Post Thanks / Like

Kenne Bell 6.1 Oil Leak

This has probably been discussed before but I figured I would see if anyone has any insight. I have had a nagging oil leak on my 6.1 the past couple of years and honestly I originally thought it was the rear seal so I was just living with it. I dont drive the car a ton so it's been more of just an annoying thing. Finally got some time to look at it this weekend and found the valley under the blower manifold was full of oil. My assumption is the manifold gasket is leaking so I started taking it all apart. I seem to remember this being somewhat common but would appreciate any insight. Any recommendations on better gaskets or install methods to help? Also I run a two catch can setup. First one is off the blower manifold port to a catch can and then to the spot behind the throttle body. Second is off the oil fill port to a catch can and down to the intake tube after the filter. I did find that the hoses I used off the blower manifold port were very flimsy and could have definitely been collapsing. Would that cause the gasket to fail? I don't run a PCV, should I be with this setup? It does smoke a bit on startup, probably from oil getting past the gasket and will puff a little at throttle hit. Thanks for the help, I want to get this figured out once and for all.
    2010 Hemi Orange R/T STP 6 speed -- 6.1 swap. HHP 2r cam and heads, 12.00 @ 116 NA... Now with KB 2.8 LC and Snow stage 3
    1970 Challenger 340 Stroker 4.10s 727 w/4000 stall
    2010 Black SRT8 Jeep - Wife's ride

Post Thanks / Like
    Can you explain the first can? You have it on a blower port?

Sent from my iPhone using Scat Pack Forums

Post Thanks / Like
    It's on the manifold port where the supplied Kenne Bell catch can would have originally gone.
    2010 Hemi Orange R/T STP 6 speed -- 6.1 swap. HHP 2r cam and heads, 12.00 @ 116 NA... Now with KB 2.8 LC and Snow stage 3

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks DBL.DWN thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I used cosmetic intake gaskets and around both the small ports i out a thin layer of the right stuff sealant and seems to really help a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by us1champ View Post
    I used cosmetic intake gaskets and around both the small ports i out a thin layer of the right stuff sealant and seems to really help a lot.

I think I used cometic as well but no sealant. Did you put it on the head surface or on top of the gasket? It looks like the mopar gaskets have o rings on them. I wonder if they would be better.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a lot of issues with mopar gaskets. The thin rubber is hard to keep from ripping.
    I put a thin layer on both sides of the gasket around the ports

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by us1champ View Post
    I had a lot of issues with mopar gaskets. The thin rubber is hard to keep from ripping.
    I put a thin layer on both sides of the gasket around the ports

Ok thank you for the help! I am going to use the Mmx cometics and try your method on the ports.