Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

EV versus Manual Transmission...

2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Just proves that the crunchy granolas are multiplying.

2016 Charger Scat Pack/LMI Intake/Hemifever tune/3.70 gears/Borla Atak/AES bypass/eBay longtube headers
    2016 Charger Scat Pack/LMI Intake/3.70 gears/Longtube headers/Borla Atak/Active exhaust delete/Hemifever Tuning

Post Thanks / Like
    For sure, some (minority) will view it as a disruptor...
    2005 Magnum RT---Viper Venom Red----440ci Aluminum block----Short Runner Valve Intake--410mm BAER 6S Monoblock Extreme--Eibach Multi-Pro 2

Custom--Grille Work--Hood--Headlights--Side View Mirrors--Rear Spoiler--Rear Diffuser--SRV Control System--Turbine Wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Manual trans is not even and option in most cars anymore. Sad for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    Soooo,,,Why is it that the Mfr's won;t offer the stick shift anymore ? Can't be the costs...Besides, Back in the day, the manual trans car would always achieve better gas mileage...especially in city driving...But, I think thanx to computer controls...that fact is now reversed....The manual trans car has to allow more fuel to engine as to not stall [?]..under load...As well as it is unable to operate with cylinder de-activations...Correct me if I'm wrong....Sooo, what use to be the economy is now the gas guzzler...and we always hear How they fight to get every MPG they can...Geeeez.....
    Last edited by OlGeezer2018; 02-13-2020 at 11:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I was shopping for a daily driver, I fell for the Toyota 86. Funny is, I actually had to pay extra for an auto just like we used to waaaay back in the day. Even in an econo box, I'm not banging gears in DFW. NO WAY NO HOW

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    Manual trans is not even and option in most cars anymore. Sad for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums
    In our eyes, for-sure.

Quote Originally Posted by OlGeezer2018 View Post
    Soooo,,,Why is it that the Mfr's won;t offer the stick shift anymore ? Can't be the costs...Besides, Back in the day, the manual trans car would always achieve better gas mileage...especially in city driving...But, I think thanx to computer controls...that fact is now reversed....The manual trans car has to allow more fuel to engine as to not stall [?]..under load...As well as it is unable to operate with cylinder de-activations...Correct me if I'm wrong....Sooo, what use to be the economy is now the gas guzzler...and we always hear How they fight to get every MPG they can...Geeeez.....
    There are a miriad of reasons sticks are going away. Computer control is not one of them though. Also, nowadays with modern transmission design, lockup converters for example along with optimized shift schedules have out-stripped any manual transmission efficiency by country miles.

The real reason is drivers have evolved; again - what we here place value in...is not indicative of the current sales market. We see this as disruptive. The market see's this, along with EVs, as evolution towards a livable planet for our children, their children's children, etc etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by punisher69 View Post
    When I was shopping for a daily driver, I fell for the Toyota 86. Funny is, I actually had to pay extra for an auto just like we used to waaaay back in the day. Even in an econo box, I'm not banging gears in DFW. NO WAY NO HOW

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Although my Magnum has stabilized mods-wise and I feel there is not much more I could do to improve on it's appearance / drivability without significant work (like welding up the rear doors and paneling it), drivetrain-wise installing a 6-spd would be the first order of the day. The second would be fitting badly (very badly) needed 345/25s by massaging the inner metal and purchasing deeper inner sections for the 3-pc wheels. Few on here, especially in recent years are likely to have seen this:

Last edited by Hemissary; 02-14-2020 at 11:29 AM.

Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea, sad for sure. Was fortunate to travel to Germany last year with my wife for her work. We rented a ford focus STATION WAGON! Not an SUV!
    And guess what? 6 speed manual, turbo diesel 4 cylinder, with stop/start. And ford doesn't sell it here? Really enjoyed the car, but we keep hearing not enough american buyers would buy a car like this so we don't get the option.If you can't tell, we loved the car, wish FCA would bring something similar into the US! And EVs have nice thrust, but no driver involvement, just an appliance with electronic gee-gaws!

Post Thanks / Like
    It's more than just American buyers are lazy and won't buy it (which is partly true). But the other piece is that the EPA is driving fuel economy targets for vehicles and the automatics provide them with a lot more control. They can force you to up-shift earlier, lock converters, etc. All the sort of stuff that makes our cars feel sluggish, but it gets them to the benchmark needed to pass for the EPA. And with lower take rates for manual transmissions, it doesn't make sense to engineer in a transmission and pay all the fee's to certify with the EPA. Sad to say, but we aren't going to reverse this process of losing manual transmission options any time soon unless the EPA relaxed emissions regulations. Not to mention there is a whole generation of kids who have no clue how to drive a stick because their parents didn't teach them. Its our fault too...
    Mopar11 Charger, MMX Cam, BBK Shorty Headers, Hemifever tune, Getrag 3.91 LSD

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kb67mopar View Post
    It's more than just American buyers are lazy and won't buy it (which is partly true). But the other piece is that the EPA is driving fuel economy targets for vehicles and the automatics provide them with a lot more control. They can force you to up-shift earlier, lock converters, etc. All the sort of stuff that makes our cars feel sluggish, but it gets them to the benchmark needed to pass for the EPA. And with lower take rates for manual transmissions, it doesn't make sense to engineer in a transmission and pay all the fee's to certify with the EPA. Sad to say, but we aren't going to reverse this process of losing manual transmission options any time soon unless the EPA relaxed emissions regulations. Not to mention there is a whole generation of kids who have no clue how to drive a stick because their parents didn't teach them. Its our fault too...

Its not laziness; again - a very tiny segment of the NA population is even mildly interested in performance - let alone driving a standard.

Overwhelmingly kids, millennials --> GEN Z are not interested in owning a car.
    Last edited by Hemissary; 02-14-2020 at 11:57 AM.

Likes punisher69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post

Its not laziness; again - a very tiny segment of the NA population is even mildly interested in performance - let alone in driving a standard.

Overwhelmingly kids, millennials --> GEN Z are not interested in owning a car.
    I'd argue a lot of it is laziness. I taught my wife how to drive one and she plain doesn't like having to do it. Overwhelmingly when I discuss it with people they gripe about all the shifting and their leg getting tired in traffic. Performance is a very small reason of why I like manual transmissions. But regardless of the reason, the end truth is the same, they are leaving the market place in our country.

And yeah, the latest generation is one I can't understand, but hey, that is the story of all generations, we always are incomprehensible by our parents and grandparents.
    Mopar11 Charger, MMX Cam, BBK Shorty Headers, Hemifever tune, Getrag 3.91 LSD
    Likes Hemissary liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In this case...it is understandable. The high expense, the wastefulness and the broadband environmental harm. They see public transportation for what it is. Walking, cycling are on their radar. They’re acting on what’s important to them...not us.

Totally understandable...

Post Thanks / Like
    The new generation...If they need something new to buy...Amazon prime will deliver it tomorrow...if they want something to eat,,,Grub hub will deliver shortly...just a few taps on their phones...Why be bothered with a car..?
    Need to visit...Uber is here right away...! Besides, They have thousands of "likes" [friends?] on Facebook....so why even travel...just sit and tap away on the phone...No need to actually see people...Need to get to a job? Nah..I'll work from home....
    Yup---We have paved the way for this to be the "norm"...Stick shift or auto cars...doesn't even matter...
    Last edited by OlGeezer2018; 02-14-2020 at 10:43 PM.
    Likes snobrdrdan liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemissary View Post
    In our eyes, for-sure.

There are a miriad of reasons sticks are going away. Computer control is not one of them though. Also, nowadays with modern transmission design, lockup converters for example along with optimized shift schedules have out-stripped any manual transmission efficiency by country miles.

The real reason is drivers have evolved; again - what we here place value in...is not indicative of the current sales market. We see this as disruptive. The market see's this, along with EVs, as evolution towards a livable planet for our children, their children's children, etc etc etc.

Although my Magnum has stabilized mods-wise and I feel there is not much more I could do to improve on it's appearance / drivability without significant work (like welding up the rear doors and paneling it), drivetrain-wise installing a 6-spd would be the first order of the day. The second would be fitting badly (very badly) needed 345/25s by massaging the inner metal and purchasing deeper inner sections for the 3-pc wheels. Few on here, especially in recent years are likely to have seen this:

Nice, but... How do you get in the darn thing? I don't see any door seams? Is this what you meant when you said "welding up the rear doors"?
    Likes DBL.DWN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by canislupus01 View Post
    Nice, but... How do you get in the darn thing? I don't see any door seams? Is this what you meant when you said "welding up the rear doors"?
    This is someone's rendition :^D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast