Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    In terms of street altercations I avoid them at all costs, if the whole world thinks I'm a punk because of it I can live with that, but the world is different now, I've got a wife and three small children with me pretty much everywhere I go, I don't want them getting caught up in something that I can avoid. And these days a fair fight isn't a fair fight, these idiots don't think there's a single thing wrong with or unmanly about bringing his buddies into an issue that should just be between two men. And they don't think twice about having a go at your family, the list goes on. If you get into a confrontation with somebody now, that's unlikely to be the end of it if you come out on top.

Galactus hungers...
    Current
    His: 2006 MSRT8, K&N CAI, built and tuned by MPR Motorsports (WhiteHemi), forged pistons and a HHP Stg 2r cam, HHP HEMITUNER TCM, Paramount Stg 2 valve body, Mopar Performance high stall converter, Flowmaster Super 10s, 180° t-stat, Tranzformer, Street Edge coilovers, 275/35/20 Continental ExtremeContact DW (square), otherwise bone stock.
    397rwhp/399rwtq
    Personal best 8.473 in the 1/8 and spinning like a fool, on old Toyos, pre Tranzformer, old suspension, and old stock engine, new times to come.

Hers: 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, bone stock and slow as a rock...
    MOPAR360

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTSOFA View Post
    Geezus.. Jackie Graves had a lot of fights.. holy smokes.. 84/2/11?! That's incredible...
    His Golden Gloves record was 284 & 6 with 4 State Titles and 1 National Title, all before he turned pro.

Lastly, he was inducted in the Boxing Hall of Fame.
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site
    Likes 1FASTSOFA liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibeast View Post
    In terms of street altercations I avoid them at all costs, if the whole world thinks I'm a punk because of it I can live with that, but the world is different now, I've got a wife and three small children with me pretty much everywhere I go, I don't want them getting caught up in something that I can avoid. And these days a fair fight isn't a fair fight, these idiots don't think there's a single thing wrong with or unmanly about bringing his buddies into an issue that should just be between two men. And they don't think twice about having a go at your family, the list goes on. If you get into a confrontation with somebody now, that's unlikely to be the end of it if you come out on top.

Galactus hungers...
    Yes, of course if there is an alternative to violence I am all for peace, but if in dire situations I'd have to do something about it even if it meant sacrificing my own safety and well being it meant keeping my family safe as they're fleeing. I grew up in violence and around violent people, I have no doubt at all that it won't be a fair fight, I actually expect it.

That being said, I have OCD about my whereabouts and surroundings so I know how to avoid sketchy people and places, especially in different cities we visit and have been in some run down sh!tholes looking for $1 pancakes of all things, my family is all aloof and blind to the fact that it's a choppy a$$ neighborhood and I'm like, lets get the hell out of here! lol

Quote Originally Posted by hemi_57 View Post
    His Golden Gloves record was 284 & 6 with 4 State Titles and 1 National Title, all before he turned pro.

Lastly, he was inducted in the Boxing Hall of Fame.
    Holy smokes.. WTF!? That's an incredible record!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1FASTSOFA View Post
    Yes, of course if there is an alternative to violence I am all for peace, but if in dire situations I'd have to do something about it even if it meant sacrificing my own safety and well being it meant keeping my family safe as they're fleeing. I grew up in violence and around violent people, I have no doubt at all that it won't be a fair fight, I actually expect it.

That being said, I have OCD about my whereabouts and surroundings so I know how to avoid sketchy people and places, especially in different cities we visit and have been in some run down sh!tholes looking for $1 pancakes of all things, my family is all aloof and blind to the fact that it's a choppy a$$ neighborhood and I'm like, lets get the hell out of here! lol

Holy smokes.. WTF!? That's an incredible record!
    If it's a matter of family safety I won't hesitate, but my Aikido instructor drilled something into us that I have never let go of, if you are defending yourself or your family and it is truly a life or death situation, do not strike to disable, strike to kill from the first swing. That said I love pancakes, but I am incredibly anal about what kind of neighborhoods or areas I take my family into, if I don't think it would be safe at 2am I won't take my family there at noon. It's my job to see to their safety and I will do so to the extreme.

Galactus hungers...
    Current
    His: 2006 MSRT8, K&N CAI, built and tuned by MPR Motorsports (WhiteHemi), forged pistons and a HHP Stg 2r cam, HHP HEMITUNER TCM, Paramount Stg 2 valve body, Mopar Performance high stall converter, Flowmaster Super 10s, 180° t-stat, Tranzformer, Street Edge coilovers, 275/35/20 Continental ExtremeContact DW (square), otherwise bone stock.
    397rwhp/399rwtq
    Personal best 8.473 in the 1/8 and spinning like a fool, on old Toyos, pre Tranzformer, old suspension, and old stock engine, new times to come.

Hers: 2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, bone stock and slow as a rock...
    MOPAR360
    Thanks 1FASTSOFA thanked for this post
    Likes ronan978, 1FASTSOFA liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikibeast View Post
    If it's a matter of family safety I won't hesitate, but my Aikido instructor drilled something into us that I have never let go of, if you are defending yourself or your family and it is truly a life or death situation, do not strike to disable, strike to kill from the first swing. That said I love pancakes, but I am incredibly anal about what kind of neighborhoods or areas I take my family into, if I don't think it would be safe at 2am I won't take my family there at noon. It's my job to see to their safety and I will do so to the extreme.

Galactus hungers...
    I whole heartingly agree 100%. I'm not there trying prove anything other than I want to keep my loved ones safe, that's it.

I know what you mean about sketchy parts of town and being very pro active. I hate how innocent my girl and siblings are when they want to go somewhere in a different city. It's both an adventure but nerve racking at the same time, because I know if anything were to go down it's just me doing the swingin' lol
    Likes Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The biggest issue I have about sport combat or even traditional martial arts is that, there are holes in the art. Say for example, in brazilian Jiu-Jitsu there is a home base safe position called "the guard", in which you're on your back spread eagle with your legs wrapped around the opponent. Matter of fact, I'd say 50% if not more of the art including submissions is based on the bottom guard (!), but in street altercations that takes it out of the equation completely lol. Even a rear naked choke does not prove to be effective if one of his buddies comes and kicks you in the head.

There are many other positions that are not to of your advantage and you're pretty much a sitting duck. One on one, it's the most effective sure but ONLY if they can get a hole of you with their grips and take you to the ground. Then it's lights out REAL QUICK. Once someone is trained well enough, you can just skip all the other stuff and go straight for the submission lol. Chances are, most people can't defend against it anyways being such a weird and unknown art.

A good example is Brian Ortega whom was trained by Rener Gracie himself in Torrence CA. You can't get more authentic BJJ training than from a Gracie themself!
    He had an unbeaten record (14-0) before facing Max Holloway (20-4), but during the entire fight he could NOT get Max to the ground despite many take down attempts. His boxing and striking was NOWHERE near as good as Max and he just got lit TF up. It was hard to watch. He's a Black belt as well in BJJ and been training since he was 14 I believe, he's 28 now.

Post Thanks / Like
    One of the reasons I really enjoyed vee-jitsu was it’s separation from the grappling and focusing on striking and defending the grapple by way of wrist locks , arm bars and chokes , but only on the defensive using your opponents energy against them(kind of like aikido and judo)
    Seedy parts of the city are not places I’d take my family , but places I work every single day. So in that , I have to be aware of my surroundings. I was taught very early in life to trust no one. Trust is something earned. Expect the least/worst from people and life becomes easier to swallow and digest. People these days have lost morals without a care in the world , some just have nothing to lose. With that I will also say I have met some very stand up and respectful people in the some of the worst neighborhoods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Likes 2010 300c, 1FASTSOFA, Tikibeast liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    My Taekwondo was 5th dan Black Belt and could be a real bad a$$. His advice was:
    1 - Walk away
    2 - If you can't walk away, disable your opponent with a kick. The side of the knee works. If they can't walk they can't do any harm.
    3 - If 1 & 2 don't work go for a kill shot.

When I took my Conceal Carry class the first thing the instructor said was, "If you are not ready to shoot to kill then this is not the class for you!"
    He also said, "Don't carry a gun you're are not willing to lose." That's why I carry cheap Taurus 9mm or a FMK 9mm (Made in the USA) as they are under $200 when on sale.
    OBTW - He was a LEO
    Last edited by hemi_57; 06-12-2019 at 09:53 AM.
    2017 Granite Crystal Scat Pack
    My Scat Pack Web Site
    Likes 1FASTSOFA, Tikibeast, ronan978 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ronan978 View Post
    One of the reasons I really enjoyed vee-jitsu was it’s separation from the grappling and focusing on striking and defending the grapple by way of wrist locks , arm bars and chokes , but only on the defensive using your opponents energy against them(kind of like aikido and judo)
    Seedy parts of the city are not places I’d take my family , but places I work every single day. So in that , I have to be aware of my surroundings. I was taught very early in life to trust no one. Trust is something earned. Expect the least/worst from people and life becomes easier to swallow and digest. People these days have lost morals without a care in the world , some just have nothing to lose. With that I will also say I have met some very stand up and respectful people in the some of the worst neighborhoods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the only real way to become a well trained martial artist is to be well rounded in both grappling and striking arts. I totally get what you mean about learning grappling defenses, as one does not have to be a master grappler in order to defend against one that is even well versed in the art. Just avoid being taken to the ground at all cost, because from what I've experienced, even a blue (1-2 years in) or purple belt (5 years in) can easily overwhelm someone that's not trained well on the ground, but once it's kept standing, most grappler's have only a very basic understanding of striking (thank God! lol)

Trust is an issue with me as well, but I trust my gut more than anything else. Having been around criminals my entire life and both sides of the Law there are good and bad on either sides. That being sad, I've found more loyalty among fighters and gangsters, more so than normal working folk or even self-proclaimed "good" people, so it's a coin toss at times, but I always trust my Gut regardless.

I used to work in some rough neighborhoods, drove through them daily, worked in and around them. It makes me very nervous taking loved ones anywhere near larger bad areas of the city because I know it's gonna be a long night. I'm from Alaska so it's very isolated up here and easy to stay away from rough areas (large crime rate for such a small city for some reason) but when I get down in the states, specifically Los Angeles, some parts are great but other areas I'm amazed by how run down they are. It's like a different planet. Not a snob by any means, but geeeezus..

Quote Originally Posted by hemi_57 View Post
    My Taekwondo was 5th dan Black Belt and could be a real bad a$$. His advice was:
    1 - Walk away
    2 - If you can't walk away, disable your opponent with a kick. The side of the knee works. If they can't walk they can't do any harm.
    3 - If 1 & 2 don't work go for a kill shot.

When I took my Conceal Carry class the first thing the instructor said was, "If you are not ready to shoot to kill then this is not the class for you!"
    He also said, "Don't carry a gun you're are not willing to lose." That's why I carry cheap Taurus 9mm or a FMK 9mm (Made in the USA) as they are under $200 when on sale.
    OBTW - He was a LEO
    For sure, people always praise Conor Mcgregor (love him or hate him, but at 145 he was great) for his striking and boxing, but if you watch ALL of his fights he peppers all his opponents with leg kicks FIRST and then go for the striking once their legs are all wobbled and bruised up. No longer being able to sit down on their strikes, be mobile or any real footwork they're sitting ducks.

I have no problem walking away from bullshiet any day of the week, but in dire situations it's gonna be a short night for them (hopefully lol) because I have absolutely no desire to fight in the street for anything other than to end things before they escalate.

Shoot to kill sounds harsh to many people, but so does my family at my funeral over some non-sense. In that regards, bang bang... bye bye.

Post Thanks / Like
    If I had some suggestions about anyone wanting to learn BJJ, I would suggest this;

Learn these basic escapes and MASTER THEM. They say that the best escape is to NOT become trapped in the first place, but come on only in a perfect world.

- Top mount escape (being pinned under someone), if you're a smaller person it's very easy to get pinned by a much larger one and if this happens it's game over real quick.

- Rear naked choke escape (the worse of the worse positions to get stuck in, I put this one as second most important because it's not as common to get caught in as the first one)

- Head lock or bully headlock escape. Most people don't know how to grapple or BJJ so they resort to headlocks, it's a built into our system to grab someone by the head and yank it as hard as you can. It's best to learn this escape because there is a high likely hood of this happening if you are ever in an altercation.

- Side control escape. Not common but it's a very useful one to know regardless. Common in BJJ, but on the street and if they have a knife you're gonna get stabbed or penis punched repeatedly.

Other than escapes, I'd like to add some very very basic BJJ chokes/submissions without over complicating things;

- Rear naked choke
    - Americana key lock
    - Ezekiel choke
    - S mount Arm bar or top triangle choke
    - Basic Heel hook
    - Standing arm triangle take down

and of course your very basic control moves-

- Knee on belly
    - S mount
    - Side control
    - Top mount
    - Top half guard