Post Thanks / Like

Long Tube Headers and False Knock

Have any of you that installed long tube headers discovered that the your car picked up a false knock signal which retards timing, and thus restricts power?

I'd like to install long tubes and run a before and after dyno to monitor the amount of torque and horsepower that they increased. I had just did that with a LMI 392 True CAI.

After the upgrade of intake and headers without a tune, then I wanted to see how much a tune would help.
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2019 Octane Red Charger GT
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2020 Charger Scat Pack Widebody

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have false knock with Lt headers on a 6.1. And yes I did a before and after with the lmi but not on the Dyno at the track and picked up 3/10. My time slips are in his Facebook page
    The lmi true cold air is no joke. It works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Turn off the knock sensors and runs the test passes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I left the sensors turned on. AJ said there’s no harm in it. It’s a street car so I don’t care

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Renfrick1 View Post
    Yes I have false knock with Lt headers on a 6.1. And yes I did a before and after with the lmi but not on the Dyno at the track and picked up 3/10. My time slips are in his Facebook page

sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    Turn off the knock sensors and runs the test passes.
    I left the sensors turned on. AJ said there’s no harm in it. It’s a street car so I don’t care

Let me try to get some clarity on the above posts:
    1. Is it safe to say that both of you have a tune? Isn't that how it is possible to turn the knock sensors on/off?
    2. If the knock sensors detect the knock, whether it is an actual knock or a false knock, doesn't the computer pull the timing, and thus lose power?
    Terry

2005 Magnum RT load runner 2.6: Inertia Motorsports 419 Stroker, Predator Tune: 475rwhp & 465rwtq, Crower Cam, Kook's Headers, 3 inch "Custom" Exhaust, Tunable Induction Intake, NAG1-HTC Tranny, 3.55 Gears, 600hp DSS Half-Shafts, TrueFiber Challenger Hood, Enkei Wheels 18"x9", MT 28.00" / 12.00" x 18" radials on rear, Paneled Rear Side Windows, GoManGo Front Seats, Eibach Springs/Dampers, Wilwood Calipers, Rear Wiper Removed, Billet Technology enhancments.
    2019 Octane Red Charger GT
    1999 Plymouth Prowler (yellow) Prowler Pro #11
    2020 Charger Scat Pack Widebody

Post Thanks / Like
    The knock sensors can have their sensitivity altered without turning them completely off. CMR tune required.
    Old 426 guy,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RT NOMAD View Post
    Let me try to get some clarity on the above posts:
    1. Is it safe to say that both of you have a tune? Isn't that how it is possible to turn the knock sensors on/off?
    2. If the knock sensors detect the knock, whether it is an actual knock or a false knock, doesn't the computer pull the timing, and thus lose power?
    Yes the knock sensor will pull timing (and lose power) if it correctly or falsely picks up a knock.
    I dont see the need for them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have a blower and tune. I left them on for safety. I’m not out to break records. I trust AJ ‘s tune but like I said. I’m out having fun. I don’t care if it pulls timing

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes I have a blower and tune. I left them on for safety. I’m not out to break records. I trust AJ ‘s tune but like I said. I’m out having fun. I don’t care if it pulls timing

That explains it!

PB ET 14.02 at CamaroFest 5 totally stock
    PB RT Sportsman tree .003 at Challengerfest 3, PB RT pro tree .019 at MSHS VMP 5/16
    PB 0-60 3.24 MIR Raceway Drag Radials 6/18

PB 0-60 4.40 Street Tires on the street Calabash 10/14

PB 60' 1.472 @ CF9 4/18
    PB ET 1/8 6.911 @ CF9 4/18
    PB MPH 1/8 101.32 @ The Rock 4/19
    PB ET 10.857 @ CF9 4/18

PB MPH 127.29 @ Atco 11/18

Post Thanks / Like
    Let’s race !!