    correct from my understanding max 24mo interval change with DOT4 recommended. not familiar with DOT5.1? i knew you CANNOT mix DOT 3-4 w/ DOT5

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gapi View Post
    I run braided on both vehicles and if its measurable I cannot really tell. I've heard racers say stay with OE.

But I will tell you Russel makes a better product. The banjo's and bolts are better. If you over torque the StopTech's they stretch at the hole.
    i had goodridge braided lines and DOT 4 previously on my 11' R/T... but of course that didnt have big A** brembo brakes. i felt like the improvement there was noticeable. wasnt sure if the same would/could be said for the brembo equipped cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Manufactures have started to play games here...You will see fluids being labeled as synthetic now. The truth is they were always synthetic. Here is a quick explanation
    Dot 3...Glycol Based Fluid. Lowest wet Boiling point...Around 284 Deg.
    Dot 4...also Glycol Based Fluid. little better wet Boiling point...Around 311 Deg.
    Dot 5...Silicone Based Fluid....Around 356 wet Boiling point Deg. DO NOT MIX WITH 3,4 OR 5.1
    Dot 5.1...Glycol Based Fluid. Lowest wet Boiling point...356 Deg.

As for Braided lines I have not personally seen any benefit on the street.

Last edited by Lenny H; 05-29-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    So this is a particular area that I've spent quite some time to get a good understanding on how to get the best brake feel out of the lx platform,
    I'm very particular about my brakes, the firmer the pedal the better, that said I noticed a immediate night and day difference upgrading to StopTech Stainless braided lines, the rubber lines swell more under pressure, and that swell adds to wasted pedal travel. A quick side note, In F1 racing, they try to use the smallest amount of flexible section of hose possible, as even the braided line has an amount of swell.

As for fluids, no two DOT spec fluids are alike, regardless of dot 3, 4, 5.1. Stay away from DOT 5 (not to be confused with 5.1), there is not one reason to even try to run it, it can't mix with any other, our cars are not meant to use it, and you will get poor performance anyways, unless your goal is to have a spongy pedal .

I HIGHLY recommend Motuls RPF600 brake fluid, its had the best resistance to compressibility of the fluids I tested(which aren't many, as full fluid changes are timely and involved). I'm sure the quality fluids from Brembo, sparta, stoptech, and redline, would perform just as well.
    The fluid is pricey, but for a good reason, its not the typical general automotive store formulation.

With those two combinations, and doing the proper brake bleed procedure (base flush, abs flush, then base flush again), your brakes (if you have good pads) will feel super grabby and firm!
    Without a proper brake bleed, it would be obvious why some would say they didn't notice a difference.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have ever added stainless brake lines to an econobox with no abs, it will spoil you.You will get a noticeable improvement in pedal firmness and improved brake modulation.when you add braided lines to a vehicle with ABS you don't get that firmness you would get in a non ABS car. So you would feel like you wasted your money and it didn't do what you expect them to do. But when you compare your car with braided line to another car with stock rubber line so see a marked difference in pedal firmness and intial brake bite.So if you added the braided lines to your scatpack you may not feel like it made any difference if any. Think of braided line as a fine tuning mod, you do this after you did all the other mods you wanted. Adding braided lines will essentially maintain your brake feel ability to modulate the pedal with regular brake fluid flushes.If you car is either 3 years old or has over 15,000 miles on it flush the fluid and you can upgrade to a DOT 4 fluid. Just flushing the fluid alone can improve overall brake feel and restore performance. So if you don't want to pay someone to swap out your brake lines or you down want to mess with swapping lines yourself just get the fluid flushed regularly and it will maintain your brake feel and performance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by VI_MOTORING View Post
    If you have ever added stainless brake lines to an econobox with no abs, it will spoil you.You will get a noticeable improvement in pedal firmness and improved brake modulation.when you add braided lines to a vehicle with ABS you don't get that firmness you would get in a non ABS car. So you would feel like you wasted your money and it didn't do what you expect them to do. But when you compare your car with braided line to another car with stock rubber line so see a marked difference in pedal firmness and intial brake bite.So if you added the braided lines to your scatpack you may not feel like it made any difference if any. Think of braided line as a fine tuning mod, you do this after you did all the other mods you wanted. Adding braided lines will essentially maintain your brake feel ability to modulate the pedal with regular brake fluid flushes.If you car is either 3 years old or has over 15,000 miles on it flush the fluid and you can upgrade to a DOT 4 fluid. Just flushing the fluid alone can improve overall brake feel and restore performance. So if you don't want to pay someone to swap out your brake lines or you down want to mess with swapping lines yourself just get the fluid flushed regularly and it will maintain your brake feel and performance.
    Absolutely agree....Flushing 2 year old fluid will make a bigger difference than braided lines. It will also make those calipers last a bunch longer!

Post Thanks / Like
    Where do you buy your stainless braided lines?
    I notice HHP is $185.00. That seems a little high...
    Last edited by netnathan; 06-05-2020 at 04:53 PM.
    Net is where I be......Nathan is me
    2006 Charger SRT8
    Inferno Red (Just a blur to most folks) with All Factory Options / Groups, SRT8 Mats, Side moldings/rear ram's head shaved
    Billet Technology all over + valve covers and coil covers, KillerGlass Pipe, LMI FIV CAI, 180 Tstat, Magnaflow 3" exhaust
    MPR Motorsports built 6.1 based/392 NA Stroker, BBK 85mm TB, TranZformer, Kooks Long Tubes, 3.70 LSD Hellcat rear cradle
    BCR coilovers with Hotchkis sways and Nitto 245/45/20F - 295/40/20R NT555-G2 paws

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you taking your Mopar to the road course? Because that's the only place to put that much sustained heat into your brake system to really matter. The braided lines (Goodridge, StopTech, Russell) will resist expansion and keep the pedal firm. DOT4 fluid (Castrol, Motul, Wilwood, AP, etc.) with about 600F dry and 400F wet boiling points are used by many racers. Depending on use the fluid may just have to be bled periodically to maintain its performance.
    FURIOUS FUCHSIA 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
    FLOW Legmaker intake, Belanger Tri-Y headers, Zoomers catback, Joelvan's p/s pulley & Russell cooler, 392 front clip // GO 215mm Wavetrac LSD, AMG diff cooler & BlueTops, B&M pan, Tranzformer & NoESP // WHOA RideTech coilovers, Hotchkis sways, PowerGrid endlinks, REM bumpsteer, REM & Petty braces, CTP/BFNY solid cradle bushings, AAD harness bar w/ Sabelt 6pts // SLOW Serious Metal SRT 14.2 front & Pursuit BR9 13.8 rear rotors, Carbotech pads, Russell lines // SHOW WebElectric, Hurst, Billet Tech, RiderGraphix, Performance Pedals

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lenny H View Post
    You will see fluids being labeled as synthetic now. The truth is they were always synthetic. Here is a quick explanation

LOL! Yes. As opposed to that organic stuff from the Brake Fluid Tree....

*ok aside from the Castor Bean stuff that most have never heard of.
    TCE
    Your one stop...for Wilwood brakes.

* Corvette * Lightning * Impala SS * Focus ST * Marauder * 350/370Z
    * MINI * Challenger * WRX * Super Duty * SHO * Mustang * Custom work* ...and more
    !