Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

"frame" rust 2005 Magnum RT

WARNING: Graphic Rust!

Has anyone else had problems with rust in the unibody "frame" area in front of the rear wheels? There's a plastic panel that covers up this area which includes the rear lift/jack point. I just found this rust last week when that panel fell down and it's making me sick.

Can this be cut out and weld in a good patch? Has anyone had that done?

05 Magnum RT, 149k, great shape otherwise, owned since 2006, frequent underbody washes in winter but I live in northern Indiana...

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Man, that looks terminal. I'm not a body guy but I doubt that can be repaired safely.
    Thanks GTG88 thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It can probably be repaired but I bet it will cost about what a similar millage RT with no rust would.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Likes doublechaz liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    With luck, you can find an old-school welding shop that's not too busy, and can weld in some iron to cover up the holes as a temporary fix and give you back your jacking point. But if you take that to an auto body shop to have it cut out and repaired, sorry to say, it would cost more than the car's worth.
    "Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland
    Likes POWERMAN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told during my winter tire change that my jack points are eroded away, I didn't look at it yet, but I'm assuming it looks like this. I've been trying to hold onto my SRT but the rust on the hatch I've fixed a couple of times, and now if the underbody is eroded, I can't be bothered with it. I just haven't looked at it yet so it's out of sight, out of mind for now.
    2006 SRT-8 Magnum

Diablosport Intune
    Likes GTG88 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you guys need a good southern rust free Magnum that has a dropped valve seat to transplant your engines/drive trains.
    Likes KYUUBI liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Chicago winters has done the same thing to my 2005 RT. Last week a cross support by the bumper fell out. Both sides of it rusted through and one good bump set it free!
    Likes GTG88 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    By contrast, my 05 Magnum looks almost like new underneath. It's never been in snow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm going to take it in a few places to see if they can do anything. I have a hard time letting go of cars.
    Likes blue_devil liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    First estimate: $3,700

Post Thanks / Like
    May be time to move on.
    In January of 2000, my daughter who was going to school 6 hours away called to say her car had run hot again and she didn't want to stop so she continued to drive it to a safer place. It wouldn't start after that. I had put that 92 Pontiac Sunbird in the shop a couple times before for an overheating problem and had been gouged for all the usual stuff like a new radiator. So, I drove there and called a couple salvage yards. One offered $250 so I agreed. I had the title with me and they came with the tow truck and took it. I was driving my daughter back to her apartment and stopped at a Ford Dealer. They had a nice 99 Ford Contour with 23k miles so I bought it and sent her on her way. Sometimes you just have to let it go and move on. That Sunbird probably had a blown head gasket and needed a new engine and maybe a transmission after running it hot like she did. I would have paid the salvage yard to haul it away before I would have spent the money to put an engine in that sorry thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wheres the oP located?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GTG88 View Post
    I'm going to take it in a few places to see if they can do anything. I have a hard time letting go of cars.
    I'll have the hardest time letting go of mine because it's a SRT and they are virtually non existent where I am. It's been paid for forever, runs good and has never given me problems besides the regular front end stuff and a radiator. I have no idea what I'd replace it with without having to spend 4 to 5 times what it's worth. I think even if I have to stop driving it one day I'll keep it tucked away somewhere until I have money to fully restore everything, I don't think I'll ever let it go.
    2006 SRT-8 Magnum

Diablosport Intune
    Likes SteveFoy, GTSDart340, 2005rtmag, GTG88 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DBL.DWN View Post
    Wheres the oP located?
    Northern Indiana

Post Thanks / Like
    Easy to justify not spending any money on such an "old car"
    I'd definitely evaluate the whole underbody first.
    I mean if it was my Mag RT Id sure consider grafting sections of a good southwestern car on it.
    I can't tell you the last time I saw one on the road around here, surely a desirable car.
    I wonder if it even has to be a Magnum, aren't all LX and LC cars similar in structure?
    Maybe look for the newest (least rust) wrecked Police Charger you can find locally for parts.
    Hope you can figure a way to save it!
    Last edited by pursuitlx; 03-16-2021 at 12:58 AM.
    Likes GTG88, GTSDart340 liked this post

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast