Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mercy. I did mine myself in my garage only needing help to set it on top of the heads. I suggest you pause and re-think. Travel and having to police a build is not enjoyable.
    I enjoyed every minute of my build.

If you cannot pull wrenches to this level, and its not that high of a level, take your time, don't even order a kit, and find someone locally or a friend or associate.

Go to car shows or meets. I was at the Ringgold GA Cars and Coffee yesterday and there were "several" cars there with our hoods up showing our Blower Builds. All of which were pretty local. I drove 1 hour to the meet. All willing to share their build methods, shops,and experiences.

Good Luck

Likes Jay Z liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    Be warned, this is going to be a book.

I did talk with several shops, in person from Texas to Virginia, not just by phone or email, I went to the shops and spoke in person.

Alex seemed to me to be the most upfront, and obviously the price was right. There are a couple of us on here running his engines and other than my emissions test, no complaints. Mechanically they're fantastic.

My build was specific. I didn't leave many decisions up to him as to what I wanted and how I wanted it. A few people will tell you my car is cursed and Alex might agree with that. If it could go wrong it did go wrong. I have a full thread on it and I'm working out the last issue with it now.

Me, being the optimistic person I am, I try to find the good in anything. This build made that difficult. Very difficult. I'm also honest to a fault.

I'm not going to say "Don't use Alex". I can't do that to him. Although my build was hell, he did a lot of things for me that he didn't have to do and didn't charge me for them. (Gauge installs, installed all my adjustable arms in the rear and a few other things)

I will say this though, if you decide to use him, stay on his ass. I'm serious. That's the only REAL thing I can complain about with him. I'd like to think he's just busy and can't call, rather that just doesn't, but if we talked it was because I called or texted him first.

Now, the big question..."If I could go back, knowing what I know now, and make the choice again, would I still use Alex to build my car?" Yes, I would. Even with all the issues, I can't say anyone else wouldn't have had the same problems.

Am I mental? Probably. And I doubt anyone who knows my situation with him would argue that.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Thanks again for a specific response to my question.

Sounds like Alex is a very fine mechanic, and really good at performance builds. It also sounds like he may be organizationally challenged (e.g., estimating time), and perhaps not the best at communicating.

Which is good information for me, as the my major concern with going to Alex has been the 3 hour trip each way x2 to drop the car off and pick it up. Having to stay on his ass, as you say, adds to the hassle factor.

So I called him up, to ask a couple of questions, and clarify part of the quote, but really to tell him that I would be going to my other choice of shop. Then I told him my main issue was with the driving time to and from his shop. He said he understood, and that as much as he’d like to do the install, I’d probably be better off with a local shop. He mentioned National Speed (my other choice), and said he’d built some engines for them. Said they were a good shop.

Not the way I expected it to turn out, but it left me with a very good feeling about Alex, and that going local in my case is a good decision.

Thanks to you, gapi, and others on here for your help! Now all I have to do is wait a few weeks for Whipple to build and deliver the supercharger.
    Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Alex is no mechanic nor tuner. Don is a salesman and i'd also say coming from one Alex is a dam good salesman too. Telling me everything I wanted hear then as soon as I dropped off never heard another word, no vid of start up, no dyno graph NOTHING!! I wanted ONE thing to be guaranteed before I chose them and he swore it was no issue.... Had to pass obd2. I got visual down pat but can't beat computer. OHHHH NOOO issues.. MY TUNER(making me ASSUME it's not him) is very experienced and this is all he does is tune 1khp hemis all day.

Also another issue with cam I brought that was never told to me until i picked up. As in it was installed. They were 2 weeks over on my SIMPLE Cam install head port, oversized valve job

Now let's talk about my gains.... HA what gains? i'm very very sad to publicly announce that my car made 30 hp with Inertia Cam and head work. Found out from a few sources their machine shop as well as them don't know **** about specs and just shave off 20 thousandths and roll.

I own a shop and let me tell you what makes a shop.... Not the mistakes you make but how you fix them...

ANd F BB with that statement. Get snooty with me bc I'm trying to hep and then slanders online help bc all are stupid that's not him

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
    Alex is no mechanic nor tuner. Don is a salesman and i'd also say coming from one Alex is a dam good salesman too. Telling me everything I wanted hear then as soon as I dropped off never heard another word, no vid of start up, no dyno graph NOTHING!! I wanted ONE thing to be guaranteed before I chose them and he swore it was no issue.... Had to pass obd2. I got visual down pat but can't beat computer. OHHHH NOOO issues.. MY TUNER(making me ASSUME it's not him) is very experienced and this is all he does is tune 1khp hemis all day.

Also another issue with cam I brought that was never told to me until i picked up. As in it was installed. They were 2 weeks over on my SIMPLE Cam install head port, oversized valve job

Now let's talk about my gains.... HA what gains? i'm very very sad to publicly announce that my car made 30 hp with Inertia Cam and head work. Found out from a few sources their machine shop as well as them don't know **** about specs and just shave off 20 thousandths and roll.

I own a shop and let me tell you what makes a shop.... Not the mistakes you make but how you fix them...

ANd F BB with that statement. Get snooty with me bc I'm trying to hep and then slanders online help bc all are stupid that's not him
    Sounds like a shop to stay a mile away from, typical "over promise-under deliver" shop. Takes your money to pay for the jobs that came before you and has to wait for other jobs to come in to finish yours. Thank god I have a friend with a shop and I can do most of the work myself.
    Last edited by coanan; 03-02-2020 at 06:28 PM.
    13 Chrysler 300S, Stock 17 RAM 6.4 BGE with TSP Stage 4 boosted Cam, AIT 18% OD pulley, E-force 2.62 pulley(12.2 lbs boost),, Fastman 84+4 mm throttle body, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Trans by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73, Walbro 400LPH, DW 65# inj. aluminum rad. SRT fans. Brembo upgrade. Stage one MOPAR springs, XIX X39 22x9 +15 - 22x10.5 +22 with NITTO NT555 265/35R22 - 295/30R22
    Likes Jay Z liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    After an interminable wait, in part thanks to COVID, I'm picking my car up from National Speed today.
    533 hp and 528 tq at the wheels.
    Sounds pretty good to me.
    Can't wait to drive it!
    Likes punisher69, Jay Z liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck and congrats, brother. Hope it surpasses all your expectations

Should be getting mine back in a few days too - Great feeling, if everything runs well!
    Likes MtnRT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Are you gonna have gauges? Do you have SRT pages enabled?
    I like the AEM setup. SRT pages have an intake air temp Gauge that's handy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow... I was really venting up there lol.

Details and pictures/videos man!!!!
    Likes MtnRT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gapi View Post
    Are you gonna have gauges? Do you have SRT pages enabled?
    I like the AEM setup. SRT pages have an intake air temp Gauge that's handy.
    Hadn't planned on gauges, but I may change my mind later on. The SRT pages aren't enabled.
    It
    2014 Dodge Charger R/T Plus AWD. Whipple Stage 2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Z View Post
    Wow... I was really venting up there lol.

Details and pictures/videos man!!!!
    Yeah, I'd say so. It's all good.

Overlay TuneS5pdf.pdf
    Likes snobrdrdan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have pics and a video, and for the life of me, can't figure out how to post any of them.
    Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnRT View Post
    I have pics and a video, and for the life of me, can't figure out how to post any of them.
    Any suggestions?
    You have to upload them to YouTube and link that here. Neither Tapatalk or SP forums support video.

As for pics, if you're on your phone, the Tapatalk app is the easiest way to do that

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by punisher69; 05-11-2020 at 07:27 PM.
    Thanks MtnRT thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnRT View Post
    Any suggestions?
    Easiest for videos is to upload them to youtube then copy and paste the link here. Pictures, I always had issues with this site but somehow, someway, they end up working. Try shrinking their size in Paint
    Thanks MtnRT thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I'll work on that.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast