Post Thanks / Like

When is too much too much?

Sorry, long read:

So recently I paid to get a brand new (remanufactured) transmission from a transmission shop. As much as I disputed needing it they had be by the balls so I had to pay the bill. I had a problem with it shifting into the next gear over 30mph. I made a thread about just having a new radio unit installed by a car audio shop and then experiencing this problem. They had my car for nearly a month (March the 8th to April the 2nd). I know, I should have gotten a second opinion before agreeing to having any work being done but it was what is was.

I had my car for less then two weeks before something else went wrong (April the 15th). I paid $5,800 for the remanufactured transmission and labor. The new problem I'm experiencing is gonna be around $1,700+ to fix. Something about the foot pedal switch and it's only available from Dodge/Mopar and needing a new crankshaft positioning sensor as well. Everything was operational. I could hear the fuel pumps engaging. I had enough juice to turn the starter over but nothing would happen. The car would not start nor did it display any codes or a check engine light.

Sense getting that radio installed I've had two catastrophic electrical problems. Either not being able to drive the vehicle over 30 mph or in this most recent case not starting. Unfortunately the shop I'm taking to will not admit any wrong doing from the radio installation (probably for legal reasons).

I want to know from the Magnum community or anybody else who comes across this thread has experienced back to back major problems that seriously make you question keep the car. I feel like I'm to blame for getting that aftermarket radio installed in the first place but now I'm faced with the dilemma for what else is gonna go wrong. I'm afraid of being stranded somewhere and having another large bill to pay.

Yes the vehicle is paid off and I've put a lot of money into it replacing mechanical parts preemptively as well as some aftermarket parts. Now, sense getting the new radio installed, I've been dropping a lot of cash unexpectedly and it's adding up.

What is your limit with a car? Any car, even if it is 1 of less than 1,000.

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on personal attachment.

My 06 charger Daytona (that I bought with 125k on it) has always been a car I wanted for the body style. I has a valve body issue, fuel pump issue and am fairly certain the torque converter is now going out at 150k. Unless something in life happens where I need the space or what (little) money I could get for it, it’s not leaving me.

I always joke with the wife when something happens that I’ll just sell it for something more practical. Sure failing parts are annoying but I just see it as a chance to upgrade stuff. I have a getrag and driveshaft waiting to go in and a it’s already got a nitrous system in it lol.

Same goes for my 13 challenger. I just has a lifter/rocker issue but I tore it down and put her back together. That car has so much money in it, i can’t get rid of it lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    The personal attachment is there! When I got the car it had nearly 90k on the odometer but I was fine with it. I knew I wanted to tackle replacing the parts that were wearing out myself and I did!

I've replaced majority of the front suspension components to get ready for the Mopar coilovers and sway bars I have sitting in a closet. I've also got the last new from the dealership Mopar TCM according to their database (at least that's what they told me). I just need a Diablo tuner.

Those parts were going to get installed after I got the radio situation taken care of in March. Unfortunately that's when these problems started happening.

I've read multiple articles that keeping a car is still cheaper than purchasing a new car. I can see there point it's just difficult being in the pit that I'm in. I've taken two L's this year from my car and it's only April.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Magnum Man SRT8 View Post
    What is your limit with a car? Any car, even if it is 1 of less than 1,000.
    I'd say you're there.

I tend to keep cars way too long, and I'll repair them when they break, but I've never paid $6,000 to repair anything other than collision damage paid for by an insurance company.
    "Many true sports cars can be outrun by a powerful sedan." - Sir William Lyons, Chairman, British Leyland
    Likes POWERMAN liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    It's hard to say. Around 2017 my 1979 Chrysler 300 was giving me fits, it needed so many things. I looked at some other cars, even made an offer. Then I went to work fixing it. Several months later, the guy called to finally accept my offer. Too late, I've got my car back in shape. I did eventually buy my Magnum, and sell the 300. The difference in my case was that I was only buying parts and doing my own work. Roll it over in your head for a while, don't be hasty. Whatever you decide, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    First off, I think you got took by an unscrupulous tranny shop. I've had transmissions "fixed" over replaced by an honest tranny shop. Water over the dam at this point for you.

You are now at that point where you need to just keep pushing on and keep fixing versus buying another pig-in-a-poke. At least you know what you have.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've read multiple articles that keeping a car is still cheaper than purchasing a new car.
    That statement may fly, but in two different directions. This is how I view it.

Keeping vs. purchasing = an equation
    ought to be grounded in logic and balanced by finance,
    not with sentiments or feeling for a car.
    Would you believe that a friend of mine got divorced over a second love?
    Yes, over an old 1965 Pontiac GTO when his wife was much younger.
    That was for real, his wife was so fed-up with him talking to a GTO. It was absurd!
    Having said that, some factors sit on one side of the equation:
    Most of us here are blessed with different levels of DIY repair capabilities.
    Other than paying for parts, labor charges are of no concern.
    While the other side of equation may include range of things starting with labor,
    breakdowns, dodging dealers, all the way up to safety concerns.

101 Simple Facts:
    btw sometimes we tend to shy away from stating the obvious, for fear of being labelled as silly
    or perhaps simple minded, but these are the obvious facts:
    1. Chryslers, and most cars for that matter are aimed full throttle at your wallet; after certain period/mileage.
    2. Having that emotional bond with any car may turn into a costly proposition, it may reach a financial breaking point.
    3. Like in anything else, a simple obvious fact: a newer car feels and does its job better than an old one.
    assuming tight finance is not a part of this equation.

My recent experience:
    1. I had 300 2007 I sold it once it reached 120.000. Endless front end problems just to name one.
    2. I got 300 2013 new, it's almost a carbon copy of the previous 2007,
    dealing again with front end issues at 60.000 all the way to the current mileage of 120.000.
    3. Back home, I have this old 2006 330i parked in the backyard.
    The only single repair was 2 years ago a valve cover seal.
    All other parts still factory!

Please note:
    I am not saying BMWs age better than Chrysler; that's very true in wine,
    The point I am making is the very simple fact:
    I'd paid 43k for the 330i (back then in 2006)
    the 300 Cost a bit over half of that.

Where do we go from here:
    BMW got my money upfront while Chrysler did not,
    They hope, for whatever reasons, we keep their cars till we reach the BMW mark.
    That is to say, $$ initial purchase + $$ long term repair cost = Chrysler long term price = BMW initial cost.
    Well, allow some room for $$ pluses and minuses

Good luck, and best wishes on whatever you decide.
    Last edited by BillB1; 04-19-2021 at 09:37 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything European is literally a ticking time bomb.

Just look at what Daimler did to Chrysler. Chrysler should have sold to Iacocca.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wagonmaster View Post
    Anything European is literally a ticking time bomb.

Just look at what Daimler did to Chrysler. Chrysler should have sold to Iacocca.
    To be fair,
    On the way in, and on the way out of the merger, they did a number on each others.

Chrysler Cowboys:
    Had no money, Daimler had the cash to keep it alive.
    Daimler injected fresh blood in technology, Pentastar appeared in 2009
    but was developed under Daimler.
    Transmissions, and rear differentials paved the way for Chrysler's SUV.
    it was not the Intrepid, that was Daimler too.

Daimler Knights:
    Did not leave Chrysler before repaying themselves with a bigger favor.
    In 2010, AMG took The Dodge Viper and made SLS out of it.
    Where is the Viper now?
    They forced the life out of it, they killed it with a bigger beast. That is,
    The Hellcat.

Post Thanks / Like
    Personally I think you need to be questioning the shop about all the repairs. It's not the radios fault.

$5,800 for a transmission??????????????? Holy CRAP! A transmission from the dealer is only $3000-3200 and it includes a new torque convertor.
    Add another $1000 for labor.

Honestly I think you need to get a 2nd opinion from a more reputable shop. It sounds like they are taking you to the cleaners.
    My 2 Ton Beast
    2007 Black 300 SRT8
    Procharged
    J_Spark Garage YT Channel
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo3...llSevp9qnpN6Q/
    Likes coanan, GTSDart340 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A lot of bad shops with very dishonest people running them. A real shame.

You could have bought an SHR "WAR VIKING" good for a 1000 hp for that money.

13 Chrysler 300S, new build. 6.4 (BGE)4XX stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4
    (Whipple Gen 5 3.0 (ordered 4/21/21)) FORE dual pump return fuel system, Meth injection, ID 1050X inj. MMX 95mm TB

AIT 18% OD pulley, 1 7/8 kooks long tubes w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back, FTI 2800 stall, Trans by Hellraiser, Dings Racing valve body and tune, Getrag 3.73 aluminum rad. SRT fans. Brembo upgrade. Stage one MOPAR springs, XIX X39 22x9 +15 - 22x10.5 +22 with NITTO NT420V 265/35R22 - 295/30R22

Post Thanks / Like
    Its easy for me to make this decision.

A brand new camry accord Subaru etc in modest territory is gonna run you 25-30k all day. People roll in and out of these types of rigs every few years like its cool. Loss is 50%+ and they are onto something else. Thats what that game costs to play.

Dropping the same loss average as a new car purchase into mechanical and cosmetic repairs into an aging magnum would have to exceed 2-3 k a year to surpass depreciation of your average sedan.

30k puts a 426 and new transmission into a Maggie. Just saying ������

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard question. I love my RT magnum long roof, nothing else new on the market to replace it as I hate SUVs and the only other long roof I like is the Audi RS6, well that's not happening at it's price $$$$! I retired to be my wife's caregiver, the magnum is perfect for her wheelchair in back. Just hit 70k so I keep it up, hopefully lasting us much longer as we drive around 5-10k a year. If they only made a new magnum...I'm keeping mine as long as I can.
    "Long Roofs Are Cool!"

Post Thanks / Like
    It can also be much cheaper if you aren't looking at a rebuild.

A couple years ago I installed a stall torque converter for racing. Got the trans flushed after the install, and I lost the 3-4 shift. Trans likely got cooked from the years of racing with the factory trans cooler, and the gunk in the old fluid is probably what was holding it together (it drove fine to the shop after the install).

Managed to find a used nag 1 out of a 2010 charger, with a transfer case, for $500. I was able to install it myself in a garage with the car up on jackstands (I did have a jack made specifically for transmissions though). Honestly the hardest part was getting the converter to seat in properly. The rest was easy, just time consuming. Aside for tie rods and axles, knock on wood that's the most expensive fix I've had since I bought the car at 70k km (over 200 now, with probably a couple thousand passes at the track)

2008 Dodge Magnum SXT AWD - Daily Driver
    2005 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD - Weekend Toy
    2012 Dodge Avenger R/T - Daily Driver

Performance mods: Edge 3200 Stall, HP Tuners, SLP LM2, Custom Dual CAI, BCRacing Coilovers, R1 Concepts brakes, Tranzformer, HemiTuner TCM, Paramount Stage 2 Valve Body, Borg Warner Transfer Case
    Other: 2008 SRT Fascia, Road and Track Seats

60' - 1.95
    1/4 - 13.97 @ 99.7MPH