Post Thanks / Like

EV's Outsell IC's for the First Time...

2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    My first thought when seeing the headline was "in what world?". Then I read the article - my initial thought was right. Denmark - personal tax rate of 56%! And, they're subsidizing the sale of electric cars. Not real world.

Post Thanks / Like
    No "real" numbers on how many were sold either or comparison of sales trends over the last few years. We probably sell more cars in L.A. in a couple months than Norway in a year. Now when Germany or France start selling more EVs than ICE, then that'll be a big step.
    '18 Charger SP - Tech/Driver's/Beats Packages, WRT wheels - Tazer
    Previous:
    '17 Camaro 2SS A8

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, it's coming! The electric cars will soon probably have a V8 rumble coming from the speakers to keep the old farts happy!
    Likes OlGeezer2018 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    While that's interesting it's certainly not indicative of a shift in a broad scale. Only way any government is going to get rid of ICE powered vehicles is to ban the production of gasoline and diesel and make it illegal to drive them. And even then they'll have to pry it from my cold dead hands.

2016 Charger Scat Pack
    LMI Intake
    Hemifever tune
    3.70 gears
    Borla Atak
    AES bypass
    eBay longtube headers
    2016 Charger Scat PackLMI Intake3.70 gearsLongtube headersBorla AtakActive exhaust deleteHemifever Tuning

Post Thanks / Like
    I posted this cause its simply noteworthy from the POV that the event has occurred for the first time - ever. And it IS noteworthy no matter how anyone elects to marginalize the fact to suit their own narrow spin cycle. It's information...
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Of course it's the first time ever. This is the first time ever that electric vehicles have been mass produced. And yes I am going to spin it because it's not a scalable model. The states or Europe or China couldn't subsidize the way Norway is so it's nothing but an outlier in the scheme of the overall trend of ev versus ice.

2016 Charger Scat Pack
    LMI Intake
    Hemifever tune
    3.70 gears
    Borla Atak
    AES bypass
    eBay longtube headers
    2016 Charger Scat PackLMI Intake3.70 gearsLongtube headersBorla AtakActive exhaust deleteHemifever Tuning

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by centexcharger View Post
    Of course it's the first time ever. This is the first time ever that electric vehicles have been mass produced. And yes I am going to spin it because it's not a scalable model. The states or Europe or China couldn't subsidize the way Norway is so it's nothing but an outlier in the scheme of the overall trend of ev versus ice.
    You've elected to entirely miss the point. As a typical western consumer looking down your nose and not aware what is going on outside your border, the world is turning away from car ownership and towards a different model of mobility which is scalable. And China is ahead;

China’s plans for the electrified, autonomous and shared future of the car

Last edited by Hemissary; 04-06-2019 at 06:32 PM.

Likes formerice liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    China has no choice. Their growing middle class demands all the goods the western world has enjoyed for over half a century. China cannot supply enough fossil fuels to keep up with this growth. The Party know they must keep the middle class happy or the entire Communist system will collapse, and they will lose their grip on power. But they have an astronomical amount of ground to make up. California has almost half as many EVs as China does, and twice as many EVs per person than China.

Back to Norway, found some real data to give context. Norway averages about 140-150K car sales a year. So if they sold EVs at almost 60%, your looking at max 90K EVs if they maintain the rate throughout the year. The Dodge RAM sold more than that in the last two months of the year for 2018. That's why it's hard to get excited about a country with fewer than 5 million cars on the road crossing this threshold. Now when Italy, Germany, France, and England (which combined still are down quite a bit from total US cars) cross this threshold, it will be newsworthy...and if China does it will be the end of the ICE period.
    '18 Charger SP - Tech/Driver's/Beats Packages, WRT wheels - Tazer
    Previous:
    '17 Camaro 2SS A8
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005rtmag View Post
    Yep, it's coming! The electric cars will soon probably have a V8 rumble coming from the speakers to keep the old farts happy!
    Some of us Geezers are kinda deaf, so I'd like to have the seat vibrate, hehe. I was thinking of going to ECE, maybe a Stanley. Convert to wood fired boiler, just bring my Husqvarna along..... Maine wouldn't miss a couple trees.
    FRI Sidewinder cam, Dynatec LT Headers , BorlaCatback , 93 octane dyno tune, 333rwhp/350 ft lbs, Police Pack Oil Cooler, SRT 8 Struts and Nivo's ,Hotchkis sway bars,B Woody end links, , 275/40/20 Ventus ST's , 2017 CC Big Horn Ram 4X4 EcoDiesel. Never Trust a Fart

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't get me wrong, I'm all for progress, but I guess I need convincing that plug in hybrids are much more environmentally friendly. I believe 50% of generated electricity is lost using conventional power lines. Yes, I know, at absolute zero, you could power North America with a #12 AWG copper wire, maybe, haha, but we are a ways from completely overhauling the grid. So for now, from what I've driven, a Prius will give you about 50 mpg. But, my 2017 Ram 4x4 CC weighing 3 tons, 1/2 the size of a battle cruiser, has been averaging 31-32 mpg, summer and winter. Have gotten 900 miles from a 26 gallon tank. Yes, it's tuned, but, that shows me that diesels can be very efficient. I don't think ICE are dead yet. Kinda curious what something like an Alfa Romeo 3C would do with the 3L turbo diesel. As far as pollution, my Ecodiesel's exhaust tips are shiny at 34,000 miles. not so much with a hemi! Probably the most polluting vehicles burned coal, but horses probably not far behind.
    FRI Sidewinder cam, Dynatec LT Headers , BorlaCatback , 93 octane dyno tune, 333rwhp/350 ft lbs, Police Pack Oil Cooler, SRT 8 Struts and Nivo's ,Hotchkis sway bars,B Woody end links, , 275/40/20 Ventus ST's , 2017 CC Big Horn Ram 4X4 EcoDiesel. Never Trust a Fart

Post Thanks / Like
    Hybrids, not-so-much.

EV's yes...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 2005rtmag View Post
    They do already!

Post Thanks / Like
    More bad new or good new, depending on your POV;

"Peter Koning is Senior Director of Sustainable Development at energy major ConocoPhillips Canada, and has over 30 years experience working on environmental and social issues relating to oil and gas development. He is also a Fellow in the Alberta-based Energy Futures Lab, along with over sixty other Fellows including myself.
    As a personal hobby, Peter curates a weekly ‘Energy Shift’ email/blog focused on the climate change-energy nexus, which you can find at StewardingEnergy....com.
    For those interested in following Alberta's evolving role in the global energy economy, I strongly recommend following Peter's blog.
    From this week's blog:

"Hi Everyone,

Happy Easter!

I highlight here a few important stories from this week, but scan the others as well.

ThinkProgress reported that Bloomberg has again shortened its forecasted cross-over when electric car reaches cost parity with gas-powered cars. In 2017, they forecasted it to happen in nine years (2026). In 2018, they forecasted it to happen in six years (2024), and now they are forecasting it to happen in 2022 - just three years away. Meanwhile The Driven, reports that a Tesla Model 3 (at US$44,500) already costs less than a Toyota Camry to own, at least in the US (the Ark Invest blog provides a link to the Total Cost of Ownership model spreadsheet you can download to see their assumptions). For those that dig into this, let me know your thoughts.

Mark Carney, Bank of England Governor, (and former Governor of the Bank of Canada) helped pen an Op-Ed in The Guardian bringing attention to the 'Network for Greening the Financial System', a coalition of 34 central banks that issued its first report prescribing actions to address the game-changing risks posed by advancing climate change to the global financial ecosystem. "The four recommendations in the report provide all central banks, supervisors and the financial community with deliverable goals that will help to ensure a smooth transition to a low-carbon economy."

Use of energy by Americans hit a new high in 2018, with a 4% increase attributed to the need for more heating and cooling during extreme weather events, according to the U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA). "Fossil fuels in all accounted for 80 percent of Americans' energy use," the Associated Press said in its summary of the EIA data."

Stewarding Energy – News that marks the transition to a new climate-friendly energy mix "