Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How many races lost do to stock Nag 1?

These things have such lazy inconsistent shifts. For those with upgraded units, do you feel a huge difference. Is the tranny upgrade enough to make a car lengths difference if two motors were equal?

I raced an older mustang Shelby gt500, maybe 07-09 and jumped him, had him by a car length and every time my ride shifted he gained ground, but not quite enough to catch up to me. It's very frustrating, so I was curious if its worth the $4k performance wise to upgrade? Forget the power handling aspect, I understand the value in that aspect. I'm speaking strictly performance numbers wise.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have found the Nag1 to be a great trans....are you manually shifting or letting the trans shift itself?

Thanks texasraider thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have no problems with the quality of the unit, but the thing has some of the laziest "slingshot" type shifts I've dealt with in a performance car. Hit the gas, bite down on your lip and wait for that delayed reaction to happen as it slowly shifts.... To answer your question, I let it do the shifting. I grew up driving standards and the tap shift without the clutch really messes with me. I tend to over rev on that, but even then when I up shift its a pretty slow response in comparison to when I hit it. It has a delayed reaction like my mouth before I say something really stupid to my wife.

Post Thanks / Like
    Again, I'm talking in stock form with only the minimal diablo adjustments that can be made. I know as a base guys like Paramount and Southern Hotrod make beasts out of Nag1's.

It just really show up on me when I'm up against a car that's obviously in the same power range as I am. I don't know what a Shelby Gt500 pushes hp/tq wise, but we were exactly equals. I got the jump and he made up ground during shift. Other than that we stayed in the exact same position vs each other all the way through. If had stronger shifts he wouldn't have made up any ground at all.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was able to run mid 10's on an upgraded Nag. Obviously there was a whole lot of other things that were part of the package but the trans itself performed pretty much flawlessly, shifting very well. Until you really start getting into the nether regions with HP or trying to launch at over 5K rpms, the Nag is a good, solid choice.

The electronics however are a whole 'nother story...
    10.67 NA/ 10.20 w/125 shot @ full weight
    2006 Chrysler 300 SRT; 426cid, 11.5:1 by BFNY and Billy Briggs Racing; BFNY/Frank Cam, 6.1 Heads by Thitek; Arrington ported intake and TB; American Racing Headers and full catback; Paramount trans w/brake; FTI 4000 converter; DSS Driveshaft, Scat Pack rear cradle and ZF Diff w/3.90 gears, Nitrous Outlet Plate System

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe get some blue top solenoids. It will make it shift quicker and harder. They cost about $350 and are easy to install.
    Inertia 426 Stroker, Inertia 234/245/115 LSA custom cam, Arrington Stage 4 heads, MACK BUILT ported intake, LMI True CAI, ATI 5% OD Pulley, Pypes Race Pro 3" exhaust w/o cats, Paramount trans & tcm, Lakewood 90/10s, FTI converter, 3.91 Getrag, Nitrous Outlet Direct Port w/ nano & dedicated fuel system, Race stars w/ MH fronts and Hoosier Slicks, Tuned Diablotoona!

426 NA 1/8 PB: 7.09 @ 94 mph w/ 1.50 60 ft. DA 800 ft
    426 N20 1/8 PB: 6.40 @ 111 mph w/ 1.46 60 ft DA 3400 ft

426 NA 1/4 PB: 11.33 @ 122 mph w/ 1.58 60 ft
    426 N20 1/4 PB: 10.14 @ 135 w/ 1.49 60 ft
    Likes Red Bull SRT8 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Forget about getting a new trans.......... a Mopar TCM will give you a car's length! More than a car's length. Really.
    2006 Charger R/T with Road & Track

10.93 @ 125.6

426 / Apache Heads / 239/247 Cam / Ported 6.1 Intake / 90mm TB / FTI 4400 TC / Getrag 3.23 / Tuned by JerseyBoy
    Likes renman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I'm not in the crazy hp range, but I'm in the high 400, (485) whp range with a NA stroker. I believe the Shelby I raced is in the 500's crank, but not sure wheel. How much hp is enough before an upgrade is noticeable?

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you researched a Tranzformer?

inTune 91 CAI, 180 stat, BB 6dB reso delete,Tranzformer, MDS indicator, ESP/BAS switch. Wire mesh grille, smoked and flashing side markers, 9005 2400k 65W fogs, rear fogs, debadged and demolded, 245/45/20 and 295/40/20 Continental DW's on 9"/10" F/R Viper Replicas, BCR Coilovers, Drake strut brace. Interior accent LED 's. 55/35 tint, BT catch can. LED interior lighting. BT bling, front parking sensors. Rear seat heaters. Color matched tails "MoPar" puddle lights. Custom front lip.
    MyGig 730N, Pyle 9.2" screen, iPod, front and rear cams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by texasraider View Post
    Well I'm not in the crazy hp range, but I'm in the high 400, (485) whp range with a NA stroker. I believe the Shelby I raced is in the 500's crank, but not sure wheel. How much hp is enough before an upgrade is noticeable?
    Good to about 550hp.....and as mentioned the Tranzformer will completely change the feel of the trans..

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a tranzformer and between it, the edge converter my original tranny blew metal chunks. I replaced with another low milage stocker and dumped the edge converter and tranzformer. This is not a review of the tranzformer as I had a lot of fun with it and it was a great product.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will try the Mopar TCM route. How much difference does the stage 2 valve body make?

Post Thanks / Like
    I had the most success with the combination of FTI converter, blue tops on a stock valve body, and a Mopar TCM.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

11.30 @ 116 mph (2016 Ram 1500 Sport 2wd with SRT 392 swap)

Likes robsrt, 11R/TnBLK, dwhip, JD_SRT liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I 2nd the Fti converter. I love mine. Mopar tcm I never had much luck with nor the tranzformer. I just didnt like they way they felt.
    Inertia 426 Stroker, Inertia 234/245/115 LSA custom cam, Arrington Stage 4 heads, MACK BUILT ported intake, LMI True CAI, ATI 5% OD Pulley, Pypes Race Pro 3" exhaust w/o cats, Paramount trans & tcm, Lakewood 90/10s, FTI converter, 3.91 Getrag, Nitrous Outlet Direct Port w/ nano & dedicated fuel system, Race stars w/ MH fronts and Hoosier Slicks, Tuned Diablotoona!

426 NA 1/8 PB: 7.09 @ 94 mph w/ 1.50 60 ft. DA 800 ft
    426 N20 1/8 PB: 6.40 @ 111 mph w/ 1.46 60 ft DA 3400 ft

426 NA 1/4 PB: 11.33 @ 122 mph w/ 1.58 60 ft
    426 N20 1/4 PB: 10.14 @ 135 w/ 1.49 60 ft
    Likes 11R/TnBLK liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I went from a stock NAG1 with a 4400 stall to an Enhanced Transmission (Sublime130) built NAG1 with upgraded valve body and a ProTorque 2800-3000 stall and noticed a huge difference. Of course, the original transmission was beat to ever-loving death, but I had a few good miles on it before it croaked so I got a good feel for it when they got swapped.
    The new unit simply rocks. I am running an MTCM so that helps but I get looks when I bark first, second and third gear.

My answer is yes...the upgraded transmission will be good for keeping that lead on the competition as you will enjoy quicker, firmer shifting which will translate to time in the end.

And yeah, I now get into my wife's 06 R/T and the shifting feels like it takes half a day to shift...there is literally that much difference.
    2006 Charger Brilliant Black R/T w/R&T Package, 6.1 Arrington based 426 Hemi @ 13:1 compression 2016 Hellcat Charger rear cradle and brakes swap, DSS 4" custom driveshaft, 3.09 Scat Pack rear diff.
    Likes texasraider liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Share This Thread