Post Thanks / Like

Paramount built transmission issues

I paid A LOT of money for my NAG1 transmission to be built and a TCM calibration provided by Paramount. It is a "Super Pro" level build. Unfortunately, my builder didn't ask Paramount or at least did not tell me that the shift quality would be completely compromised rendering the car undrivable on the street. I use this car as a daily driver, including transporting clients and family. No one will ride with me in this car now not to mention that I refuse to drive a car that chirps it's tires as it downshifts in every gear every time I come to a stop. It's like hitting a fire hydrant 4 times every time I stop the car.

I've talked to (more accurately asked but have been ignored for the most part) the owner and have been effectively told "too bad" and that I'm stuck with this piece of trash. I've got over $30k invested in mods on a car that can't be driven now.

My question is, this isn't 1975, line pressures are programmable now, does anyone know a good trans tuner that can help make this car driveable again? If a tune can't completely resolve the issue there must be something to better regulate the pressures at part throttle and while downshifting.

Todd
    2006 300c SRT8 392, Twin turbo Precision 305-6466.

Post Thanks / Like

Paramount built transmission issues

Not to be that guy...
    But that’s the nature of a built transmission. It is firm up and down.
    You can drop line pressures but from my experience with HPTuners, if you drop up or down shift pressures you must do both, essentially rendering the point of a built transmission (valve body/tcm) null.

I semi-daily my challenger with a built SHR NAG1. You get used to the shifts after a while and learn how to baby certain gears to make the gear drop less violent.

You can try High Horse Performance or Modern Muscle Xtreme (didn’t look at where you are located), there may be some more shops local to you that could talk you through some options.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Newoldchallenger; 10-01-2019 at 05:24 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I went thru when I Procharged my 2006 R/T. I wanted to get a Dings Valve body and tcm. I was worried it would be too harsh. I got a set of Alto clutches and rebuilt trans myself. The Alto clutches cut clutch pack clearance in half. Doesnt shift harsh with a tcm that was programmed from one of the trans performance outlet. Anyway Alto claims trans good for 700 HP.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe the tuning side is a characteristic of the NAG1 trans. I've had high HP transmissions that upshifted HARD at WOT and lived a long time under extreme conditions yet were civilized at part throttle and downshifts. There has to be solution, just need to find the right person. Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    The harder the shift the better IMO i have a Ding VB and it shifts firm actually i want it firmer so im having him do my TCM to his VB im running an AJ hemi tuner one right now...

Post Thanks / Like
    Had Hell Raiser build my trans, he installed the Dings valve body at that time with a FTI 2800 and I installed the Dings TCM tune, great combo. I did change the shift scheduling and a few other things that controlled shift timing, never touched the vital stuff though. Has a nice smooth down shift braking, like dropping gears in a manual. Initially it would down shift hard with a clunk and up shift too quick and lug motor. Set-up sport mode to be a lot more aggressive, there it barks the tires up shifting, just holds gears longer shifting at a higher RPM. Lots of trials, looking at different tunes helped, but I'm real happy with it now.
    13 Chrysler 300S, Stock 17 RAM 6.4 BGE with TSP Stage 4 boosted Cam, AIT 18% OD pulley, E-force 2.62 pulley(12.2 lbs boost),, Fastman 84+4 mm throttle body, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Trans by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73, Walbro 400LPH, DW 65# inj. aluminum rad. SRT fans. Brembo upgrade. Stage one MOPAR springs, XIX X39 22x9 +15 - 22x10.5 +22 with NITTO NT555 265/35R22 - 295/30R22

Post Thanks / Like
    Contact Paramount directly to see if they're willing to assist. HemiTuner Performance can also tune a TCM but if your entire setup came from Paramount, I'd start there.
    Last edited by BryGuy; 10-01-2019 at 07:18 PM.

2006 300SRT8
    SOLO Performance Mach X3 SRT exhaust / LMI V2 True CAI / Eibach Sways / StreetEdge coilovers / Trufiber hood / AMG paddles w/TRS300 wireless controller / Grant Revolution steering wheel / Arrington strut bar / BT engine bling incl. uni-strut caps / Rohana RC-10's / Kaption Audio amps, sub and speakers / Interior switch lighting by Diboblo / Instrument cluster by Black Cat Automotive and Tim Stone (TRS300) / StopTech SS brake lines

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes the tune has alot to do with it. My last tuner got my trans shifting much better. I thought for awhile I had to rebuild back to stock. The first tuner made the trans shift harsh.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info all. Bill at Paramount apparently had a change of heart and is sending a new TCM cal. If I still need help I'll contact one of those mentioned above.
    Likes blue_devil liked this post